Should Crush's Coaster have a single rider line?

Started by mattboywonder, October 01, 2009, 09:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattboywonder

One of the major faults with Crush's Coaster is the long queues it always seems to have.  Many parties are in a group of 3 meaning vehicles go with only 75% capacity used!  One way of cutting down the waiting time for those that don't want to wait and don't mind riding with strangers is to have a single rider option.  This usually involves being issued a single rider pass by the cast member and going up the exit way where a cast member will direct you to a waiting area until a ride is available with a spare seat.  I've just returned from Disneyland in California - had an awesome trip.  One thing I have noticed since my last trip is that several rides offer a single rider option.  They have done this for many years on 'Indiana Jones Adventure' (still my favourate ride EVER) but now offer it on 'Splash Mountain' as well as several rides at California Adventure, like 'Soarin' Over California', 'Grizzly Bear River Run', 'California Screaming' and 'Toy Story Midway Mania'.  These are attractions that often go with an emply seat - especially where a group of 3 is riding.

What does anyone think?  Fastpass didn't seem to work so c'mon Disneyland Paris - take some advice from your friends in SoCal!!
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008

Anthony

Absolutely, completely, unequivocally, 100%, any-other-way-you-can-say-it agree. I was about to merge this with the main Crush's Coaster topic, but it's such a good idea it should stay separate.

It drives me mad too to see just how many empty seats go by if you stand and watch the outside drop for a few minutes. The whole loading area and procedure is crazy, it basically amounts to waiting in line for 2hrs only to suddenly reach the "dock" and be thrown onto the ride whichever way is fastest. When you're waiting for so long, it's stupid that this area is so rushed.

So, what could also be trialled (as well as a single rider line) is to just employ 1 extra Cast Member per shift and have them stand at the turnstiles at the bottom of the steps. Here, they organise people into groups of 4 so that when they reach the second CM they're all ready to board immediately and every seat is used.

smurfy74

This sounds like a really good idea, does anyone know how the trial went on Indy when they did this???

luke85

Brilliant idea! Single rider queues would be such a welcome addition to DLP, I don't know why they folks over there haven't thought about this before?

Willow

I think logistically it wouldn't work very well.

Where would the Single Rider Line go is the big issue? It couldn't go via the exit.
Single Rider lines by their nature mean that guests think that it will be quicker to get on the ride, thus making the Single Rider Line long, it needs to be a totally dedicated line.

I've never had a good experience on the Spinball Whizzer's (Alton Towers) Single Rider, it was long, it was slow and not much faster than the main line.

mattboywonder

Quote from: "smurfy74"This sounds like a really good idea, does anyone know how the trial went on Indy when they did this???

As far as I know, Indy was one of the first rides to adopt this and it must have been sucessful as it has been in place for several years now
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March

mattboywonder

Quote from: "Willow"I think logistically it wouldn't work very well.

Where would the Single Rider Line go is the big issue? It couldn't go via the exit.
Single Rider lines by their nature mean that guests think that it will be quicker to get on the ride, thus making the Single Rider Line long, it needs to be a totally dedicated line.

I've never had a good experience on the Spinball Whizzer's (Alton Towers) Single Rider, it was long, it was slow and not much faster than the main line.

With a few exceptions of "Toy Story Midway Mania" where you wait near the boarding area and "Soarin' over California' where you go down the fastpass entrance, all the single rider queues involve going down the exit route with your pass.  Sooner or later you run into a CM who will direct you on.  On rides like "Indiana Jones" and "California Screaming" this involves getting two elevators to get to the boarding area so it can be bit confusing your first time if the CM doesn't explain exactly what to do.  This is similar to disable guests who do not have to queue - they use the exit on most rides to gain fast access.  The only ride that has a long single rider wait in my experience was "Toy Story Midway Mania" and that was on a Friday night.  Single Rider for this attraction is not in operation every day (usually only Fri, Sat & Sun) and its the only attraction where a CM has to ask a guest if they mind a single rider sitting with them!  Possibly because the nature of the game is a bit like a competition between both riders (I thrashed my co-player each time I used single rider).  

I'm sure with a bit a careful planning, this could be implemented on Crush's Coaster.  Not everyone will want to take this option, but for those that do, it will cut down the wait considerably.  Can anyone think of any other attractions that would benefit from single rider?  How about "Indiana Jones"?  They have single rider on "Raging Spirits" at Tokyo Disneysea, which is more of less the same ride as DLP's Indy

Disneyland Paris Treasures

Hmm, didn't I read a couple of years ago somewhere something about a single rider line being tested for Indy at DLP?  I am really not sure, my memory could be mixing up things.

mattboywonder

Quote from: NicolaiHmm, didn't I read a couple of years ago somewhere something about a single rider line being tested for Indy at DLP?  I am really not sure, my memory could be mixing up things.[/quote

Someone has already mentioned Indy (thought they were refering to California) but may they meant DLP so you could be right.  If they did trial it, they didn't keep it up.  But it doesn't have the waiting time that Crush has and it does have fast pass

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Nicolai"Hmm, didn't I read a couple of years ago somewhere something about a single rider line being tested for Indy at DLP?  I am really not sure, my memory could be mixing up things.

Yes they did, I'm not quite sure what came out of the tests, but they definitely did. Although Crush needs one a lot more than Indy I think :roll:

Aveen2008

I think this is a brilliant idea and should be on all rides! It would cut down waiting times, esp on the popular ones but also sometimes 1 person wants to go on something but just doesn't want to go alone! This would ensure they could sit beside someone! It would also appeal to single people to go to disney too! =D>

I wonder why they don't do this! :?
Luv Aveen xoxo

mattboywonder

Quote from: "Aveen2008"I think this is a brilliant idea and should be on all rides! It would cut down waiting times, esp on the popular ones but also sometimes 1 person wants to go on something but just doesn't want to go alone! This would ensure they could sit beside someone! It would also appeal to single people to go to disney too! =D>

I wonder why they don't do this! :?

They ONLY seem to impliment this for rides that, due to the size of the ride vehicles and the size of peoples parties, often go with an empty seat.  So it is perfect for Crush's Coaster

GinoIsAGoofy

this 'single line' is a great idea.
at port aventura in spain the have this system to at the different rides.
yes ofcourse the have a shorter time to stand in line...
and some people get pissed if the see those singelriders pasted the hole 2 hours waiting line.

so it has his + pionts and - pionts

Waddi

The idea of single rider on a multi-person rides, the likes were its a long train, BTM for example, or ToT even,  I agree with but not on individual cars like Crush, for the simple reason of ride photo, I havent been on crush but is the on ride photo not of your whole car and the riders within and I wouldnt want a stranger ruining my family coaster photo.

very superficial I know.

Disneyland Paris Treasures

Quote from: "Waddi"The idea of single rider on a multi-person rides, the likes were its a long train, BTM for example, or ToT even,  I agree with but not on individual cars like Crush, for the simple reason of ride photo, I havent been on crush but is the on ride photo not of your whole car and the riders within and I wouldnt want a stranger ruining my family coaster photo.

very superficial I know.

Crush has no ride photo.