Framing pins

Started by disney-dan, January 11, 2010, 12:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

disney-dan

Hey guys, those of you who have framed some of your keepers how have you done it? Have you put them in normal frames? Glass in or out? I would really like to frame some of my LE sets as there is no way I would trade them and was thinking some sort of shadow box would be cool. I even thought I could try and make my own frames so they would be the perfect size for each set, or I could put 2/3/4 sets in each frame with mounts dividing them.

Anyways, let me know how you frame yours so maybe I can get some inspiration :lol:

Cheers
DD
Have a Magical day!!

DD

Stitch2814

Im hoping to do some framing when I get all the UP DSF pins but I know thats a long way off yet so any advice given then please do :)

Ive seen a few people on facebook that they use frames that have a bit of depth to them so the glass isnt on top of the pins aswell as some people put the pins around an image to with the set.

disney-dan

well i was thinking something along the lines of a deep frame with decent amount of space between the glass and backing. print some sort of backing paper that is relevant to the pins and mount them on that with a nice mount round it in an appropriate colour. an example would be the One Haunt Wanted: Job Fair 9-9-9 set that I am in the process of completing. I was a thinking of framing it with a feint wanted section from a news paper in the background and a dark purple mount in a black frame. would look cool I think. I am also working on the mystery hidden mickey pins set that is tombstones from haunted mansion. though not LE I really like them and think they would make a cool framed set with a black and white picture of haunted mansion as the background with the pins along the bottom as if in the ground of the mansion itself. Again that could have the purple mount and black frame.
Have a Magical day!!

DD

Eager_Eyes

Here is one that I prepared earlier

I bought the frame from Ikea, it cost about £5 if I remember right, the glass is v.set back from the frame itself I specifically looked 4 ones like that, got the image from the net printed it then cut a bit of cardboard to the shape of the frame folded the image round the cardboard then stuck the pins through, it works quite well.  I've done something similar with my Hard Rock Cafe pins but backed on black velvet which I bought in a fabric off cuts shop got a yardish for about £4 so will be making othe projects in terms of framing with the rest when I get the the time :D

disney-dan

thanks Eager_Eyes, are the pins touching the glass?
Have a Magical day!!

DD

Eager_Eyes

No they're not touching the glass they're set back a little a few centimetres between them and the glass itself.

disney-dan

thats exactly what im after. from ikea?
Have a Magical day!!

DD

Eager_Eyes

Yes from Ikea, and relatively cheap.  I went for the black but they had other colours as well.  They also had other sizes.  I think the bigger ones were only about £7/8 if I remember right it was a while ago though so the prices may have gone up slightly since I went.

Belle's World

I really love the framed pictures people are doing on here with pins. I just don't have the space unfortunately but if we ever move then i will definately be doing it as the results are gorgeous.
Ro

Eager_Eyes

You don't need a big amount of space really that frame is only small that is why i've only got 3 pins in it.  Even if you only have a little bit of space give it a go.  Its fun and the results could really suprise you! Ok I'm biased because I've made it but I'd say that little Pirates frame I've done is as good as any you could buy from Disney with the 100 Euro plus price tag.

Welsheeyore

hiya

I have framed a few of my pins

these ones are just some old frames and as the one has no glass i used it for my pin on pin ones - the background i used a picture from t'internet which i printed as a watermark

then the rest I use black frames from Argos which are £4.99 for 3

those are on pictures i just found and printed out - and have actually changed the pins in the Tink one now lol

those are around postcards which i got off ebay

I push the pins through the backing but beware - you can bend them occasionally if they are keepers it isnt really the worst thing that happened ever - and also be careful because when those pins go through and your finger is in the way it really really blo*dy hurts!!!  :mrgreen:

xx

planned trips - Summer 2011 - DLP
                   October 2013 - WDW

Stitch2814

I will look into framing pins when I eventually get my own place in Ireland (will be ages off I know) and I will only be framing complet sets of pins I have like I would frame the DSF Up pins, the CM nametag pins as well as the Cast Lanyard Lilo and stitch series I have coming.

They wouldnt be overly big frames so wouldnt take up much room but would still look nice how I plan to do them.