Disney's A Christmas Carol (2009)

Started by Anthony, May 15, 2009, 10:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peep

Yay, Boris for the win. I think he's great, we need a bit of fun in politics.

I was reading about the event in the free newspaper in London last night. I was quite surprised to read that London will get the World première for the film. The article also stated that Disney will be paying for all the lights too, so maybe we will see something really cool (imo the Dreamworks ones were dire, though last year was a random lighting thing which was cool).
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "-breeno-"You just gotta love Boris sometimes :lol:

Everyone - "Three..Two..One.."
Boris - "Go!.."

What did he expect?  Fireworks? :P

:lol:

"You've got a British writer, Charles Dickens, now dead..." ](*,)  :lol:

This is great news for us British folk nonetheless though :)

luke85

Quote from: "The Butlin Boy""You've got a British writer, Charles Dickens, now dead..." ](*,)  :lol:

That was my favourite part! It was like he thought he was giving us brand new information?!

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "luke85"
Quote from: "The Butlin Boy""You've got a British writer, Charles Dickens, now dead..." ](*,)  :lol:

That was my favourite part! It was like he thought he was giving us brand new information?!

It's not even as if he's tried to do it in a nice way, he could have 'who has unfortunately passed on' or 'who is unfortunately no longer with us', just "now dead!" :roll:  :lol:

Aveen2008

I have to say I am kind of surprised Disney have taken on this story as there are just so many versions and in a way I wonder are people not sick of seeing remake after remake of this christmas tale! However after watching the trailor it does look different in some ways...actually creepier looking - a young child watching it maybe freaked out! lol! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It looks like it has funny parts to it as well. Personally I don't like Jim Carey at all... :oops: ... I know....just don't kill me for it hehe!

I don't know if I would rush out to see it but if the opportunity presented itself I think I would give it a go  :P

:D
Luv Aveen xoxo

Aveen2008

I have to say I am kind of surprised Disney have taken on this story as there are just so many versions and in a way I wonder are people not sick of seeing remake after remake of this christmas tale! However after watching the trailor it does look different in some ways...actually creepier looking - a young child watching it maybe freaked out! lol! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It looks like it has funny parts to it as well. Personally I don't like Jim Carey at all... :oops: ... I know....just don't kill me for it hehe!

I don't know if I would rush out to see it but if the opportunity presented itself I think I would give it a go  :P

:D
Luv Aveen xoxo

Anthony

Someone posted on the trailer on YouTube: "Wow, great graphics!"

Which kind of sums up what we've seen so far.

I suppose at least the video game tie-in will look like the film. :P

peep

When I went to see Up in 3D in London on Friday night they played two scenes from the film, in 3D!

It was ok and has definitely sparked an interest in the movie. Before I wasn't too keen on the look etc but it was really good. Obviously I'm only going on two scenes which both heavily feature in the trailer but it was still impressive. I may actually go see this now come November.

Anthony

So anyone amongst the 14 million or whatever scary number watching The X Factor last night can't have failed to notice the blatant plugging of Disney's A Christmas Carol which the intro of every single singer as they attended the premiere.

Hopefully that, the huge premiere itself and the Oxford Street lights will help them get over the very average (in some cases quite bad) reviews that are pouring in...

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/10008502 ... mas_carol/

Or in fact, hopefully not. So then Zemeckis can drop these and return to making great films like he used to do.

Anyone seen it yet?

peep

I saw it *looks at time* yesterday.

It was good, very scary and dark in some parts. Wasn't quite what I was expecting but overall and enjoyable film and will probably become a staple of Christmas day in years to come.

AmericanMouse

In spite of bad reviews, the box office was US $38 million the opening weekend.

Captain Pan

Quote from: "peep"I saw it *looks at time* yesterday.

It was good, very scary and dark in some parts. Wasn't quite what I was expecting but overall and enjoyable film and will probably become a staple of Christmas day in years to come.

I couldn't agree more with you peep!

WARNING: POTENTIAL SPOILERS

Saw it in 3D on Wednesday...
With a majority of the script taken from the Dickens Classic itself, and then the traditional "We'll Cut This", "We'll Cut That", "This part is too boring leave it on the cutting room floor" , the movie actually manipulates the story in locations, and includes parts which are normally cut from the movie versions due to the pace and content [spoiler:186emcp6]The Appearance of Ignorance and Want under the Ghost of Christmas Presents cloak[/spoiler:186emcp6]

Content is rather dark, nevertheless and is very much in tune with the Dickens tale, with Jim Carrey, Jim Carrey, Colin Firth, Gary Oldman, Jim Carrey, Jim Carrey, Gary Oldman and Jim Carrey giving some rather splendid performances, and prvides some moments of intense horror normally not found in other adaptions of this tale... UNless of Course you've Seen "Scrooged".

Stitch2814

Quote from: "peep"I saw it *looks at time* yesterday.

I saw this last week and I watched it in 3D and it was quite a good film as at first I thought it was going to be a let down but it wasnt in the end.

And I agree it was a bit dark and scary in places for a disney film which is a good job its a PG especially when Scrooge is going from seeing the spirit of christmas present to christmas future as that was a bit graphic for little kids to see imo as he basically had a heart attack, turned to bones and turned to dust LOL

overall I would say for people to see it as I enjoyed it :)

Owain

I watched this film and i have to say it was beautiful. It was such a good take on the story and the effects and characters were great. The snow falling all the time looked amazing in 3D.

This will definatly be in my top 10 christmas films  :)

Patrick

I have now seen this film twice, and have to say it is ultimately amazing, from someone who has been studying this novel at university this term I am utterly impressed by the huge amount of script taken from Dickens' book.  The use of certain scenes is well, marginally forgivable, such as the horse chase, however hilarious it was, I was rather baffled as to its need in the film.  I have to say I even liked Jim Carrey, now that's something I never state :D , and the characterisation of other characters, such as The Ghost of Christmas Present, Past and Marley's Ghost were impressive, brilliant casting.  Now annoying thing is I cannot stop playing the soundtrack on my ipod :lol: .  Though due to the rest being utterly dark, mysterious, jolly, and perfectly obtaining a balance between Christmas spirit and Scrooge this film should be given 10. :D