Indian Canoes

Started by RiverRogue, June 10, 2010, 05:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRogue

A little addendum to a Q&A from photosmagiques:

QuoteI heard there were hidden caves beneath Big Thunder Mountain, which were originally visited by the Indian Canoes. Since this ride is gone, I've never seen them. Can you tell me where they are ?

It took me some time to answer this question because I was waiting on an answer from a friend over at WDI. According to my friend, there were no caverns the canoes went in.

They did come close to Smuggler's Cove, a hide out for the pirates seen in Davy Crockett's television series.

True, the canoes didn't enter any caves, but did row past them on the north tip of Big Thunder Island. The caverns were originally filled with Indian artifacts and as they're hidden by rockwork and vegetation they can't be seen any other way (except when exploring the island on foot which I don't recommend unless you happen to work there and know your way around).

Disneyland Paris Treasures

Thanks a lot, I am looking for information about these caves for some time now. I think they are HERE, hidden behind the smaller rocks in the water in front, correct?

I am looking for them every time I visit. If one is not too small, one can spot the upper part of the caves when on the first floor of the riverboat and looking at the right place at the right time. At least if I am not mistaken about the position of the caves.

Sadly, I did not try the canoes back then, although I was there they were still active  :cry:

Festival Disney

It says in my 1992 Souvenier "Euro Disney" book (the purple one)...
QuoteMore daring guests should try their hand at the Indian Canoes, moored at an old Indian landing bay decorated with hides and birch bark. Assisted by an Indian guide guests paddle up river past abandoned mines, under a rocky arch that spans the river's two islands and down through a flooded cavern beneath Big Thunder Mountain.
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

RiverRogue

Quote from: "Nicolai"Thanks a lot, I am looking for information about these caves for some time now. I think they are HERE, hidden behind the smaller rocks in the water in front, correct?

That's the spot. There was whole back-story developed about the various eras in the "history" of Big Thunder Mountain, including the exploration of these caves.

montaguewarner

I didnt even know DLP used to have the indian canoes? Where is the loading bay?
Past Visits
DLP - JUN 2005 - Val D\'Europe
DL - APR 2006 - Disneyland Hotel
DLP - AUG 2009 - Val D\'Europe
DLP - JUL 2010 - Val D\'Europe
DLP - JUN 2011 - Val D\'Europe

ScouseMouse

I was only talking about these the other day. I went on the Canoes in June 1992, the loading bay was round to the right hand side of Big Thunder Mountain. I can't remember the details of caves but I do remember them being quite unstable and hard work. I was amazed we got back to thesafety of dry land without taking a dip in the lake. A bit dissapointed they are gone :(  as we are heading back to Disney in December after 18 years :D  :D/ .

Disneyland Paris Treasures

Quote from: "ScouseMouse"I was only talking about these the other day. I went on the Canoes in June 1992, the loading bay was round to the right hand side of Big Thunder Mountain. I can't remember the details of caves but I do remember them being quite unstable and hard work. I was amazed we got back to thesafety of dry land without taking a dip in the lake. A bit dissapointed they are gone :(  as we are heading back to Disney in December after 18 years :D  :D/ .

Don't be disappointed, to be honest I don't think they would be running in December anyway :)

As you have been in 1992: do you still have any interesting photos from back then of the park or the hotels? I too was there in 1992, but I wasn't smart enough to take many photos back then :( and I love to see (and collect) vintage material.

RiverRogue

Quote from: "montaguewarner"I didnt even know DLP used to have the indian canoes? Where is the loading bay?

It was where Pocahontas Indian Village is now. You can still find the narrow channel used for boarding on the far end of the playground... It's actually still used as such for the annual Cast Member canoe races which are happening right these days.

Festival Disney

Quote from: "RiverRogue"
Quote from: "montaguewarner"I didnt even know DLP used to have the indian canoes? Where is the loading bay?

It was where Pocahontas Indian Village is now. You can still find the narrow channel used for boarding on the far end of the playground... It's actually still used as such for the annual Cast Member canoe races which are happening right these days.

Do the use the original Canoes for these races?  :lol:
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

RiverRogue

Quote from: "Festival Disney"Do the use the original Canoes for these races?  :lol:

No, but I hear that some of the original canoes are on display at the Davy Crockett Ranch. The others might have been scrapped or are in storage somewhere backstage. The current racing canoes aren't themed, unfortunately.

RiverRogue

I guess I'll honor my username and answer some other questions regarding the Rivers of the Far West that have come up over at Photos Magiques...

The Keelboats can't run the canoe route because, as the person correctly guessed, the river isn't deep enough in several parts and there isn't enough clearance to the sides in others. Also, the canoes used to pass under Rainbow Arch (the "natural" stone arc) and the keelboats' mast might get in the way there.

The two "big" riverboats in theory still operate together at times of high affluence. This was still the case as recent as last summer when all four boats were out on the river on certain days. Right now, however, the Molly Brown is being refurbished and when it's back on the river the Mark Twain may be back to an extensive refurbishment in turn, so don't hold your breath to see both riverboats out for the moment.

Festival Disney

I've found quite an interesting picture... Both riverboats and a Canoe running! :lol:
Anyone know if that box in the bottom right hand corner still in the river?  :idea:

I wish they'd clean out the water so it could be that colour again :!:   :roll:
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

smurfy74

the water needs to be cleaned its rather green at the moment

king_spoon_ian

Quote from: "smurfy74"the water needs to be cleaned its rather green at the moment

How would they actually go about cleaning the water, though? The lake's absolutely full of catfish, so I'd imagining draining it could cause a problem.

smurfy74

im sure if most was drained leaving just enough for the fishes then they would be fine :-)