Big Thunder Mountain refurbishment

Started by Anthony, July 05, 2006, 07:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fly_with_me_dumbo

i think it loooks great, they've done a fantastic job!

Fluffy

I was at the park on Saturday and Sunday and in my opinion the re-opening was a bit messy.

On Saturday we got to the park at half 8 and waited outside Frontierland. At 9 they let us in and there was a big rush towards Thunder Mountain but we were greeted by 2 security staff telling us to go back with no explanation of why. As we walked out of the Frontierland entrance they were letting people in again so once again there was a rush to Thunder Mountain only to find out that it was closed.

We went on Phantom Manor and by the time we had come out Thunder Mountain was open so we got in the queue, waited about 45 minutes, got near to the stairs down to the platform and a staff member opened a gate and told us to leave the queue line, again with no explanation of why (I'm guessing it broke down) but we were given fast pass tickets. It must have re opened again sometime in the late afternoon and seemed to run ok all day on Sunday but had queues of up to 140 minutes.

DisneyBud

It looks so much better now. Cleaner, fresher just a much better environment in general.  Out of interesst, how often do they refurbish big rides like this? Is it once a year or less often? Or are they all closed at some point in the year for a short while, but this was just a big big refurb? hope someone can help...

Anthony

Most attractions are closed for a few days at least, but big two-month refurbishments like this don't happen very often.  Last one I can remember was Space Mountain back in 2004.  The main reason these refurbishments were long was because they left it so long to do them in the first place.  I suppose they don't want to shut their two main attractions, but the longer they leave it the longer the refurbishment at the end.

Things like POTC and Phantom Manor are much more cared for (because the guests won't complain quite so much if they're closed), and so only need about 2 weeks each year.

This BTM closure was a very very rare event, hence all the fuss.  The results are amazing though, hopefully it'll never get that dirty again.

Matts

Quote from: "DisneyBud"Out of interesst, how often do they refurbish big rides like this? Is it once a year or less often? Or are they all closed at some point in the year for a short while, but this was just a big big refurb? hope someone can help...

I don`t really know how often they refurb such big rides... for BTM it was a first refurb ever... Space Mountain also had one refurb... when it was transformed into Mission 2... but still they have to keep everything working all the time so small works are done every day...

Other rides often have rahter small refurbs... seasonal rather for example after summer season and before halloween and christmas...

Am I right? :->
Matts

Matts

BTW don`t you think that BTM runs now slower than before? When it goes down the tunnel to enter the mountain, in my opinion, it used to go much more higher on the first lift... don`t you think so too?

Oh and before the drop where the photo is taken... was this break before there? or is it new?
Matts

Dlrpfan

Quote from: "Matts"BTW don`t you think that BTM runs now slower than before? When it goes down the tunnel to enter the mountain, in my opinion, it used to go much more higher on the first lift... don`t you think so too?
yea i think it was faster at on point but still it is much better then wdw's
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

suzie

omg just looking at the pics makes me wanne take a ride right now!
"Cause I found some kind of fairy...tale"