[DLR/WDW] Toy Story Midway Mania

Started by experiment627, May 31, 2006, 07:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

This attraction looks pretty cool. Hopefully it makes its way to Paris one day. It looks a little bit like Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast, but it would fit very well in the WDS park. It's bad that it doesn't open in January at WDW, so I'm not able to ride it. :(

penfold12

I didnt realise untill the recent pics on disneytheque.com that the frontage for Toy Story Mania in MGM is based on the Pixar Studio's building in Emeryville.

The entrance to what will be Pixar Place is being built now, and is a replica of the entrance to the Pixar Studio. I think thats a really good touch. Not all cheesey and cartoony, as I imagined with the name Pixar Place, It looks very good

Anthony

disneytheque.com

I didn't know this either... quite surprised they chose Emeryville as the theme! It's a very serious look compared to Paris' Toon area. I wonder how many real guests will know it's Pixar HQ? So the story for this at MGM is now that you're visiting Pixar and the Toy Story characters are holding some kind of carnival inside? Not bad.

The recent photos of the actual ride vehicles on that cool official website look great too, I hope it doesn't disappoint now. Have any opening dates been set?

penfold12

Cheers Baloo, I was having problems uploading a pic! I have to say, in Floridian sun, this entrance is a great in joke, or nod to those who care, and still can pass a simply a great looking entrance to those who dont.

Anthony

Lots of great new DCA pictures here:

http://mousetimes.com/dlrpictorials/200 ... index.html

The building is so beautiful, it would be right at home even in our DLP...

The new facades on the boardwalk games are a massive improvement too:

And if you read the captions, it's funny to see they seem to be as desperate for a new fountain as we have been. :wink:

The Butlin Boy

The New York Times has a pretty cool feature on Toy Story Midway Mania and some new pictures:

QuoteMr. Potato Head — with help from a dozen video cameras, several computers, an unseen ride operator and a $1 million budget — will be able to make his mouth form words, a first for Disney animatronics.

The comedian Don Rickles, whose gravelly voice brought the character to life in the films, was hired to record 750 words and four songs. The hidden ride operator, armed with a computer and cameras that scan the crowd, will then choose phrases based on the actions and appearance of people standing in front of it. ("Hey, you in the red baseball hat.")

The goal was to make the character so perfect that it looked as if it had just stepped out of the movies. "

:arrow: Link

I'm so excited about this ride, I really hope that this or a unique and improved (if it can be :wink: ) version makes its way to Paris in the very near future :D

peep

^ I have to say that makes it look very interesting and exciting.

Loving the sound of the Mr Potato Head animatronic. I can't see one of these attractions coming to Paris, maybe an update of Buzz in a couple of years but you have one shooting game attraction, you don't need another one...even if it does have fancy new stuff.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "peep"^ I have to say that makes it look very interesting and exciting.

Loving the sound of the Mr Potato Head animatronic. I can't see one of these attractions coming to Paris, maybe an update of Buzz in a couple of years but you have one shooting game attraction, you don't need another one...even if it does have fancy new stuff.

Both WDW and Disneyland California have the Buzz lightyear attraction that we have and it hasn't stopped them :wink:

peep

Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"Both WDW and Disneyland California have the Buzz lightyear attraction that we have and it hasn't stopped them :wink:

Ah, really? Fine, didn't know/realize that. I think thats generally stupid then.

Anthony

Look at the size of Mr. Potato Head!! :shock:

Quote from: "peep"I can't see one of these attractions coming to Paris, maybe an update of Buzz in a couple of years but you have one shooting game attraction, you don't need another one...even if it does have fancy new stuff.
Will the two be any less different than Space Mountain and RNRC though? Or Les Voyages de Pinocchio and Snow White?

peep

Good point Baloo. Although I still wouldn't see the point of a Toy Story one and a Buzz one, if they were going to make a second shooting/interactive attraction I would prefer a different movie theme at least.

Anthony

True peep, it's a very different style of theme (despite being from the same film), but a bit more variety wouldn't be bad. I suppose Toy Story is a good fit because of the ensemble of characters.

Latest news from DHS (weird initials for a Disney park) is that soft openings should begin on 25th April. Source.

The Butlin Boy

WOAH! :shock: The worlds biggest potato just got cooler:

How awesome is that? For anyone who doesn't know who the person in front of Mr Potato Head is, it's Don Rickles, the guy man behind the voice of Mr Potato Head in the films and now the ride :)

Source: OogieBoogie on MiceChat

Anthony

They actually got the real voice back! (well, I suppose he's doing TS3 anyway) I thought his voice would actually be done by a CM on-stage to talk directly to guests. Will that not happen, or will someone select clips from Don's recordings that match for the type of guests walking past?

I don't like his arms, but I suppose they haven't developed AA arms that can fit in thin bendy plastic yet. :lol:

Can he remove more than just his ear, I wonder?

He'll look much better when he's properly lit inside the ride too, the Buzz AA would look bad in full light.

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Baloo"Can he remove more than just his ear, I wonder?

As far as I'm aware thats his limit, but that's still quite something though! =D>

Quote from: "Baloo"They actually got the real voice back! (well, I suppose he's doing TS3 anyway) I thought his voice would actually be done by a CM on-stage to talk directly to guests. Will that not happen, or will someone select clips from Don's recordings that match for the type of guests walking past?

I posted this a few posts back;

QuoteMr. Potato Head — with help from a dozen video cameras, several computers, an unseen ride operator and a $1 million budget — will be able to make his mouth form words, a first for Disney animatronics.

The comedian Don Rickles, whose gravelly voice brought the character to life in the films, was hired to record 750 words and four songs. The hidden ride operator, armed with a computer and cameras that scan the crowd, will then choose phrases based on the actions and appearance of people standing in front of it. ("Hey, you in the red baseball hat.")

The goal was to make the character so perfect that it looked as if it had just stepped out of the movies. "

So he'll sing as well, that'll be interesting! :lol: