Eurostar — questions and travel updates

Started by Anthony, June 10, 2006, 07:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siobhan82

Thinking of going by Eurostar next May anyone every traveled from scotland to do this just wondering about parking and hotel facilities near the station

Any advice would be appreciated

daddyof2

Siobhan - I've not done Scotland-Paris but have done Scotland-London and London-Paris by train separately. Not sure where in Scotland you're travelling from or which station you mean, so bear with me. There are regular, frequent trains form Glasgow and Edinburgh to London Euston and Kings Cross (respectively) and other places like Aberdeen have less frequent direct trains. There are plenty of hotels near Euston and Kings Cross, which are both also near St Pancras for the Eurostar - but London hotels aren't that cheap. If you're driving to London, you're possibly mad (no offence) but you can park under Euston station cheaply if you book ahead. If you're looking for parking/hotels near a station in Scotland, I'm probably not the best person to assist...

Not sure that answered your question, but its the answer to the question I think you're asking

stecal

If you book travelodge as soon as you can which is i think is 11 months in advance you can get the kings cross royal scot which is a short  walk to the station for about £40 a night for a family room, avoid the other kings cross travelodge if you can as it is closer to the station and all i heard all night was trains coming and going,i have stayed in both and never paid more than £45 on about 5 occasions by booking in advance hth

RockNRoller

Just been told by my travel agent that the Eurostar no longer runs direct trains all week long. Allegedly the direct train, St Pancreas to Marne Le Valley, runs Friday to Monday to cater for long weekends all year round but only runs Tuesday to Thursday during school holiday periods. Outside of school holidays you have to make a change at Lille if you travel Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.

Sadly we go Monday to Thursday and as we don't want to change at Lille we have been forced to stay an extra day to get the direct train back on Friday. We are all devastated  ;)
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

stifle

Sounds a bit fishy. I would suggest checking directly with Eurostar rather than via travel agencies.

daddyof2

Quote from: stifle on May 28, 2015, 06:50:11 PM
Sounds a bit fishy. I would suggest checking directly with Eurostar rather than via travel agencies.

No, I think that's been the norm for some time now. They've certainly not run 7 days a week for a couple of years

Captain Pan

Quote from: daddyof2 on May 28, 2015, 07:45:25 PM
Quote from: stifle on May 28, 2015, 06:50:11 PM

No, I think that's been the norm for some time now. They've certainly not run 7 days a week for a couple of years

Literally booked our trip at the travel agents within the last 60 minutes (July 10-15 2016 Sun-Fri)... They phoned DLP directly themselves to get transport as we're a bit early... Originally planning to go Sunday to Thursday but due to the indirect service (Going with a 2 year old- and didn't fancy the changes) have extended for the Friday (Extra day of magic as a result).

ehsmum

Quote from: sewpollyesther on January 30, 2015, 12:07:18 PM
Just called the Eurostar Ticket number to find out when the tickets will be released for the (school) Christmas holidays.

Apparently they don't know. The tickets up to the 11th December were released on the 11th Jan, the last batch before that were released on the 22nd of December (so 3 weeks apart). The last batch before that were released on the 7th of August, so almost 6 months earlier.

She said it's totally random but they do let them know a few days before. If anyone's looking for the same dates...

She said there will be some tickets at the lowest price just depends on availability. There is no premium for travelling in the Christmas Holidays. So I will keep on checking.

I'll call again next week and see but I guess it might be a while. I called 03448224777.

If anyone finds out I'd love to know.

Hi all, I'm travelling to Europe from Australia with my family in December/January and the plan is to spend Christmas at Disneyland. I've been trying to book Eurostar online for months and couldn't get anything to show up for our arrival date (23Dec). I read on tripadvisor that Eurostar only release tickets 6 months in advance, so I waited for the 6 month window and have been trying for the last two days without luck. Reading this thread - have I missed out? Looks like others were booking for Christmas back in January? It's really hard to get any info here, even the travel agents I've talked too are clueless when it comes to Eurostar. Any advice?

stifle

The six month thing is only for journeys that are made entirely on Eurostar. It is four months if you need to change to/from an SNCF service. There may not be a direct Eurostar service on the day you want to travel, so you would need to change at Lille-Europe.

ehsmum

Thanks for the response, Stifle  :). I had emailed Eurostar yesterday as I was so confused and got a reply last night that the timetable for our dates won't be released until 16th July. So that's a relief to know that it's not sold out already. Hopefully I'll be able to get a booking when they release the dates. Thanks again.

grovesie

Quote from: ehsmum on June 26, 2015, 02:59:07 AM
Thanks for the response, Stifle  :). I had emailed Eurostar yesterday as I was so confused and got a reply last night that the timetable for our dates won't be released until 16th July. So that's a relief to know that it's not sold out already. Hopefully I'll be able to get a booking when they release the dates. Thanks again.

Would you be able to send me that timetable please, we have been in the same situation, checking Eurostar everyday numerous phone calls, We are going 18th to 24th December

Thanks

ehsmum

Quote from: grovesie on June 26, 2015, 08:21:57 AM
Quote from: ehsmum on June 26, 2015, 02:59:07 AM

Would you be able to send me that timetable please, we have been in the same situation, checking Eurostar everyday numerous phone calls, We are going 18th to 24th December

Thanks

I don't have anything yet.Just planning to check back on the Eurostar site on 16th July as I was told that's when they'll release the next lot of dates. This is the response I got from Eurostar customer care:
Thank you for your email.

The next timetable release for the direct disney service will be available to book from the 16 July 2015.  It is not on sale until that date.

I hope this answers your query.

Kind regards

Tracey

Sorry I can't be more help. Hopefully we'll both have luck booking on 16th July  :)

haribosmum

I've just received an email saying the dates will be on sale for Christmas and early 2016 from  21st July.  We're looking for Feb half term.  I was worried about the direct train as booked to travel back on the Thursday (like we've done previous years) and it does look like there will be a train for the 18th Feb so fingers crossed we can get it booked.  Disney direct wanted £800 for 2 adults, 1 child in standard premier.  When I went 2014 that was £575 so hopefully I can get it around that again.
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

haribosmum

Phoned through to book and it's only dates to 3rd Jan available, but they are there now.
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

grovesie

Christmas Eurostar tickets have been released today.... and very good prices too. Mine are all booked ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D