Eurostar — questions and travel updates

Started by Anthony, June 10, 2006, 07:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeakat24

Poor people, I was in Disney when the London bombings happened. Thankfully the service was back to normal when we left the next day, apart from the security checks, but they were understandable. I don't know what happened to the people due to travel back that day as all Eurostar services were cancelled and I know most travel insurance policies don't cover acts of terrorism.
The security in France was terrific, they had staff and police checking your passport. Another staff member and another police officer checking your tickets. We had our bags x-rayed and sniffed by a dog and we were frisked. Then we were led down in groups of about 10 to the platform. In total the train was delayed by almost two hours, but no one minded, obviously.
After all this can you believe that we had not one check of any kind when we got into London! I know they trust the French staff to do their job, but a day after the attacks, really?  :evil:
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

davewasbaloo

Just got in, walking through St Pancras was interesting. It was heaving with people trying to get to France and Belgium and the platforms were empty - eerie stuff.
since 2001 (many before that)

simbrawr

im off to dlrp this sunday so im hoping this doesnt carry on until then...otherwise ill be deep in le merde'

Nicholas-c

If travel insurence paid for a hotel i would book myself right into the president suite :P

glad its off season, imagine if this was july/august, hotels/train station would be chaos!

BBC ticker just said "ALL traffic is closed in tunnel and 70 fire fighters have been taken from kent and sent down the tunnel"

QuoteBut funnily enough, there's something else in the news about Air France looking at rivalling Eurostar with a new train service when they (finally!) lose the monopoly on the tunnel in 2010. That could be good for DLRP, since they already have an agreement on providing flights...
I want virgin to do it so i can go from train station 10 mins away straight to DLRP :P
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

littlemermaid83

Fingers crossed the tunnel is open when i go in 11 days....

I'm preparing to swim across the channel lol.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

simbrawr

in all fairness if its not running by saturday ill b suprised...and worried lol! they r hoping to have it rolling again tomoz evening

jeakat24

This is from the BBC:

"Meanwhile, passengers waiting to board trains at London's St Pancras International terminal were told to come back on Friday morning when they will be boarded onto trains on a first-come first-served basis. Long queues formed as passengers tried to get information."

Mmmmm, first come first serve, I think that might cause a little bit of chaos!
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

Nicholas-c

Quote from: "jeakat24"This is from the BBC:

"Meanwhile, passengers waiting to board trains at London's St Pancras International terminal were told to come back on Friday morning when they will be boarded onto trains on a first-come first-served basis. Long queues formed as passengers tried to get information."

BBC news says that the fire is still going and wont be open until at LEAST midday (predict about 19:00)
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

littlemermaid83

On the Eurostar website it says that they will not be running trains tomorrow.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

jeakat24

Quote from: "Nicholas-c"
Quote from: "jeakat24"This is from the BBC:

BBC news says that the fire is still going and wont be open until at LEAST midday (predict about 19:00)

Sorry, was looking at the report, not the news ticker  :oops: Should know better really, training to be a journalist  :oops:
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

Anthony

I guess they could open the tunnel not affected by the fire... perhaps... but that'd be a bit chaotic.  If they really can reopen the whole tunnel this weekend after a big fire it shows just how amazingly it was designed and built.

Quote from: "Nicholas-c"I want virgin to do it so i can go from train station 10 mins away straight to DLRP :P
Yes!! Though that would be incredible but impossible I think, since the "continental loading gauge" that the tunnel, new High Speed 1 line and all TGVs use is different to the UK. [/geek] We'll have to wait till they build a High Speed 2... (When DLRP is celebrating its 150th Anniversary, probably...)

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Anthony"Yes!! Though that would be incredible but impossible I think, since the "continental loading gauge" that the tunnel, new High Speed 1 line and all TGVs use is different to the UK. [/geek] We'll have to wait till they build a High Speed 2... (When DLRP is celebrating its 150th Anniversary, probably...)

I cannot say much as it is not in the public domain, but if current thinking continues, then it will be ready by DLP's 30th.
since 2001 (many before that)

simbrawr

this whole channel tunnel affair has me extremely worried for my trip come sunday...if the system IS up and running by then on 50% efficency then i cant guarantee which train i could get on lol

Frederico

OMG I really do hope the services resume for all the families travelling in the next few days. Good luck
Talkin \'bout the midnight rambler

GeoffD

at least it wasn't worse if you ask me, this is a fantastic utility and it'd be a shame to see a worse fire.

It should be open soon, i hope.

Also High Speed 2 is in planning i hear  :wink: