WDW: Hollywood Studios - Luxo Jr. Confirmed

Started by The Deadman, June 03, 2009, 02:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Deadman

Park News - (6/2/09) Disney has confirmed to the Orlando Sentinel that a 6 foot tall animated Luxo Jr. figure will soon appear at the park across from the Toy Story Mania attraction

lil-shawn

Luxo Jr. Premiered at Disney Hollywood Studios. found on Disney and more.

QuoteLuxo Jr, the famous Pixar mascott is the new WDI Audio-Animatronic "living character" and is now "live" at Disney Hollywood studios!

Luxo Jr premiered today at Pixar place and the animatronic lamp have two different shows. During day time Luxo Jr come out and dance on different Pixar tunes - including You have a friend in me - and on night time Luxo Jr lights up Pixar place.

After WALL-E and Remy the rat from Ratatouille, this is the third Pixar living character designed by WDI imagineers.
[youtube:17v0w9zi]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEmdCeGv2JM[/youtube:17v0w9zi]

dagobert

Wow, it looks great. A very nice addition to the park. Hopefully WDS will get a Pixar Place with Luxo Jr., too.

The Butlin Boy

He's fascinating isn't he; absolutely mesmerising to watch. They've actually managed to perfectly re-create the characteristics of the lamp from the short, the way he moves, hops, turns, dances and shakes his head are brilliant. The routines are fantastic too, a little dance sequence every 15 minutes through the day, and then a special light show at night, featuring fibre-optics in the trees around as well! So simple, so effective, so Disney :mrgreen:  =D>

Hey Imagineering, there's another little Disney Studio park I know, which also has it's own little Pixar area... :wink:

CentralPlazaPerson

What about big luxo?  :-k

The Butlin Boy

And just when you thought it couldn't get any better... The Night-time Show!

[youtube:7zbq08h4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z42rckoJFg4[/youtube:7zbq08h4]

Seriously falling in love with this thing now! :P  :lol:

CentralPlazaPerson

I'm very impressed with it and I'm starting to love it, but it doesn't seem the attract much people. All I see is a man and a woman in most of it unless there is crowds behind the camera?
Aw well just another outstanding piece of work by Disney =D>

Willow

I also read that there will be a Christmas version as well. It will be one of those things which are very easy to add new shows, eventually there could be lots of shows to add a bit of variety, instead of the same show every 15 minutes.

A good bit of 'plussing'.

CentralPlazaPerson

Quote from: "Willow"I also read that there will be a Christmas version as well. It will be one of those things which are very easy to add new shows, eventually there could be lots of shows to add a bit of variety, instead of the same show every 15 minutes.

A good bit of 'plussing'.

Christmas version ehhh? What about a Halloween version. Luxo JR pops up and "scares" everyone but know one finds it scary so he gets all embarrassed as he does :lol:

dagobert

The nighttime show is even better!! Wow, I'm very impressed. I really, really hope that Luxo Jr. will come to Paris!!

The Butlin Boy

There is also a night time version of the day time show, featuring some very impressive lighting techniques :P

[youtube:3mrk6e8x]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZu8fCB4Tm4&e[/youtube:3mrk6e8x]

CafeFantasia

It's very impressive, isn't it.

Disney really ought to scrap the Toon Studios idea in Paris and turn the whole area into Pixar Place. Add more brick buildings, more San Francisco themeing, Toy Story Mania and finally Luxo Jr. I can just imagine seeing this entrance as you turn right out of Studio One, with Crush's Coaster at the end of that street. Obviously it'd have to be more spaced out in Paris, but this'd be a cool direction to go in:

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Alan"It's very impressive, isn't it.

Disney really ought to scrap the Toon Studios idea in Paris and turn the whole area into Pixar Place. Add more brick buildings, more San Francisco themeing, Toy Story Mania and finally Luxo Jr. I can just imagine seeing this entrance as you turn right out of Studio One, with Crush's Coaster at the end of that street. Obviously it'd have to be more spaced out in Paris, but this'd be a cool direction to go in:

I completely agree with this idea Alan, and I've had some ideas like this in mind for a long time. Perhaps I'll get them posted in Imagineering at some point :)

CentralPlazaPerson

Couldn't agree more alan :). You could keep toon studios but only with Animagique, AoI, Carpets, and more meet and greet areas. That would do nicely.

Willow

• Luxo Jr. cost $3 million and its the first fully electronic animatronic, instead of hydraulics and pneumatics
  • Originally it was only planned to be a small addition on the Pixar sign (pictured above) but evolved into this Luxo Jr. we see today.
  • Luxo Jr. was meant to premiere last summer, but delays have forced it to only just open.

I saw a great idea on the internet the other day above having the birds out of the "For the Birds" short around Pixar Place as well.
I'd love to see loads of characters coming to life every few minutes.