Public Perception: Disneyland Paris's need for updates?

Started by montaguewarner, April 19, 2010, 02:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdough

Quote from: "TimmyTimmyTimmy"
Quote from: "dgdough"
Quote from: "lorrig"It could be that Disneyland Paris is in comparison very expensive for most Europeans compared to the American parks. In the USA, if you can drive to one of the parks, the car fuel is dirt cheap, if not internal flights are very cheap as well and the cost of the hotels can extremely reasonable. Here most of us will have to pay a lot more for a flight and then the cost of the disney hotels are very expensive.Therefore, we have very high expectations of what Disney should be about. When I was young Disneyland was somewhere you went to if your parents won the pools (these were the days prior to the lottery being around and the nearest park was in Florida.)
A lot of Europeans will only go as a once off rather than every year, so often so we expect the best.
When we visited for the first time last year we booked into sit down restaurants everyday, mainly as we don't eat fast food and we wouldn't let our one year old anywhere near a chicken nugget. It's just little things like this that increase the price and therefore our expectations.
I loved every minute of being in DLRP but can understand what puts people off going.

I've found the opposite as far as flights.  From NY to Florida it's usually 2-300 dollars for roundtrip but from London to Paris it's more like 60 Pounds.  For those of us in the Northeast or midwest, Florida and California are quite far.  But, France seems to be very easily accessible to most European countries.

I  :D  at your chicken nugget reference though.  hehe.

I wonder, I haven't checked, how much more the hotels are in DLRP.  Is it that lopsided?

To eat, drink and sleep anywhere near Paris is VERY expensive for most european families. Going to Disneyland Resort Paris means a stay for atleast 3-4 days.
I live in Sweden. Swedeen has a well off population. But still going to a Disneyland is absolutely not an option since there are many themeparks with more and wilder rides closer to home and alot cheaper.
Let´s not forget about people that live in central Europe. Just the entrence is far too expensive for most people that have children in those countries.
Disney and Paris is NOT a good combination if you don´t have ALOT of money to spend.

In Scandinavia going to a themepark is a one day thing. Most people would never even think of spending 3-4 days in a themepark resort.

That makes a lot of sense to me but I just don't see how that means it's cheaper for people in the States to go to Florida or California.  Especially for those that live in places like New York.  I've been to Disneyworld twice, first time was when I moved from Texas (23 hours to Orlando, FL) to North Carolina and the other time was when I lived in North Carolina (still a 10 1/2 hour drive and was 2 days do to young children) and we stayed 5 days and 7 days respectively.  And that's fairly close compared to living in central New York State.  But, torrig could be right if the hotel situation is that much lopsided.  I've been married for 10 years and that's pretty much my start time for wanting to go to Disney parks, I've gone twice and this upcoming visit to DLRP will be the third time.  Maybe I'm in the minority of Americans but I felt the poster thought most Americans go to disney once a year or something.  There are plenty of waterparks, amusement parks closer to our homes that are much cheaper as well.

Maybe I misunderstood the intent of the post, I just didn't agree with DLRP being more expensive (at least by a large margin) than other parks.  My stay (family of 5 with baby free) of 5 nights/6 days at the DCR is around $1,900.00 (1300.00 Pound).  I've checked with WDW and a comparable stay (I used one of the cheaper military resorts on WDW to compare with DCR) and it was about $1650.00 (1130.00 Pounds).  I think one of the best things though is I can drive to DLRP in 5 1/2 hours from where I live now (Stuttgart, Germany).  So, I live early morning and get there by mid day and still have a half a day to go to the park.  Whereas, many of the places I've been in the States have been very long drives where I've used more gas and had to pay for hotels/motels on the road because the car trip was so long.  I think all in all it works out to be very close to the same price.

Anyway, sorry, I realize situations are different and maybe my situation is rare...just wanted to share it in case it helped someone.

dgdough

Quote from: "tubbsy"Well put TimmyTimmyTimmy. we've had to save hard for this trip. Its certainly a dream holiday for a lot of my friends.
We are lucky in this part of the UK as we have 4 big theme parks within an hour of us-definately a day trip more than a stay for a few days.
btw-chnge of subject slightly- I'm still puzzled why DLP doesnt have bigger water rides apart from our very much loved POTC :D . We go to Legoland a lot and that does have water rides. Spare clothes are always in the boot of the car! :lol:

Legoland is great, only an hour a way too for us!  :thumbs:

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Ok, compare Disneyland Paris entrence price to Tokyo Disneyaland och Hong Kong Disneyland...
Where the flight is more expensive to asia the prices for a place to eat and sleep are higher in France. Most cheap places in Paris are terrible when compared what one would get for the same money in Hong Kong and Tokyo.
The fact remains how one ever wants to turn this around that most people in Europe will never ever have enough money to plan a visit to a place like Disneyland Paris. Europe is more than just France, Britain, Spain and Italy. Europe is Poland, Russia, Estonia, Albania, Ukraine, Romania and many more places where people make FAR from Disney entrence fee money. In many countries in Europe people even starve.

