Geomelin's Magical Summer Trip, 8-15 July 2009: with videos

Started by geomelin, July 19, 2009, 10:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora

I enjoyed your videos a lot. Looking at the two girls, I doubt it took them more then five minutes to fall a sleep at night...
And it was nice to see the Mary Poppins thing.
My question is, where have you met Belle??
Aurora

Pete's Dragon

I cant believe I never saw the Pic'n'Mix, weird.

Anyway, sounds like you had a great birthday (how could you not under the circumstances). Def. gonna book Auberge for my little daughter in Sept. Did you book before you left, or when you got to the park??

geomelin

Quote from: "Aurora"I doubt it took them more then five minutes to fall a sleep at night...

No way they wanted to sleep. Oh my God, they were so energetic! And we had connecting rooms and they still wanted to play while being in our rooms. But after all, it was our pleasure to see them being happy.

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"Did you book before you left, or when you got to the park??

I booked two months in advance. It was something we definitely wanted to do, so I didn't want to risk it.
Previous Trips

(1) 2000 - Disneyland Paris (Millennium Celebration)
(2) 2002 - Disneyworld Orlando - Disney Cruise to the Bahamas
(3) 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Christmas Season)
(4) 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Summer Season)

geomelin

Quote from: "Aurora"My question is, where have you met Belle??
Aurora

We saw Belle by accident outside the Town Square Photography.
It was our last day in Disneyland and we were a little bit disappointed because Belle was my daughter's favorite and we were a week there and we didn't see her.

It was actually a surprise, because it was not listed in the Meet 'n' Greet program.
Previous Trips

im totally goofy

=D>  =D> well smart vids makes me want to go back so soon but the kids will have to wait another year as i want to go xmas next year  =D>  =D>

bigrossco

great videos and good trip reports as well as tips !

Everything I read a trip report i just want to get up off my chair and arrive in DLP lol
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

geomelin

Day 3, 10/7/09

Today, Studios were in the program so we stayed a little more in bed. We went for breakfast at 8:45. What a chaos!!! I never saw before so many people trying to catch a croissant. The previous days we had breakfast at 7 and we were almost ourselves. Today we were standing 5 minutes with our tray waiting for a table to empty. We didn't want to go outside. Never again so late at the breakfast.

At about 9:40 we were outside of the Studios. We realized that the gates were already opened and I was a little worried that there were already lines, too in front of the popular attractions. We went straight for the Crush' s Coaster soon to find out that there were people waiting in line which was finishing almost at the exit of Studio 1. We had no choice than to wait because we knew that later in the days things would be worse. Hopefully, when the ride opened the queue was moving quickly. Now, we had to decide: only the parents on board the turtle or kids. too? I have read so many reviews saying that it was scary, etc. Finally, we decided that all the family would ride. We didn't regret it. The coaster didn't frightened the girls, although they told us that they do not want to ride it again. Personally, I enjoyed it very much. It was a nice attraction, but it would be better if there were more characters of the movie inside. For example, you see Nemo only for a few seconds and only if you sit facing forward.

After Crush's Coaster we stayed in Toon Studio and did the "Flying Carpets over Agrabah" and "Cars Quatre Roues Rallye". The girls admitted that the spinning cars were their favorite ride so far! We then meet Buzz Lightyear and Remy for some beautiful photos and autographs. Of course, Buzz couldn't sign himself, so a cast member put a stamp in our book.

Lunch time and we went to "Restaurant des Stars" since we had a reservation there. We chose that restaurant because we wanted to meet Remy (the animatronic). Because we had a reservation we were immediately seated, otherwise you should wait in line. The cashier there offered us a bid dose of disappointment telling us that Remy wouldn't make his show because of a technical problem. So, we had to enjoy the lunch at least. The buffet (all you can eat) was very rich - starters, salads, main courses and deserts. While we were eating we heard a loud music and a man shouting. It was the chef with the trolley and Remy. Wow, technical problems are solved really quick in this restaurant. We were happy again and waited anxiously for the chef to visit our table. The girls enjoyed it very much, although they couldn't interact with him (language barrier). I think that the whole attraction depends on the acting of the chef. That day, that man was a great actor!!!

After lunch and with our stomachs full we wanted something more relaxed and so we went for Animagique. I wasn't impressed by the show since I saw it again, but the kids liked it. Then it was time for another show, "Moteurs... Action! Stunt Show Spectacular". While waiting in your seats, you realize how many people visit the Studios every day by watching the continuous flow of people that never stops... The show was once again great and this time I was ready to record the finale with the red car. The previous time it was so unexpected I missed it.

Parade time! People where gathering in front and around the stage, where the parade finishes. We decided not to see the show, so as soon as the parade finish we would run for Rock 'n' roll coaster. We saw the parade from just outside Studio 1. I was not impressed like the parade in Disneyland. After all, I saw the same parade in Disneyworld in 2002, so it was not original. And it ended too quickly.

The line for the Rock 'n' Roll coaster was only 15 minutes and it was again a ride for the fathers. The rest of the family waited for us - where else? - at the shop at the exit of the ride. This is my favorite Disney roller coaster. No visit to Disneyland is complete without this. Once again I enjoyed it! Of course I still have to ride Mt Everest in Animal Kingdom (Orlando) to see if it stills be in Number 1.

So, we had one hour left in the Studios. Is it enough for some more rides? Yes it was. We did "Stitch Live" and we also got the last tram in "Tram Tour". "Stitch Live" was very interesting. Unfortunately, the girls couldn't enjoy it to the max because of the language. I had to translate so as to understand what was happening. I was continuously asking myself "How are they doing it?". Of course, now, I think I know where the camera is!!!

The "Tram Tour" is a must only for the Catastrophe Canyon. All the other exhibits are so "dead". I think they Disney Imagineers have to think something how to bring them in life and make them "interact" with the riders.

After the closure of the Studios we went to Disney Village for dinner and some shopping. For dinner we have chosen the "New York Style Sandwiches" because we didn't want to have something expensive. I didn't like them at all. Next time I will choose McDonalds instead.

While we were shopping at Disney Village we saw those bicycles (something like that anyway) for rental and we thought it was a good idea for having some fun. We were right! We rented a vehicle for 6 and we biked around Disney Lake visiting the hotels there. We had so much fun because sometimes we didn't have the power to pedal and some other times when the route was downhill we ran so fast - people, be aware !!!

Back to the hotel and the girls - once again - full energetic. So, instead of going to our rooms we went to the playground of the hotel. The girls had fun, but I think the playground needs some additions of games!

Next: Day 4, Paris and Day 5, Walt Disney Studios
Previous Trips

Annet

Sounds like a great day! Day 4, Paris, also sounds great. I love that city!

geomelin

Day 5, 11/7/2009

In our program it was saying Paris, so as soon as we finished our breakfast we went to the train station for the RER. There we bought some Paris Visite travel cards since we were planning to use the metro for our transfers. For today we decided to see only 3 attractions we haven't seen before plus the Eiffel Tower which is a must for every visit.

Our first stop was the Science Museum, "Cite des Sciences" in Parc Villette. We were at the entrance just a few minutes before it opened. The exhibition floors disappointed us since everything was in french. We gave up and we went down to the basement to visit the  children part of the museum. After all, this part was the purpose for our visit. We made a reservation 2 weeks before for a session which lasted 90 minutes, from 10:30 to 12:00. The area was divided in 6 sections with interactive activities for the kids. They really loved it and they had some fun. Of course, not only them but us the parents, as well. The sections were: The garden, The body, The factory, Communication, Games with water and TV Studio. We then decided to have some lunch in the museum so as not to be worried afterwards to find a place to eat in the city.

Next stop, Centre Pompidou for some dose of modern art. The building was very interesting. It looked like a huge factory. Of course, there was full of people and you had to stay in line to buy your tickets. We decided not to spend more that 2 hours in the museum, so we went to see the permanent collection on the 4th floor. Finally, the collection was not to permanent but it was an exhibition of female art. It was quite interesting. But Mikaela was already tired (probably she missed Mickey and his friends). I believe that apart from the building, your experience at the museum depends on the current exhibitions.

We then headed for Montmartre. The place there was so, so, so crowded. Especially the narrow street from the metro station up to the hill. We chose to take the funiculaire to get up to the church instead of taking the stairs. Anyway, it was included in our Paris Visite card. The view from the hill was astonishing. You could see the whole Paris even the Eiffel Tower. The church was beautiful (but it needs cleaning)! After having some rest there, we went to Place du Tertre to see the artists. Another crowded place. We strolled around, we got the feeling and then we sat in a cafeteria to have some french crepes.

Last stop the Eiffel Tower. It was our third time there, but still impressed. We didn't tried to go up to the top (i think you can guess the reason). We spent some time there and then we got hungry. We tried to find a restaurant but either they were crowded or we didn't like the menu. Finally, we decided to go back to Hotel Cheyenne and have our dinner there. That' s what we did. The girls fall asleep in the train and when we got back they were ... full energetic, again. The buffet was rich and it' s worth it to dine at least one during your stay in the hotel.

OK, we had a nice day in Paris but it was tiring for and with the kids. But the most tiring of all was the use of the metro. For every attraction we have seen we had to change three metro lines, so a lot of time was spent underground. But you save money this way, instead of taking a taxi. And if you are a group of six no taxi can take you all together.

Enjoy our video in Paris.

[youtube:1ks2yfgf]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M28HXFzM8yo[/youtube:1ks2yfgf]

Next: Day 5, Walt Disney Studios
Previous Trips

geomelin

Day 5, 12/7/09

For our Sunday's morning we have chosen to have the Character Breakfast at Cafe Mickey. We also decided to go to Disney Village on foot from Hotel Cheyenne. Walking by the river early in the morning was just wonderful and so calm. It took us only 10 minutes, so we promised to do it again.

At 8 o 'clock we were seated in our table. The restaurant was almost empty: just us and another table. We served ourselves immediately, so as not to eat later when interacting with the characters. The buffet was much better, with a bigger variety, from the breakfast which is served at the Hotel Cheyenne. Then it was the time for the characters. In the first group it was Mickey, Pluto and Prince John (from "Robin Hood"). Mickey and Pluto were a real entertainment. They came more than once in our table, playing with the girls and us, making funny poses for the camera and signing our autograph books. On the contrary, Prince John was the bad guy. Ok, maybe it is his character to be the angry and bad one, but I believe it is not a good choice when you have small children around. He scared the girls with his behavior: he took their pen and threw them on the floor, he moved their chairs to the other table, he tried to mess their hair, etc. Us, the parents, we were laughing so as not to let them be scared, but it was unavoidable. In the second group of characters we had Donald, Scrooge and Goofy. And in that point, happened the thing that made me angry (even ready to complain to the manager). The person who was Goofy was the one he was Prince John before. It was really obvious to understand this. His moves, his walking, his gestures even his bad behavior were the same destroying to our us and the girls' the idea we had about Goofy. Goofy is a character to love no to be afraid of. We later had to find him again somewhere in the parks so as no to still have this bad impression of him. Anyway, the overall experience at the breakfast was very good. It' s the perfect to way to see the characters relaxed and without waiting in lines or being pushed. What I would like better is to include at least one female character (Minnie, Daisy, etc) every morning.

It was already 9. Was it too early for Walt Disney Studios? No it wasn't. People was already gathering in front of the gates. So, did we! We entered the park at 9:30 among the first group and we ran for the Tower of Terror. I was excited because I did this ride in the past, in 2002 at Disneyworld and I couldn't remember much of it. I could only remember my wife biting my arm. As you can imagine, it was once again a ride for the fathers only. The mothers went with the kids for some rides in Toon Studio. I was once amazed by the whole attraction: the buliding, the decoration, the atmosphere. And I haven't even done the ... drop. The good about this ride is that there is a story about it which you can see as soon as you enter the elevator, it 's not just a drop. Ok, the drop was not so sudden and frightening as I expected. And I had a great on-ride picture, too. We later tried to convince our wives to ride it again with them, but our efforts were in vain.

Then, it was time for the kids. We went to Disney Playhouse Live on Stage for the english version. Our kids were familiar with the characters since we have the shows in our national tv dubbed in greek. Once I again I had to make some translation. But even if I didn't the girls would still enjoy it. It was one of the best attractions for kids in the Studios. The effects with the bubbles and leaves were very clever and made the children enjoy it even more.

Our last attraction in the studios was Cinemagique. I have to admit that it was the attraction that impressed me the most. We have seen it again in 2006 and the only reason we were going is because of the other family of the group which hasn't seen it before. Thanks God we haven't missed it. First of all, the whole show was not like the one in the past but they improved it to the better. I do not want to say more because I may reveal something and destroy the magic for those who are reading this trip report. But the special effects are really SPECIAL. Do not miss it!

After Cinemagique we said goodbye to the Studios and left the park. According to our program, it was time for some shopping, but not Disney shopping. We took the train and we went to Val d' Europe. It was Sunday and the only shop(s) that was open was La Vallee Village. What a mistake we made! I believe all the Paris was there. It was so crowded you couldn't shop anything. All the queues we avoided at the parks, we found them all there. Wait in queue just to enter the shop (Ralph Lauren for example), wait in queue to try something in the fitting rooms, wait in queues to pay. The truth was that there are some stuff to buy with great prices. But never again on Sunday and early in the morning. We left the area with just a jean (my wife was the lucky one).

We went to Disney Village and had a Starbuck's coffee. We sat a while in a bench and then we went for the Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show! The whole atmosphere there, the hats that they give you, the pre-show, the arena where all very promising. The food was nothing special for the price you pay. And the very strange thing I have never experienced before is that there is a certain time to eat it. Of course you don't know it before. Let me explain better. I was eating, almost finished but certainly NOT finished. Suddenly, the waiter came and as we were seating in a row he started taking our plates one by one without even asking. It was so sudden and unexpected I couldn't react. But we knew what to do with the desert: we ate it very quickly !!! Now regarding the show. Once again I cannot say I was excited. The first part of the show was the better. The second one with the games, personally I found it a little boring. I could see a lot of people around me having fun. But as you know opinions varies. Finally, it 's a very nice show you have to see once, but just once.

Our day ended with a beautiful walk back to the hotel.

Next: Day 6, Brussels
Previous Trips

geomelin

Day 6, 13/7/09

For today we planned an one-day excursion to Brussels. We haven't visited that city before, it was a very nice opportunity to do so. With the TGV train we were there in half an hour. Our first stop was the Mini Europe Park, the park where all the great European monuments have been recreated down to the smallest detail. It was very nice strollinn around in the park and having Mikaela believe she was a giant. We could see some Paris monuments we have already seen in real life as well as an ancient theatre from our country. We then went to the landmark of Brussels, the Atomium, which was just next to the park. Atomium is a very strange building and yet magnificent. We also went at the top where we could see the whole city.

It was nearly time for lunch but we preferred to have it downtown. So, we took the metro and went to Grand Place. It was the most beautiful square of any European city I have ever seen. It was full of people and full of chocolates. We forgot that we were hungry and we tried some Leonidas chocolates instead. We went for some walking in the area: very beautiful and ... traditional.

After lunch, we walked to the famous Manneken Pis, the little boy who pisses water. If you expect a big statue, you will be disappointed. He is very tiny. We also saw the Jeanneken Pis, the female version of the statue. Later on we visited the Brussels on Stage exhibition. It 's located in the basement of a chocolaterie. What a waste of money! We had better time in the chocolaterie. We spent the rest of our afternoon trying to find out which brand of chocolates is the best. We decided it was Neuhaus, so we bought a big package to take back home.

At 8 o' clock in the evening we took the train back to Disneyland.

Enjoy our video in Brussels

[youtube:1on67ul4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98wINQPMv2o[/youtube:1on67ul4]

Next: Day 7, Disneyland Park
Previous Trips

The Butlin Boy

Thanks for posting a great report so far George, I've really enjoyed reading it. I especially enjoyed the Paris and Brussels videos that you posted too. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it soon :)

geomelin

Day 7, 14/7/09

Today we we woke up with the hope that Space Mountain was working! So, as soon as we entered the park, at 8 o' clock, we ran to Discoveryland, soon to find out that Space Mountain was still ... sleeping. The words of the cast member there were very disappointing: "It might never work again!". We did Buzz once again and then headed to Fantasyland for another round of the open attractions.

At 9 o' clock we were finished and sat on a bench at Central Plaza just opposite the entrance of Frontierland. As you can imagine, our next stop would be the Big Thunder Mountain. At 9:30 we took our places behind the white rope as a lot of people were gathering there having the same thought in mind: "Run to be the first to ride". It was really fun seeing all these people (and ourselves among them) running to ... catch the train. This time I decided to film while being on ride while my wife would encourage our little daughter. The ride was great. I haven't done it since 2002 (in our last visit in 2006 it wasn't working) and I really enjoyed it. On the contrary, it was the first ride our daughter was frightened and started crying. She told us that she didn't like it and that she won't do it again, unless she will be 6 years old (now she is 5 !!!).

The second ride was Phantom Manor, but we thought it wouldn't be a good idea for the girls (since they were already scared). So, the other family took our daughter to Pocahontas playrgound and me and my wife, like newly weds again, we went to Phantom Manor. While riding we thought that the girls would definitely be scared. It 's a ride you have to see at least once. As I could remember at the end of the ride you see yourself in a mirror and then a ghost takes your place. That time it didn't work. Maybe I cannot remember well.

After Phantom Manor, the whole group reunited for a peaceful ride with Thunder Mesa Riverboat. We took our places on the top of the boat and we enjoyed the whole scenery of Frontierland. Just amazing!

It was almost noon and we were hungry. We went to Discoveryland (hoping that Space Mountain was operating) and to Buzz Lightyear's Pizza Planet. Space Mountain was still dead, but we had a very nice time in the restaurant and especially the girls because of the indoor playground. We even tasted the pizza burger and I have to admit it wasn't bad.

After lunch we went to "Honey I shrunk the audience" without waiting any queue at all. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with that attraction. It wasn't improved at all since the last time I saw it back in 2000 and the special effects were not working properly. I believe that Disney Imagineers have to change the movie keeping of course the theme of 3D.

Our next stop was Fantasyland ti watch Winnie the Pooh and Friends, too! show. Having reserved seats for the kids in the front rows was a very good idea. The kids enjoyed it very much (although not understanding a word) especially the part that the characters get off the stage and come closer to the kids.

It was about 3 o 'clock in the afternoon and we started going towards the exit. The plan was to go back to the hotel for some rest and luggage packing and come back at the night for the Fantillusion Parade and the fireworks. Of course, on our way to the exit we made some stops: to see Minnie's Party Train, to watch Mary Poppin's show, to meet and kiss Belle (whose appearance was a big surprise) and to make some last shopping.

Back in the hotel we "forced" Mikaela to have a nap, otherwise she wouldn't be able to stay awake until midnight and us, the parents, we made our luggage. We actually needed an extra bag to fit Ariel's costume and all the other Disney stuff we have bought the previous days. But mission accomplished.

At 8 o' clock in the evening we were ready and took the shuttle bus for Disneyland Park. We were hungry (as usual) and we decided Cafe Hyperion in Discoveryland to combine our dinner with Mickey's favorite cartoons in Cinema Mickey. The restaurant was huge and as it was the only opened in Discoveryland it was crowded, too. We had to wait a lot of time in line (the fathers) and the rest of the group enjoyed the cartoons.

After our lunch we tried to find our places in Main Street to watch Fantillusion. It was impossible to find any spot so we went to Fantasyland to enjoy the parade from there. We sat on the ground, behind that ... famous white rope, we had the castle opposite us and we waited in patience. The parade was absolutely magical. It does some stops during which they perform a show, so it depends what float stops in front of you. We had the Princesses in front of us but I think the Villains float would be more interesting.

Finally, we were told to move in Main Street for the fireworks. We waited that night for the fireworks since it was the French Bastille Day and they had something special. The fireworks were astonishing. What a better way to end your week in Disneyland with a firework celebration.

Next: Day 8, Disneyland and departure
Previous Trips

geomelin

Day 8, 15/7/09

Today it was the last day of our vacations and we wanted to spend some hours in Disneyland before we went to the airport. So, we had an early breakfast, a quick check-out, we said a goodbye to the hotel and we took our luggage to the train station. There we used the luggage storage facility, which I have to admit it is a very good idea. For 9.50 euros we got the large storage and free of luggage we went towards the gates of the park.

It was about 8:20 and our hope was to ride the Space Mountain although we knew that the chances for the ride to be operating were minimum. We were right! So, a week in Disneyland and not being able to ride Space Mountain. Next time! We did once again all the other attractions in Fantasyland that were open, we posed for some photos and at about 10 o 'clock we went to Main Street to see the "Good Morning Main Street, USA". For us, it was actually "Good Bye Disneyland". The kids loved it especially when Cinderella went towards them and gave them a kiss.

For our last attraction we had the "Disneyland Railroad". We took the train from Main Street Station and as we were going around the park we had all those great moments we had there passing by our minds. We left the park with wonderful memories and promised to ourselves to be back soon!

At 12 o'clock we were at the train station, we got our luggage, then the TGV train and in 10 minutes we were at the airport ready to take our flight back home!
Previous Trips

Pete's Dragon

Sorry you didnt get a go on Space Mountain ( I already know when I go, there will be no Rock n Roller coaster for me). But apart from that, I'm glad you all had a great time.