Eurostar — questions and travel updates

Started by Anthony, June 10, 2006, 07:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smudgepuss

Quote from: Laurence on January 14, 2014, 05:11:02 PM
However, we are going on a really tight budget and so every penny counts. Due to this, we probably won't have a huge amount of spare cash on the last day to pay for Express, which I believe is about 15 Euros per bag?

I did this in December and it was 11 Euros per room.  I thought it was really worth it (and that was just for my 'group' of me!) as it was so nice a) not to have to faff around with getting to the hotel and haul my bag around and b) stay in the Disney mood for longer.  If you've got kids/pushchairs I'd say go for it.

Paris: 1997, 2003, 2008, 2012 (Santa Fe), 2013, 2014 (Cheyenne)
Tokyo: 2009, 2015

smudgepuss

Quote from: Belloboy7 on January 02, 2014, 12:37:51 AM
Sorry if this has already been answered but any idea what standard premier is like on the eurostar journey to disney in the morning?

Having done both standard and standard premier before, there would have to be a fairly substantial price difference for me to go standard again.

SP was only a quarter full, so it was less manic, and quieter.  The train in general was really busy, but as most families don't shell out for SP, it'll never be as busy as standard.  This also means that there's actually room to put your suitcase too.  (Let's face it, Eurostar didn't design their trains to cope with every other group having a buggy!)

The food is nice (better on the return journey than the morning though), of a quality I'd expect on a next-level-up-from-economy flight.  Endless coffee.  Bigger table for games/knitting/papers etc.

This is travelling as a lone adult and small group of adults.  It's probably not always worth it if you've got younger kids (the adult price difference when I booked was only £20 return so I went for it), but it makes a good grown-up treat for an older kids (or indeed grownups!).

Paris: 1997, 2003, 2008, 2012 (Santa Fe), 2013, 2014 (Cheyenne)
Tokyo: 2009, 2015

SGregory27

Can anyone tell me what food is served in standard premier on the outward journey from Ashford to Disney, as Eurostar website say breakfast until 11am and our train is 10.58am and our kids will eat until the cows come home. so I wantt to know if I should have a few extra snacks ready. (we have only gone by standard class before).

2016-Cheyenne
2015-Sequoia Lodge Honeymoon Suite
2015-Sequoia Lodge GF Lakeside
2014-Sequoia Lodge- Hubby's big 30
2013- Newport Bay- 1st time with kids 4y &1y
2008-Sequoia Lodge
2005-Sequoia Lodge - Got engaged
2004-Sequoia Lodge
1999-SL

haribosmum

I'm interested in what is served on the out journey too.  I'm going Feb half term so will report back if that's before you visit?  the price difference was only £20 return each to go standard premier and as there are 3 adults, a 6yr old and a 2 yr old sharing 4 seats I thought we'd appreciate the extra room too.
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

SGregory27

Quote from: haribosmum on January 29, 2014, 04:02:53 PM
I'm interested in what is served on the out journey too.  I'm going Feb half term so will report back if that's before you visit?  the price difference was only £20 return each to go standard premier and as there are 3 adults, a 6yr old and a 2 yr old sharing 4 seats I thought we'd appreciate the extra room too.

Thanks. We had a good deal on the upgrade each way too and thought it would be great as it's me, Hubby 5y & 2y girls and both grandmothers, plus trip is an early 30th birthday present for hubby. We upgraded on the return journey on past trip and the meal was great.

Hope you have a great time and good weather :)

2016-Cheyenne
2008-Sequoia Lodge
2004-Sequoia Lodge
1999-SL

mickeys ears

Quote from: haribosmum on January 29, 2014, 04:02:53 PM
We went standard premier last June and so glad we did!!! Breakfast was a crossiant, bread roll, butter, jam, yeo valley yoghurt,  orange juice and tea/coffee or hot chocolate( we had to ask for that) they come round with extra pastries too!! Seats reclined and plenty of room with a table. Alot nicer than standard!! Here is a pic xx

haribosmum

That's good to read, we'll be able to have a munch on the train then.  would be good if they do come round with some extras as our 2yr old hasn't got a official seat (being under 4) so I'm guessing won't have a breakfast.  maybe if we smile and ask nicely they may be able to sort one out for her!
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

mickeys ears

Quote from: haribosmum on January 30, 2014, 10:22:27 AM
That's good to read, we'll be able to have a munch on the train then.  would be good if they do come round with some extras as our 2yr old hasn't got a official seat (being under 4) so I'm guessing won't have a breakfast.  maybe if we smile and ask nicely they may be able to sort one out for her!
A family next to us didnt have official seats for their children but there were empty seats next to them and when they came around with the food, the eurostar staff asked if the children wanted breakfast, no questions asked, they probably have a few spare meals just in case :-) :-) xx

Samninetysix

We're going next Wednesday (5th) for our 51st trip to DLP but it's our first time via Eurostar, we've always driven so it's all new to us. Am I correct in saying that the standard premium option is offered at check in?

haribosmum

it hasn't been for us before, might be if you were to ask.  there isn't an official check in (well not at ebbsfleet anyway) it's just put your ticket through a barrier like a normal train station.  there is a Eurostar desk once you go through, again may be able to ask if space to upgrade.  have you looked on the website to see if there would still be availability in standard premier if you were to book now?  I know my train is fully booked (or only has single seats left anyway) but it's at half term.
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

Samninetysix

We've booked on the Disney Express one at 10:15 from St Pancras which goes direct to DLP. From what I can see there is a departure lounge of sorts. I checked on the website with my booking reference but can't see an option to upgrade but hey ho! it's no biggie just buzzin to be going on it :)

haribosmum

have a check online before you leave and see if you were to make a new booking you could book premier for your group and then when you get there you'd know if there's any space or not.  you may find you can't because of how many meals that put on the train (as premier includes it) but as always - worth an ask.

I love that this will be your 51st trip!
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

captain rocket

Samninetysix, Save your money, its not worth the extra! Spend the money on something nice when you arrive!

SGregory27

The last time we did premier standard was as a couple on the return journey which was £70 each. we only did so we didn't have to worry about food before we left or when we got back to Ashford. 

This time we booked both ways as Hubby's 30th b-day and it was on offer £20 per person each way. Plus with a 2yr old on the lap it will be nice to have a little extra room.

2016-Cheyenne
2008-Sequoia Lodge
2004-Sequoia Lodge
1999-SL

polar vixen

How crazy is it when boarding the train?  i'm thinking of going eurostar next year, but it will just be me, my 15 year old daughter, and 4 children under the age of 10, 3 of them being under 6, and having a pushchair etc. Am I going to struggle?  (I've been at busy stations a couple of times and nearly got knocked off teh platform!