Walt Disney or Walt Disney's

Started by dagobert, October 13, 2009, 12:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

Last week I've bought the new Snow White DVD. I've never thought about it, but when I looked closely at the title, I realized that something was missing.

On my old Disney VHS tapes the title was written this way:
Walt Disney's Meisterwerk XXXX  =  Walt Disney's Masterpiece XXXX. So you knew that Walt Disney worked on this movie.

But now on the new DVD it's just "Walt Disney Snow White". So I lookes at the other DVDs and it is the same.

So I wanted to know if this happened to the American, British, French, etc, versions too?

What also annoys me are the new movie posters. A few years ago the title was always this way: "Walt Disney Pictures presents XXXX", but now it's just "Disney XXXX". I also think that they have changed the Disney logo a little bit. The font appears to be a little bit different.

Anthony

Quote from: "dagobert"I also think that they have changed the Disney logo a little bit. The font appears to be a little bit different.
I noticed that too, since around about when Disneynature appeared:

The "D" is wider to one side and most of the letters are sharper. As a whole, it somehow looks slightly thinned down and more "organic", but I'm not sure I prefer it.

And here (UK) it'll just be "Walt Disney - Snow White.."

dagobert

Today I bought "Dumbo" on DVD, because it was released as a special edition for the 70th birthday.

So this movie was made under Walt Disney and until last year it was common that movies made with Walt were labeled "Walt Disney's Dumbo or whatever. At least here in Germany and Austria
Then last fall when Snow White was released it was just Walt Disney Snow White and now on the new Dumbo DVD it just says Disney. No Walt anymore. Is it the same in other countries?

Does Disney want to get rid of Walt? On every new movie poster it says just Disney. What happened to "Walt Disney Pictures presents"? It really annoys me. Isn't TWDC not proud anymore of Walt.

At least the movies made with him should be labeled with Walt Disney's.

luke85

In the UK up to a certain point all DVD releases were labelled as such:

Walt Disney's Classic = movies made with Walt
Walt Disney Classics = movies made after Walt's death

I think that ended with the 2008 re-release of Sleeping Beauty. Now the movies are released with only "Walt Disney" above the title whether Walt was involved or not. I would really hate for the company to start to label new releases with just "Disney", it sounds much more cold and corporate. Obviously Disney is a massive company, but by labelling movies with Walt's full name, we are reminded that the company did indeed start with one man (2 men really, but "Walt and Roy Disney Pictures" is a bit of a mouthful!)

I did notice on the Alice in Wonderland posters that only "Disney" was being used, I really hope this isn't a trend we will see more of in the future...

never2old

I saw a trailer for I think The Prince of Persia, and there too they only used "Disney".  I didn't like it either...

pussinboots

I noticed it too when I went to see Alice in Wonderland. I really don't know why they choose to do these things. It doesn't save them any money and it certainly isn't going to improve the brand. "Walt Disney Pictures presents: The Lion King." That sounds nice and Hollywoodish. "DISNEY — LION KING" seems a little rude.

Javey74

Quote from: "luke85"In the UK up to a certain point all DVD releases were labelled as such:

Walt Disney's Classic = movies made with Walt
Walt Disney Classics = movies made after Walt's death
I don't really see it as a great problem, looking at luke's simple comparison, Walt Disney's Classic seems more current, obviously written in the pretext of now and being alive. Walt Disney Classics is written post text, afterwards, after death. Makes sense to me..  :)

At the end of the day, these DVD's are being sold to a wider audience, not just Disney fanatics like us, who know every detail, shape, blemish, names etc, Disney is the trade logo on most merchandise, the name that everyone recognises, more familiar than adding 'Walt', I don't think it's disrespectful to Walt, but more a wider marketing ploy. Disney catches the eye no matter what. After all Disney is the brand name plain and simple, and if everyone was like us they'd know about Walt being the founder anyway..  :wink:  :)

Again this day and age, logo's like to be singular and in your face, it's often the case that less is more in the world of marketing, and to me that is what this is..  :)

dagobert

Maybe you are right Javey, but I still think that it is important to know that the Disney Company or Walt Disney Pictures was founded by WALT DISNEY and the entire company is still called The WALT Disney Company. So I don't get it why they want to get rid of the word WALT.

It's really sad the the Disney family doesn't have any influence on the company anymore since Roy E. Disney died. I'm sure he wouldn't like the drop of WALT on the movie posters or DVD covers.

For example "Dumbo" was produced under Walt's tenure and so I really don't understand why they dropped his name on the cover. Future generations should know that there was a person called Walt Disney and not only a Disney Company.

Javey74

Quote from: "dagobert"Maybe you are right Javey, but I still think that it is important to know that the Disney Company or Walt Disney Pictures was founded by WALT DISNEY and the entire company is still called The WALT Disney Company. So I don't get it why they want to get rid of the word WALT.

It's really sad the the Disney family doesn't have any influence on the company anymore since Roy E. Disney died. I'm sure he wouldn't like the drop of WALT on the movie posters or DVD covers.

For example "Dumbo" was produced under Walt's tenure and so I really don't understand why they dropped his name on the cover. Future generations should know that there was a person called Walt Disney and not only a Disney Company.
I can understand where you are coming from aswell dagobert, it's a real shame that things like this do happen. Looking at the family tree there is only Diane Disney left, other than the children both Sharon and Diane had, but I agree that things seemed to have moved away from the man himself once Roy died, I dare say even a good while before that..  :(

I'm comforted to a point that myself and my family know just what a genius Walt was and will pass this infomation on to my daughters future offspring and so on. To me Walt will never really die, just as long as people are out there talking about him and the empire he created..  :|