My parants never had the money to take us to Disneyland. None of my friends could go there. We went to Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen and sometimes to Grönalund.
I save all that I can to go to Disneylands all over the world... one thing is for sure, it is very expensive in Paris. I am glad I´m not a father that has to tell my children "we can´t afford it". Disneyland Paris is far far away... even more so than Walt Disneyworld to most europeans. Even the ones that can afford Disneyland Paris often choose to go to Walt Disneyworld in Florida for just a bit more money but ALOT more fun.

disney-dan

I think the OP has got things twisted here a little. When people complain of old attractions at WDW or DLP it's because they look old and run down. People then compare the newer ToT to the faded and run down PM and say PM is poor. Admittedly some things can always be updated (animatronics etc) but the ride itself will remain the same. DLR keeps on top of its refurbs and so their classic attractions still look fresh and new and so people don't complain about them.
Have a Magical day!!

DD

TimmyTimmyTimmy

All the water areas looked terrible in DLP when I was there last year. One of the dolls in a small world was clearly broken and many of the others had big cracks...
StarTours had broken dirty seats and the projection was looking older than the first Star Wars movie.
Peter Pan ride had missing lights all over...
The park was also dirty. Not at all as clean and nice like in Tokyo or Hong Kong.
Just a few memories from Disneyland.
DLP should have higher standards than that since the price is higher. Disney used to be all about perfection.
...and some darkrides are just old from the start, a bit too old after all these years.

dgdough

Quote from: "TimmyTimmyTimmy"Ok, compare Disneyland Paris entrence price to Tokyo Disneyaland och Hong Kong Disneyland...
Where the flight is more expensive to asia the prices for a place to eat and sleep are higher in France. Most cheap places in Paris are terrible when compared what one would get for the same money in Hong Kong and Tokyo.
The fact remains how one ever wants to turn this around that most people in Europe will never ever have enough money to plan a visit to a place like Disneyland Paris. Europe is more than just France, Britain, Spain and Italy. Europe is Poland, Russia, Estonia, Albania, Ukraine, Romania and many more places where people make FAR from Disney entrence fee money. In many countries in Europe people even starve.

My parants never had the money to take us to Disneyland. None of my friends could go there. We went to Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen and sometimes to Grönalund.
I save all that I can to go to Disneylands all over the world... one thing is for sure, it is very expensive in Paris. I am glad I´m not a father that has to tell my children "we can´t afford it". Disneyland Paris is far far away... even more so than Walt Disneyworld to most Europeans. Even the ones that can afford Disneyland Paris often choose to go to Walt Disneyworld in Florida for just a bit more money but ALOT more fun.

Look brother, I don't refute anything you are saying.  What I'm saying is I don't see the difference between people in the states and Europe.  Do you think there are no people starving in the states and do you think there are families that can NEVER go to Disney?  It's just not true, we have people that starve as well and people that never ONCE go to any of the Disney's.  That's my point.

montaguewarner

Fair Play dgdough! :)
Another point is...:
The thing that the american parks benefit hugely (and in Anaheim's case - too hugely) is Annual Passholders, So there visitor numbers are way up but these annual pass holders don't bring in much money! They live nearby, drive in often alone, put strain on resort infastructure by parking for a few hours with one care per person and stay in the parks for just 3-4 hours often, normally spending nothing. At least DLP's visitors are spending cash while they are there! Annual Pass holders are great for visitor numbers but they cause so many problems like overcrowding at odd times during the day, Just look at the latest pass from Team Disney Anaheim, its like $40 for a summer holiday pass, its outrageous!
Past Visits
DLP - JUN 2005 - Val D\'Europe
DL - APR 2006 - Disneyland Hotel
DLP - AUG 2009 - Val D\'Europe
DLP - JUL 2010 - Val D\'Europe
DLP - JUN 2011 - Val D\'Europe

TimmyTimmyTimmy

QuoteLook brother, I don't refute anything you are saying.  What I'm saying is I don't see the difference between people in the states and Europe.  Do you think there are no people starving in the states and do you think there are families that can NEVER go to Disney?  It's just not true, we have people that starve as well and people that never ONCE go to any of the Disney's.  That's my point.

Yes true people starve in both places. But standards are still higher for in America than in Europe... and even if that wouldn´t be true it would still be many huge differnces when it comes to people in USA and America. Europe is not a nation. Every single country has different cultures and traditions. One of the few things they have in common is that they don´t share the same "going to themeparks traditions" with USA.
 I´m not sure but are there many in USA that make 250 Dollars for more than fulltime work? Western Europe have ok standards. But in central and eastern Europe the difference is huge and things are not as easy. Disney is not even aiming at the people in these countries.  
It is harder for a European to go to a Disneyland than it is for an American. Nothing can change that fact. I am also very sure that Disneyparks in Europe for that reason will never see the same numbers as Walt Disneyworld even if they opened more parks in Paris.
That is also why Disney should make these once or twice in a lifetime visits more special and uppgrade the parks more and keep them cleaner.

dgdough

QuoteLook brother, I don't refute anything you are saying.  What I'm saying is I don't see the difference between people in the states and Europe.  Do you think there are no people starving in the states and do you think there are families that can NEVER go to Disney?  It's just not true, we have people that starve as well and people that never ONCE go to any of the Disney's.  That's my point.

Yes true people starve in both places. But standards are still higher for in America than in Europe... and even if that wouldn´t be true it would still be many huge differnces when it comes to people in USA and America. Europe is not a nation. Every single country has different cultures and traditions. One of the few things they have in common is that they don´t share the same "going to themeparks traditions" with USA.
 I´m not sure but are there many in USA that make 250 Dollars for more than fulltime work? Western Europe have ok standards. But in central and eastern Europe the difference is huge and things are not as easy. Disney is not eaven aiming at the people in these countries.  
It is harder for a European to go to a Disneyland than it is for an American. Nothing can change that fact. I am also very sure that Disneyparks in Europe for that reason will never see the same numbers as Walt Disneyworld even if the opened more parks in Paris.
That is also why Disney should make these once or twice in a lifetime visits more special and uppgrade the parks more and keep them cleaner.

Good point!

_Natalie_x

Quote from: "tubbsy"Well put TimmyTimmyTimmy. we've had to save hard for this trip. Its certainly a dream holiday for a lot of my friends.
We are lucky in this part of the UK as we have 4 big theme parks within an hour of us-definately a day trip more than a stay for a few days.
btw-chnge of subject slightly- I'm still puzzled why DLP doesnt have bigger water rides apart from our very much loved POTC :D . We go to Legoland a lot and that does have water rides. Spare clothes are always in the boot of the car! :lol:

I agree! I dont see why there arnt water rides like flumes or even effects on certain rides that will wet you abit.. I love water rides and don't mind having wet hair for the rest of the day ! After all, the hotel is only a short walk away if you go on the water ride before you leave.. I think itis something they should look into, maybe if they introduce a PATF ride in the future.. because alot of that movie is spent in the rivers of the Bayou !! <3
We made a wish.. and believed and believed and VOILA![/color]
Here we are... <3[/b]

britincgn

But DLP is open all year round and anyone who has visited when the snow lies will realise that it would not work,and yes I know you can turn the splash levels down but its still impossible not to get wet.There are so many great rides and shows that are missing from DLP which would be much better for the park.
On the other hand Id like a completly indoor Splash Mountain .

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "britincgn"But DLP is open all year round and anyone who has visited when the snow lies will realise that it would not work,and yes I know you can turn the splash levels down but its still impossible not to get wet.There are so many great rides and shows that are missing from DLP which would be much better for the park.
On the other hand Id like a completly indoor Splash Mountain .

It snows in Tokyo in the winter sometimes... they don´t have any problems with their Splash Mountain... infact... it is THE best Splash Mountain. ...and you really don´t get that wet, just by a few drops.

RnRCj

I think Splash Mountain is the attraction that Disneyland Park needs most of all. With some good advertising possibly a new original theme I really think it could draw in the crowds. They must base the attraction mainly around a strong story though and not put the main focus on it being a wet-ride. It doesn't help that it has "splash" in the title so they might have to consider renaming it.

I've heard so many people say things like: "Disneyland Paris was great but it was disappointing that there was no Splash Mountain."

Also, purely to start a healthy argument, I have never heard any guest say: "I think Walt Disney Studios could do with a few fun fair rides based on Toy Story." :mrgreen:

RockNRoller

Quote from: "dgdough"

I´m not sure but are there many in USA that make 250 Dollars for more than fulltime work? Western Europe have ok standards. But in central and eastern Europe the difference is huge and things are not as easy. Disney is not eaven aiming at the people in these countries.  
It is harder for a European to go to a Disneyland than it is for an American. Nothing can change that fact. I am also very sure that Disneyparks in Europe for that reason will never see the same numbers as Walt Disneyworld even if the opened more parks in Paris.

Good point!
Problem is Timmy Timmy Timmy that you cant lower prices if you want the parks upgraded. The money has to come from somewhere, future investment is part of the price of your entrance ticket.
As for keeping them clean,  i dont think I have ever seen a piece of litter lying around that park for more than a few minutes before a CM has picked it up, On one occasion I saw Prince Charming pick up a wrapper sigh as if to say why and then put it in a bin.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Good point![/quote]
Problem is Timmy Timmy Timmy that you cant lower prices if you want the parks upgraded. The money has to come from somewhere, future investment is part of the price of your entrance ticket.
As for keeping them clean,  i dont think I have ever seen a piece of litter lying around that park for more than a few minutes before a CM has picked it up, On one occasion I saw Prince Charming pick up a wrapper sigh as if to say why and then put it in a bin.[/quote]

DLP is far away from as clean as the asian parks. That is one thing that could be changed easy. Fading paint here and there makes a mess. People expect much for Disney money. It´s just that simple. Disneyland in Paris... needs more.