9 of 13 Disney Stores in France to close

Started by Anthony, July 26, 2009, 12:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Bad news for French Disney fans, 9 of the 13 stores in the country look set to be closed.

Links (in French):

http://www.nordeclair.fr/Actualite/2009 ... e-pu.shtml

http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/Locales/Lill ... -pas.shtml

The closing of the Lille store seems to have been focused on particularly, if I've read those correctly it was actually still making a profit, but had trouble increasing that due to high rents? It still has 25,000 people through its doors each week.

I don't suppose this will have a major effect on Disneyland. The Stores might encourage people to visit, but then the closing of the stores might in turn encourage people to save up and go there instead.

Pete's Dragon

Okay, this I dont understand. If the store is making a profit, why close it? Surely in this current economic climate it must be nigh on impossible for a business to see an increase in sales, and any shop which can easily hold its head above water is doing better the 90% of the businesses out there.

I suppose there's always the theory, of retreating and fortifying the castle. Maybe they feel that closng the stores will force the Disney-holics to visit DLP for there fix of Plushies and Pins. But history has shown that companies that take risks during a recession usually fair better in the long-term than those who play it overly safe.

Aveen2008

Wow :shock:  I feel sorry for the french fans but then again they have DLP whereas if it was the uk or something we don't!

It is odd that they would close a store making profit but obviously they don't feel it's making enough. Perhaps with DLP being in france these stores aren't doing as well because people can go to the park...just another possibility!

There is only 1 Disney store at present in the whole or Ireland so they better not close it!! :wink:
Luv Aveen xoxo

glenn

the same thing is happening in england.the disney stores in crawley and croydon have closed.

davewasbaloo

I hate to say it, but if the Disney Stores disappeared, I would not miss them at all. Sure, if they were still like the early years with magical decor, collectables, in park items, Hyperion books, adults clothes, kitchen equipment etc.

But now it is an overpriced (ASDA, Tescos and Online offer the same/similar stuff cheaper) toystore with cheesy tween pop tunes blasting out, and cast members who know very little about Disney.

Back when I worked in the Watford store, we used to do quizes every week, had to know loads about the resorts, and there were loads of really cool merchandise for everyone. It really felt like you were at the parks. Now it feels like a real down market experience.

So I wish Disney would return them to their former glory. If not, just shutter them all.
since 2001 (many before that)

Javey74

Quote from: "Aveen2008"Wow :shock:  I feel sorry for the french fans but then again they have DLP whereas if it was the uk or something we don't!

It is odd that they would close a store making profit but obviously they don't feel it's making enough. Perhaps with DLP being in france these stores aren't doing as well because people can go to the park...just another possibility!
I totally agree with your statements Aveen. It is a shame, but it would affect us more if it happened here on the same scale.  :wink:

Actually increased rents or leases attribute to most store closures, obviously the Lille store must have needed more of a profit margin than the lease allowed for..  :roll:

But I think that it might have a positive affect on DLRP, for visiting and merchandise..  :wink:  :D

Maarten

Quote from: "Aveen2008"Wow :shock:  I feel sorry for the french fans but then again they have DLP whereas if it was the uk or something we don't!

There is only 1 Disney store at present in the whole or Ireland so they better not close it!! :wink:

Haha, I feel your pain. We don't even have one single Disney Store here in the Netherlands. We used to be an important market for Disneyland Paris. Nowadays however, I feel like they seem to focus on the French, English and Spanish markets in particular (EuroDisney at last). Here in the Netherlands we dont even have a Disney Channel (although that might change since all Jetix channels in Europe are changed to Disney Channel/XD). However, what I want to say, and the same applies for Germany aswell I assume, is that Disney should become more present in countries like Belgium, The Netherlands and Germany. Think about Disney Channel and Disney Stores. These offerings could support each other (DVD sales, promotion for Disneyland Paris etc). I dont want to sound negative, but I dont understand Disney's tactics. Are they ingnorant or have they already done studies for these countries? I just cant imagine that there isnt a market for Disney overhere, or in Aveen's case, in Ireland.

Its quite strange to close these Disney Stores in France, especially since most of them (if not all?) make a profit.

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"I hate to say it, but if the Disney Stores disappeared, I would not miss them at all. Sure, if they were still like the early years with magical decor, collectables, in park items, Hyperion books, adults clothes, kitchen equipment etc.

...It really felt like you were at the parks. Now it feels like a real down market experience.

If I may ask you, I am only familiar with the Disney Store on the Champs-Elyssee. I always felt thats a nice, classy store. (Maybe not as nice as World of Disney in New York which I visited a few weeks ago, but still). How would you compare the Disney Store on its heyday to the current one on Champs or World of Disney in New York?  :)

Cendrillon

My closest Disney store has recently closed down and I'm absolutely gutted. Fair enough, I never bought anything there - I only ever buy Disney merchandise at the parks - but it was just nice to go in every once in a while, just for a Disney fix! I was also thinking about getting a job there next summer, so I guess I'll have to re-think that plan!

Soap

I myself are thinking for awhile now to start a researc if it's interesting to start a dedicated Disney Store somewhere here in Holland.
We've got some retailers selling exclusive merchandice (ACME store) but nothing like a real Disney store thous.

But i'm not sure where to start or where i can contact Disney about the possibilities.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney