Earl of Sandwich in Disney Village (Now Open!)

Started by MagicKenny, December 11, 2009, 08:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JelleP

Some pictures of the stone-laying ceremony from DLP's Facobook page :D

Just a quick question: who's that scary guy on the first photo (on the left of Mickey)? He looks very important...
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

SM:M3

^The actual Earl of Sandwich!

Reiana

He look kind of sick to me. Maybe he should eat more often in the restaurants with his name on, instead giving it to the mouse :?

CafeFantasia

Yep, that guy is John Montagu, the 11th Earl of Sandwich. He's 67, so cut him some slack in the looks department. He's not a male model, he's an entrepreneur, politician and nobleman. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Monta ... f_Sandwich

Anthony

How great to see something coming to Disney Village that fills a real need, looks great, has classy branding, isn't (we hope) that overpriced and seems genuinely excited itself about opening here.

They even found a use for the wheelbarrow and spades of the Snow White show!

Am I right in saying this is the first completely new food/drink building in Disney Village since McDonalds in 1999? We've only had refits since then - Rainforest Cafe, Café Mickey, King Ludwig's, Starbucks.

Anthony

Amongst all the excitement over the costumed guy, I don't think this was posted - first concept art for the interior:

From http://www.disneygazette.fr/ceremonie-p ... s-399.html

EmilieK

Oh! That looks nice, spacius and bright with a sort of modern clasical twist. If that makes any sense.

-breeno-

Looks good!  Nice modern feel which I don't think appears much in the Village (can't think of anything there with such a modern look, help me out here if I'm wrong..)

Also, anyone notice the date at the bottom right of the art?  05/06/09?  Does that mean this was designed in 2009 or is just some sort of letterhead for EoS?

EDIT: Oh great I've done it again.  Just checked this topic was made in 09, so it's makes sense that the concept could have been made a year ago, I really should do research before I open my mouth  #-o
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Anthony

Quote from: "EmilieK"Oh! That looks nice, spacius and bright with a sort of modern clasical twist. If that makes any sense.
Quote from: "-breeno-"Looks good!  Nice modern feel which I don't think appears much in the Village (can't think of anything there with such a modern look, help me out here if I'm wrong..)
Yeah it's nice - not fully-themed Britishness but not complete modern blandness either. Starbucks has a similar modern feel, but aside from the cool recycled features it's a bit dull inside.

I said on Twitter, this is like if IKEA had designed the Harry Potter sets. (I'm here all week, try the fish)

EmilieK

Quote from: "Anthony"I said on Twitter, this is like if IKEA had designed the Harry Potter sets. (I'm here all week, try the fish)

Hehe, I know what you mean. The clean lines sort of gave me a flash of IKEA warehouse. But I supose it could be worse, it could have given me a flash of McDonalds or school cafeteria. And I love the book case, although it's probably to much to hope for real books.

Martyn

QuoteLooks good! Nice modern feel which I don't think appears much in the Village (can't think of anything there with such a modern look, help me out here if I'm wrong..)

McDonalds and Starbucks have a relatively modern interior. It seems its just the 'everyday' high street names that have the modern style.

This looks nice an all, but I stand by my word that every 'high street' name that comes to the Village, should be given a Disney twist. A bit like how Starbucks had that Disney mural at the back (but even that didn't last long...)

jwagner

Here are some pics i took at my last visit:

Rainforest Café facade coming down

disneylandparisgirl

Is it likely there will be construction noise when your eating in Rainforest Cafe?
August 1997 offsite
August 1998 Cheyenne
May 1999 Disneyland hotel
July 2004 Cheyenne
August 2007 offsite
August 2010 Santa Fe
August 2011 Santa Fe
September 2015 Sequoia Lodge

jwagner

when i was there i heard nothing  :?

MattyD24

i've been able to look at alot of these threads, before joining up on the forums, and i've got to be honest...

Earl of Sandwich looks to be a good addition to Disney Village, along with World Of Disney  :)

and i think EOS should do a good jop at hiding the hideous part of the Exterior of The Rainforest Cafe, hopefully when i next get to DLP, i'll be able to grab a bite to eat in EOS.

Disneyland Paris
Disney\'s Hotel Santa Fe 1996, 1999, 2005
Davy Crockett Ranch 2011?

Walt Disney World Resort Florida
Off-Site 2002, 2008