The Studios and Christmas

Started by pussinboots, October 10, 2009, 02:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pussinboots

For the first few years in the park's history, I could understand why they didn't bother with any substantial Christmas decorations. The park wasn't exactly an ideal canvas for cozy decorations (a wreath on one of its lighting rigs would have been one waste of a wreath), it closed early, etc. Then they added Toon Studio and Hollywood Boulevard and I thought we might see some nice holiday greenery at last, perhaps even period holiday greenery. But no, just the same old rope-light displays and the odd €2 garland strung around something even cheaper.

And once again the Studios hasn't been included in the press release for this year's holiday season. So why? Why are they not jumping on the opportunity to make a cold park a little warmer, or simply to draw more guests?

It's also the only Disney park on the globe that doesn't have a big Christmas tree. Even Animal Kingdom has one, while none of the park's featured locales is a Christian country.

Anthony

I must have tried to block last year's attempted festivities from memory because it was only reading this that brought it all back...

http://www.disneytheque.com/phototheque ... 01/001.jpg

http://joel.at.dlp.online.fr/dlp/20081202/DSC05285.JPG

http://www.images-squish.net/users/VDR/6272.JPG

And Walt is still screaming somewhere.

Even came across your review from the time:
Quote from: "pussinboots"I had hoped they would dress up the new Hollywood Boulevard facades and possibly erect a proper Christmas tree at last (it's the only Disney park without a big tree), but this is even worse than nothing. I thought these stands were abysmal when they were just in Disney Village... This is supposed to be a theme park. And not Weihnachtsfestland at that.
After last year I'm happy to see an empty press release.

But I agree, the whole situation with the Studios and seasonal celebrations is incomprehensible. Why they'd want to leave the park virtually unchanged and spend their entire budget next door, I've no idea. It seems like bad planning and/or lack of imagination.

Does Walt Disney Studios have its own manager? I know DCA does (they're about to get new offices within the park), but the way things happen in Paris I'm not so sure. A lot of its problems could be down to that, if they really run it just as an offshoot of "the main park", like an overflow car park.

Kristof

You do know WDS is part of DLP Convention Centres?

The Butlin Boy

Funny you should open this today...

Minor, but relevant (and not to mention ealry!) :wink:

:arrow: http://www.newsdlrp.com/dlrp-446-wds-noel.html

15yearsofMagic2008

Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"Funny you should open this today...

Minor, but relevant (and not to mention ealry!) :wink:

:arrow: http://www.newsdlrp.com/dlrp-446-wds-noel.html

If the Halloween season  is starting soon , why have they got christmas stuff out in October ? Or was this picture taken last year ?
I want your love and i want your revenge you and me could write a bad romance

Don\'t call my name , don\'t call my name , Alejandro

Anthony

What are those two new things meant to be? They'll be done by the merchandise department anyway, so I suppose can't really be classed as park decorations.

Quote from: "Kristof"You do know WDS is part of DLP Convention Centres?
Oh I remember you telling me now! So Disneyland Park is run on its own, then WDS is lumped in with the convention centres? Just let me type "lunacy" into the thesaurus for an opinion on that...

If it doesn't already, the park really needs its own, dedicated management to fight its corner.

pussinboots

Quote from: "Anthony"Even came across your review from the time:

I do apologize for being so very unoriginal. But yes, perhaps it's better to have nothing at all than another Christmas market-type thing airlifted out of a Makro car park.

Quote from: "Kristof"You do know WDS is part of DLP Convention Centres?

Haha, really? Do they distribute their efforts equally between their real estate?

Anthony

It's strange that the Studios aren't mentioned at all in the press releases, because reading through the interviews Jeremie Noyer has very kindly sent over, there's quite a bit to look out for.

Beyond the Christmas version of Stars 'n' Cars (well, only the arrival music changed as Poppy the Monkey confirmed), the markets are back, there's a new tree and more. Here are some cheeky excerpts from Emmanuel Lenormand:

Quote"Last year, it was more about a test. This year we applied to make it more magical and more 'cinematic'."

