Crush's Coaster

Started by Anthony, July 18, 2006, 07:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Crush's Coaster
NOW OPEN!

Opened 9th June 2007.

« Older news and discussion for this attraction can be found in the Toon Studio topic.
With enough discussion points to fill the entire great barrier reef, we started a new topic just for this attraction...

Crush's Coaster is a Maurer Söhne SC 2000 spinning roller coaster, with a large indoor coaster section preceded by a custom station, an outside curve/dip and some indoor dark-ride scenes.

Guests ride in rows of 2 back-to-back, with 4 guests per vehicle.  The coaster trains are customised as turtle shells.  The dark-ride scenes will make use of a brand new video projection technology developed by Walt Disney Imagineering that is set to also be used in Finding Nemo-themed attractions at Disneyland and Epcot.

Frequently asked questions
Q. What's the minimum height requirement?
A. The minimum hight requirement is 1.07m

Q. Is it possible to buy an on-ride photo?
A. No, there are no on-ride photo cameras present.

Q. Is Fast Pass available at Crush's Coaster?
A. Yes! Fastpass is currently testing during Summer 2008 with a VERY limited number of tickets per day. We don't know yet if it will be a permanent feature.

Q. How scary is it?
A. The experience of the coaster part differs from person to person.  Some compare it to the fun of Big Thunder Mountain combined with the darkness of Space Mountain.

Q. Does it spin?
A. Yes, the vehicle will spin right after the lifthill (the submarine).  The spinning will depend on the weight that's in the vehicle.

Links
» WDS Fans Attraction Guide (incl. full ride-through and facts)
» Crush's Coaster photos at Photos Magiques

This is gonna turtally rock, dude!

Anthony

Construction photos from Sunday, by Kyoto on Disney Magic Interactive:

Too big to post...

The outside track is still on its own, hasn't been joined up to the loading track.  If you look in the first photo, you can see there definitely is a dip involved with the outside section.  There's still lots of scaffolding inside the coaster building but no sign of themeing or anything yet.  <!-- s:) --> :) <!-- s:) -->

Kristof

Here's the link to the construction photos at Photos Magiques:

http://www.photosmagiques.com/gallery/toon_construction

Anthony

Didn't notice you had them online!  This one's interesting:

You can see the swerve and dip, and also the top of a lift hill lying around - that must be to go just inside the building there, after the loading area.

And I should say - I really like how the added a small porch area onto the building, it'll make it much nicer than just entering straight into the main showbuilding like with the other WDS attractions:

Maarten

I haven't had the chance to share my view on the new logos of both Cars: Race Rally and Crush's Coaster. The Cars one looks really neat, but thats a little bit off-topic here. The Crush's Coaster logo seems cheap to me. It's the only attraction logo besides the Wishes logo I really dislike. The colors seem cheap and the new name still sounds like rubbish in my humble opinion. Please Disney, get the Turtle Twister-name back... it's still possible.

They are changing the name Toon Studios into Toon Studio so it fits better with the Walt Disney Studios concept, but the name Crush's Coaster undermines the theme of the whole park. Crush is supposed to take you into the sets and eventually into the movie. Rock 'n RollerCoaster (which also has the Coaster part in its name) just is a coaster. As far as I can see it's supposed to be a coaster, nothing more nothing less. Crush's Coaster insteed isn't supposed to be a coaster according to the story, I assume.

Anthony

Quote from: "Maarten"Rock 'n RollerCoaster (which also has the Coaster part in its name) just is a coaster. As far as I can see it's supposed to be a coaster, nothing more nothing less. Crush's Coaster insteed isn't supposed to be a coaster according to the story, I assume.
Spot on.  You're meant to be riding the EAC, not a set of steel rails.  You've also made me realise the park will now have two attractions with "coaster" in their names.  That's tacky.  I think I'm starting to dislike the name again.

I think the logo is nice though - it looks better in different colours, or as just an outline silhouette, and it'd look good on merchandise and so on.  I did originally expect something a bit more like the Turtle Talk with Crush logo though...

Maarten

Quote from: "Baloo"You've also made me realise the park will now have two attractions with "coaster" in their names.  That's tacky.  I think I'm starting to dislike the name again.

Sorry, I don't wanted to have a negative attitude. Hopefully you will see everything from a sunny, positive, Baloo-kind of way again soon, haha.  :)

But two attractions with both the "Coaster"-name in it really is tacky indeed. And the worst part is, both the attraction aren't tacky. They seem like two great Disney attractions. Why do they give Crush this awful name while they had one that fitted really well; Crush's Turtle Twister.

Kristof

QuoteWhy do they give Crush this awful name while they had one that fitted really well; Crush's Turtle Twister.

Remember that this is THE time for DLRP to get their acts together and get the people inside both parks.  So it sounds logical to me that they would choose a name that's easy to market.   :-k

I think by the way that the creative team in Glendale did a great job! ( :wink: )  I don't care too much about the use of "coaster", since "mountain" is also used more then once in a few disney parks.  And to be honest, the name of the ride isn't that important to me, I'm focussing on the Animation Courtyard placemaking project, which looks very promosing!  :D

Maarten

Quote from: "raptor1982"
QuoteWhy do they give Crush this awful name while they had one that fitted really well; Crush's Turtle Twister.

Remember that this is THE time for DLRP to get their acts together and get the people inside both parks.  So it sounds logical to me that they would choose a name that's easy to market.   :-k

Indeed. I really do understand why they choose this name, and in their place I would probably do the same thing. But I still think it's a tacky name, no business point of view will change that.

Anthony

Some news picked up from La Rouquine on Disney Central Plaza:

- The exterior track for Crush is in place!  It curves into the "basin" formed by the rocks.

- The metal structure which will support these rocks has arrived.  Even the materials to create the rocky texture are there...

- The ride should almost certainly open in June along with Cars.

Anthony

Here's a Maurer Soehne video someone posted on DMI forum:

http://www.maurer-soehne.de/de/Amusemen ... dt_dsl.wmv

It's the same coaster as ours, just outside and with no special effects.  Looks very cool, don't you think?  It goes FAST! :o If they can solve the potential capacity problems of only 4 people per car, I think this ride is going to be a BIG hit. :D

Nala_84

Hehe, it's German :P ;)

Oh my God--37 mph?? That sounds really fast, and I'm so scared of fast coasters... I thought this would be also for smaller children :(
[size=85]1992 - Disneyland Paris - 1-day-trip
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe
2004 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Cheyenne
2005 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Santa Fe
2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Newport BayClub
2008 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Sequoia Lodge
2009 - Walt Disney World
[/size]

Anthony

Quote from: "Nala_84"Oh my God--37 mph?? That sounds really fast, and I'm so scared of fast coasters... I thought this would be also for smaller children :(
That's half the speed of RNRC, it's not that fast at all for a roller coaster.  It should be fine for younger kids and definitely won't be "scary", anyone who's been on one of these coasters will tell you they're just plain fun.  You don't get thrown about like RNRC, you just spin gently through swooping drops and twists.  It'll be fun! :D

As far as I know, the height restriction will be 1.04m and it will definitely be classed as a "family attraction".  It'll probably go in the same category as POTC and Star Tours...  Or maybe BTM...

Fantillusion

Indeed, it should be classed as a dark ride so probably more POTC because POTC also has some thrilling bits (the small drops)
-Craig

fly_with_me_dumbo

if BTM is kinda your limit, would you say this one will be alright to go on? :pluto: