Previous topic - Next topic

Agent Lex

Hmmmmm...

=

+

?

Just sayin'

never2old

This could look gorgeous on the PS3... Fingers crossed!

Has a release date been published? (or did I miss it?)

-breeno-

IGN.com have a new article about the game's story.

QuoteUS, October 28, 2009 - Disney Interactive Studios today officially unveiled Epic Mickey, a new adventure title staring Mickey Mouse launching exclusively for the Nintendo Wii in fall 2010.

Development is being handled by Junction Point, a Texas-based studio headed by famed game designer Warren Spector. Spector says Epic Mickey will be an "edgy and unexpected" cartoon adventure.

"Mickey is an adventurous and rambunctious mouse," said Spector. "I want to bring his personality to the forefront, place him in a daunting world and connect his spirited character with video game players worldwide. Ultimately, each player decides for him or herself what makes Mickey cool."

The story centers on rival Oswald the Lucky Rabbit - Walt Disney's first cartoon character in 1927 - and his struggles with Mickey's growing popularity. Oswald becomes the first inhabitant of the Cartoon Wasteland, a twisted world created by sorcerer Yen Sid for retired Disney characters. Mickey stumbles upon the Cartoon Wasteland and inadvertently destroys Oswald's world, and is now forced to face his greatest adversaries.

"Having Warren combine creativity and innovation with one of the world's most famous characters takes Mickey back to his creative roots and allows fans to deepen their engagement with him as a character - especially in video games," said Graham Hopper, executive vice president and general manager of Disney Interactive Studios. "In addition to Warren's lifelong love of cartoons, films and comics, his visionary approach to game design and storytelling will make certain that this heroic tale of discovery and redemption resonates with Disney fans and gamers alike."?

For Epic Mickey's paint brush controls, players will swing the Wii Remote using paint and thinner to "re-shape the world around them," which includes dynamically changing its environments, interacting with other characters, and Mickey's appearance and abilities.

"The core of this game is the idea of choice and consequence, and how that defines both the character and the player," says Spector. "By putting the mischievous Mickey in an unfamiliar place and asking him to make choices - to help other cartoon characters or choose his own path - the game forces players to deal with the consequences of their actions. Ultimately, players must ask themselves, 'What kind of hero am I?' Each player will come up with a different answer."
Story sounds pretty good, like the idea they're bringing Walt's very first character in it as the villian.  But here's something i don't like;

QuoteDisney Interactive Studios today officially unveiled Epic Mickey, a new adventure title staring Mickey Mouse launching exclusively for the Nintendo Wii in fall 2010.
:roll:   I have now lost all interest in this game (also look at the picture, Wii once again showing it's not fit to call itself a "next-gen" console).
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

mehdi5

Quote from: "-breeno-"
QuoteDisney Interactive Studios today officially unveiled Epic Mickey, a new adventure title staring Mickey Mouse launching exclusively for the Nintendo Wii in fall 2010.
:roll:   I have now lost all interest in this game (also look at the picture, Wii once again showing it's not fit to call itself a "next-gen" console).
Indeed, when i first look the concepts i thought it would be awesome, and in awesome next-gen HD, but then the Wii came along :|

Agent Lex

Because we all know that gaming is 100% about graphics. It being a fun game, with controls that only the Wii Remote could plausibly pull off, and ultimately having fun come second to it looking pretty.

Of course.

Kristof

The official description of the game by Disney:

QuoteThe world's most famous mouse stars as you've never seen him before in the highly anticipated Disney Epic Mickey, exclusive to Nintendo Wii.  Epic Mickey is set in Wasteland, a dark world populated with forgotten Disney characters that's ruled by Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.  In this altered Disney universe, Oswald needs the help of a re-imagined mischievous, heroic and determined Mickey Mouse.  Only together can they defeat evil.  Created by renowned game designer Warren Spector and developed by Junction Point Studios and Disney Interactive, Epic Mickey features paint and thinner game play and centers around themes of discovery, forgiveness, redemption and family.  Get ready to experience the gaming Magic of Disney.

-breeno-

Disney Interactive Studios have said in an interview why Epic Mickey will be a Wii exclusive.

Quote from: "IGN"Disney Interactive president Stephen Wadsworth keynoted the DICE Summit 2010 in Las Vegas Wednesday night and afterward he and studio chief Graham Hopper met a small group of journalists for a brief Q&A session. The two company leaders spoke about several topics, including everything from Disney's portfolio of games to support of iPad. Inevitably, questions arose about Epic Mickey, the Wii-exclusive adventure headed by industry veteran Warren Spector and Junction Point Studios.

Asked why the title was selected for Wii rather than another platform, the two suggested it was a simple matter of the project being well-matched to Nintendo's system.

"We've got to think about our audience and obviously we have a very large base that has Wii in their homes. It's not to say that it won't come to other platforms, but we want to get the intersection of that story, those characters and that audience," said Wadsworth.

"The simple thing is that the key mechanic is an ink and pain mechanic and the motion of the ink and painting and erasing something with the Wii as a gesture is completely intuitive to people," added Hopper. "And as soon as we started playing around with that, it seemed obvious to us that Wii was the right platform to bring this to life."

The Wii remote does seem the ideal fit for such play mechanics, but what about Microsoft's forthcoming Natal, set to debut for Xbox 360 later this year?

"We started this a few years ago. I think if we would have started it six months ago we would have potentially thought differently about it. But when we did this there was no sign of Natal on the horizon," said Hopper. "I think that kind of gesture control, which is an intuitive way of interacting with the game, is going to help us to make more immersive experiences that are more natural for people."

And what about Natal and Sony's motion devices? Does Disney have any titles in development for either one?

"We talk to Microsoft and Sony about them all the time. But nothing we want to announce at this time," said Hopper.

Source - IGN

For those who do not know, the "Natal" thing they mentioned in the article is, it's an upcoming add-on for the Xbox 360 which is pretty much a Wii rip-off only there's no Wii remote or anything.

I'm still disappointed that this will never reach the next gen consoles.  It had so much potential with the concept art but they've messed it up.  Also for the record i do not see graphics as everything, gameplay is much more important, but I personally feel the Wii is poor for gameplay with most games.  The controls are far too sensitive so it's hell to play something like a first person shooter (I played COD: World at War on it and couldn't get past prologue mission).
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

HildeKitten

I LOVE the artwork and concept art!
Then again, I'm biased to hell and back because well, I'm a steampunk and the whole thing looks distinctively steampunk and dystopian :D

My only regret is that I don't own a wii and thus won't be able to play it.
It's a bit daft to buy a console just for one game after all.

You guys will have to tell me all about it so I can live through your playing it ;)

QueenEm

Oh I wish... I wish I could be part of his world!

Masamune

This game is AWESOME. Been playing it since Wednesday and I'm loving every minute of it. The camera angles can be a bit weird at times, but other than that, it's fantastic!

never2old

I love this game!! But I confess I'm not very good, specially when it comes to jumping from one place to another... I die a lot...

Still, lots of fun!

dagobert

Does someone know if disney plans to release the game for PS3 as well? I don't have a Wii and I think the games deserves a better hardware with a high definition picture.

Masamune

There were rumours at some point that this was going to get ported to the 360. :( Not heard anything for PS3 though. Honestly, it works so well on the Wii, I don't know if it would be as enjoyable on 360/PS3. Lol, I'd still get it if it came out on PS3 though. That's how much I love it!

dagobert

Quote from: "Masamune"There were rumours at some point that this was going to get ported to the 360. :( Not heard anything for PS3 though. Honestly, it works so well on the Wii, I don't know if it would be as enjoyable on 360/PS3. Lol, I'd still get it if it came out on PS3 though. That's how much I love it!

Since Sony and Microsoft introduced a similar controller I can imagine that it would work at the PS3 and XBOX as well.

SophieD

This game looks so good!! Does anyone know if its avaliable for PSP?? Thankies xx :D  :D
Sophie \":nemo:\"
xxxxx
follow me on Twitter!!

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.- Walt Disney