"This year we've created a tree completely different from the one of last year, and at the same time, completely different from the one of the Disneyland park, with a perspective and a colour in the blues."

"It's true that, eventually, our will is to have Christmas celebrated as much in the Walt Disney Studios Park as in the Disneyland Park, but we prefer to go slowly, step by step. And, this year, the other innovation is the "Christmas" version of Stars'n'Cars..."
The market will become a movie-set style "Christmas Lane", with a second Santa Claus post office, a reindeer enclosure (?) and new lighting.

If last year was a "test", hopefully this year is something more worthy of "Disney".

britincgn

I always thought that the Sudios being so "cold" it would be nice to put the "Arches of Winter"somewhere in the park.

pussinboots

Quote from: "Anthony"It's strange that the Studios aren't mentioned at all in the press releases, because reading through the interviews Jeremie Noyer has very kindly sent over, there's quite a bit to look out for.

Beyond the Christmas version of Stars 'n' Cars (well, only the arrival music changed as Poppy the Monkey confirmed), the markets are back, there's a new tree and more. Here are some cheeky excerpts from Emmanuel Lenormand:

Quote"Last year, it was more about a test. This year we applied to make it more magical and more 'cinematic'."

"This year we've created a tree completely different from the one of last year, and at the same time, completely different from the one of the Disneyland park, with a perspective and a colour in the blues."

"It's true that, eventually, our will is to have Christmas celebrated as much in the Walt Disney Studios Park as in the Disneyland Park, but we prefer to go slowly, step by step. And, this year, the other innovation is the "Christmas" version of Stars'n'Cars..."
The market will become a movie-set style "Christmas Lane", with a second Santa Claus post office, a reindeer enclosure (?) and new lighting.

If last year was a "test", hopefully this year is something more worthy of "Disney".

They sure do go about it slowly. But the novelties sound promising. I wonder where they'll put the tree? I suppose we'll see soon enough.

Willow

I presume they will be the same sheds as last year but this time with some kind of facades.

I hope this returns.....

:P

pussinboots

They must have spent several euros on that.

Anthony

Quote from: "Willow"I hope this returns.....
The world's most over-elaborate power cable ever.

It's not very clear from the interview how it'll look, but it does sound like they're creating some kind of picture-postcard "Holiday" scene. Perhaps like the backdrop they used to have around the Gossip Column in Studio 1 for Ciné Folies and Edelweiss, if anyone else remembers that?

Here's another quote (I'll have posted the whole thing ahead of schedule soon):

Quote"...we aren't situated anymore behind the scenes but truly "within" a scenery, as if the guests were in a film. We wanted to plunge the guests into a dream rather than showing them the back side of the scenery. Thus that's in this spirit we created this lane."
As for location, perhaps the route leading to Backlot, with the tree somewhere outside Armageddon, as a weenie? They've no parade or High School Musical show at the moment that needs the parade route there. Although, he does state "Production Courtyard" and "the route towards Stars 'n' Cars" earlier...

Tuvok

That's great news. Hope you put the full interview online soon, Antony.
It's nice to see that they are in fact trying to bring some magic to the Studios. It surely needs it. Will this new tree actually be as large as the one in Disneyland Park?

I always imagined how cool a 'Chistmas make-over' for the Studio 1 building would be, but now that they are having 'technical difficulties' with the refurb (for god sake!), I don't think we can expect anything on that front.

Oh well, it all IS improving. Bring the Disney magic to the Studios, please!
DLRP Fan Blog > The Magic of Disneyland Resort Paris (Dutch DLRP Fan Blog)

The Butlin Boy

Well things are starting to appear in the Studios for Christmas now...

http://www.newsdlrp.com/dlrp-459-noel-d ... photo.html

When Emmanuel Lenormand said they are slowly improving it, how slowly did he mean? :roll: