[Video Game] Epic Mickey

Started by Captain Pan, July 30, 2009, 04:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Pan

Found this on my Pixar Forum...

Epic Mickey is a new video game being published by Junction Studios (which it owned by Disney) and is being developed by Warren Spector of Deus Ex fame. Here is some concept art.

More Screenshots and Concept Art Here

At the moment unofficially announced for the Wii... There is a rather freaky Goofy character in it... which I will say will be giving me nightmares for a while...

Sorry if the Pics are to big... I'm not sure how to resize them...

Pete's Dragon

Ok, officially weird. It looks like what would ahppen if Sid from Toy Story was given a job as an Imagineer. Some of those vehicles lok like they've come striaght from underneath his bed  :?

Captain Pan

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"Ok, officially weird. It looks like what would ahppen if Sid from Toy Story was given a job as an Imagineer. Some of those vehicles lok like they've come striaght from underneath his bed  :?

That's actually what I thought.... Its a post apocalyptic WDW I thought too though!

-breeno-

Looks very odd indeed.  Kinda reminds me of Terminator Salvation, especially with the weird vehicles.

Any idea what the plot of this will be about?  Or even what type of game this is?  Or will it be yet another Disney Wii exclusive?  (honestly it's annoying me now, not as much Disney but Nintendo, they've lost their way and forgot about the hardcore gamer which help make them famous.  All they care about now is family games)
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Pete's Dragon

From the artwork and the title, I guessing that its gonna be something in a similar vein to Final Fantast VII. Although if its for the Wii, it ain't gonna be as big and the graphics will look nothing like the concept artwork (probably more like Mickey's Clubhouse)

-breeno-

Found this;

QuoteInternet Detectives have sniffed out a few leads on the next project from legendary game designer Warren Spector, and following those has unraveled a huge stack of concept artwork for a Wii game in collaboration with Disney that's been dubbed "Epic Mickey."

The designer responsible for the prescient first-person RPGs System Shock and Deus Ex now heads his own studio, Junction Point, in Austin, TX. Spector sold the studio to Disney in 2007 and stated in interviews that he was designing the kind of project that was only possible by working for the Mickey Mouse House.

Sure enough, concept art floating around the Internet looks like Junction Point is working on a game starring the iconic character. What's more, artist portfolios referring to a code name of "Epic Mickey" corroborate a report from game site Gamasutra that surfaced last year and described the game as "steampunk."

The concept images that have hit the Web show famous Disney characters, retro-future steam-powered machinery, and epic qualities all at once. Check out the render above: it's all of Disney World's famous EPCOT Center, albeit broken, floating on a steam ship, with nothing more than a pair of famous round ears at the bow. Other sketches show apocalyptic wastelands shaped out of riveted metal, a twisted Goofy figure with tattered clothes and empty eye sockets, and the famous Disney castle stuck atop a precipitous spire.

As many gamers would surmise from a game featuring Disney characters front and center, "Epic Mickey" may be headed for the Wii. Artist Tony Pulham lists the game on his online resume as in development for Nintendo's remote-waggling wonder box and makes no mention of any other platform.

Last year, Gamasutra declared "Epic Mickey" to be a platformer. While there has yet to be any corroboration of that claim, the rest of that site's report has held up through the revelation of these concept art galleries.

Upon selling his studio to Disney, Spector joked that his fans would label him a "sell-out" once his game was revealed to the public. But with artwork this unconventional, such a derogatory word may be the last thing on gamers' minds once the covers come all the way off "Epic Mickey."

Source

Platformer then?

Also yeah your right PD.  It's Wii so the graphics wont be anywhere near the concept art.
- Walt Disney

Barnsey313

When I first heard about it earlier this year I thought it would be a great game. Steampunk trains, blimps and gadgets etc. along with mickey mouse, but this looks to be very dark and eerie. I won't be watching trailers let alone playing it for fear of it scarring the image of Disney I have.

Masamune

:shock: This. Looks. AWESOME! It definatly looks like my cup of tea.

:P I don't know where you get the impression of it being similiar to Final Fantasy VII though Pete. That's my fave game of all time, and I fail to see the resemblence.

QTXAdsy

:shock:  
This looks quite dark for Disney. I'll keep an eye on this planned game.

Here Come The Belgians!

davewasbaloo

This does look like an absolutely awesome game. I do like my Disney embracing the dark side.
since 2001 (many before that)

Gareth

wow i do like the look of this very kingdom hearts which is like my fav game EVER lol

[size=150]Please Follow Me - - - - Twitter.com/Gareth2100 ---- Thanks

Soap

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

CentralPlazaPerson

This game looks awesome!
Any news of it for the ps3?

mehdi5

Quote from: "-breeno-"Looks very odd indeed.  Kinda reminds me of Terminator Salvation, especially with the weird vehicles.

Any idea what the plot of this will be about?  Or even what type of game this is?  Or will it be yet another Disney Wii exclusive?  (honestly it's annoying me now, not as much Disney but Nintendo, they've lost their way and forgot about the hardcore gamer which help make them famous.  All they care about now is family games)
The American magazine Game Informer had Wii exclusive on the original version of the preview, but it was a mistake and they removed it, so it will propably be multi-platform.

-breeno-

IGN mentioned Epic Mickey in today's Daily Fix video.  Sadly though they couldn't provide us with anymore information about if it's a Wii exclusive or not, just repeating what we already know;

(skip to 0:44 if you aren't bothered about youtube being sued :P )
[youtube:1qv1w3e9]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mus2fqo1qyI[/youtube:1qv1w3e9]
Fingers crossed that we will be seeing this on PS3/360.  Would love to see the game to actually look like that impressive concept art (which the Wii simply won't do).
- Walt Disney