WDS Expansion ideas

Started by peep, April 27, 2009, 10:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peep

I took the pic where Kristof highlighted the area on a google maps image of where the park can expand and added a rough layout of how I feel it could develop. It's a little bit of a mess (I lost a sense of scale) but I'll try and explain my decisions etc.

Key:
Red - Hollywood Boulevard and expansions for the tram tour
White - New route for tram tour (goes in clockwise direction)
Green - Buildings for attractions
Dark blue - Water
Purple - Restaurant
Orange - Shop (I only put one in though)

First thing I'll discuss is the tram tour. This obviously needs a big change. The trams will now go round the course in a clockwise direction meaning you see Reign of Fire/London set first. As you then go through the new tunnel you exit and you stop at a new set but I couldn't think of what could go here yet. You then pass what was the Dinotopia set which will now be something new. You then do the other set (can't think of its name atm). You then enter the new Pirates of the Carribean set. The tram goes over the lake, stopping half way. You see the port set from the first film and on the other side you have the black pearl. You are amidst the action as the Black Pearl attacks the port, explosions etc occur. You then continue back to the station (which has been moved to the left of the Boulevard).

Hollywood Boulevard has been extended. The majority of the new section is made up of facades of buildings. On the left hand side is what appears to be a large bank. Inside is a new dark ride themed around movie bank robberies (1).

On the other side is the Indianna Jones dark ride (15), the outside is themed to a university. So you enter into Jone's academic world, first into a lecture room in which Professor Jones teaches you about an artefact. You then queue in the University hallway, at one point you walk past Prof. Jone's study where you can sometimes hear him discuss with someone about exploring some jungle for the artefact he mentioned in the lecture room. You then board a vehicle and you travel through a jungle, after a while you are chased by natives of the jungle, they throw spears etc towards the vehicle. After you lose them you enter a temple where you see the artefact, unfortunately you hear a rumble and the temple begins to shake and your vehicle speeds out back into the station.

Also on the Boulevard is a cinema (2) showing Muppet Vision or Flubber 3D (bring back Williams to film new scenes).

At the end of the boulevard we find a restaurant which could be the Brown Derby.

Attraction numbered 3 is a new attraction based on the film (and the up-coming sequel) Tron. The first part of the attraction is a walk-through which enters you into the characters neon-lighted World. You then enter a large simulator room for the famous race sequence. Guests are in 2 seater simulator, the room has a large amount of them.

Next to the Tron attraction is a lake for a performance like Fantasmic.

On the other side of the lake is a dark ride based on Westerns (5) but I'm not sure what sort of ride yet.

The next attraction is Soarin' over Europe (6).

Attraction 7 is a dark ride based on the new film, Prince of Persia.

Attractions 8 and 9 are behind the scene type attractions similar to the Art of Disney Animation.

Next in attraction 10 is Incredibles 4D (sorry, I did take this idea from that other topic, but it's such an awesome idea I had to include it).

Attraction 11 is a dark ride based on the all time classic Hocus Pocus. I'm not too sure what sort of ride this could be either but Hocus Pocus is awesome and it needs some form of ride based off it.

Attraction 12 is an E-ticket type rollercoaster but I'm not sure what it could be.

13 is the Indianna Jones stunt show.

Not sure what 14 could be.

I also think Hollywood Boulevard should have a show outside some of the buildings like cinefolies but with a stunt or two in there.

Let me know what you think, add some of your own ideas etc.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

lil-shawn

i don´t know if i like this idea or hate it its something between, for me the
whole thing is structurless and has no themening at all.
its just one attraction to another, and i think the wds should not go a way like this,
right now for me the whole wds is structurless and they really need to
rethink the whole park.
don´t get me wrong, maybe you should rethink your idea and bring in some structure
and a good themening...

i will come up with my idea when i have enough time!

peep

The thing is, it is meant to be a Studios park.

That's the Disney Studios in California. The problem is with thinking about an expansion for a Studios park is new themes. There isn't exactly a lot of choice about theme so it just ends up being random. You could put the Indy attractions with Prince of Persia and call it an Adventure area or something but still, it's a Studio park and it still doesn't really work. You can also look at the Florida park and see that most of it is just random attractions but on the exterior they are themed to fit, same with the Universal parks. The same would happen in the plan I posted, random attractions made workable by the exteriors.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

The Butlin Boy

I love your ideas peep, very well thought of. Well done =D>

Reading through your ideas gave me one of my own. If they extended the Hollywood Boulevard, they'd have to go through the Tram Tour right? So the first point would be to move the station to the left of the boulevard, into a building (part of the boulevard, behind TOT?) which features an interactive and interesting queue. I'd then keep what you have done by making it go anti-clockwise. Keeping with the Reign of Fire set and theme, after the current fire scene has gone off, the trams then descend into a London Underground (which would go under the Boulevard). This could include some sort of special effects show either based on Reign of Fire or something else entirely. The rest of the attraction would continue like yours, but the exit station would be somewhere next to or behind Toon Studio, and you'd exit through some small exhibit (showcasing new and upcoming films?). The unloaded trams would then go back under the boulevard and back into the station. This should in effect help the loading/unloading process, and make the exit a bit more interesting :)

lil-shawn

QuoteThat's the Disney Studios in California. The problem is with thinking about an expansion for a Studios park is new themes. There isn't exactly a lot of choice about theme so it just ends up being random. You could put the Indy attractions with Prince of Persia and call it an Adventure area or something but still, it's a Studio park and it still doesn't really work. You can also look at the Florida park and see that most of it is just random attractions but on the exterior they are themed to fit, same with the Universal parks. The same would happen in the plan I posted, random attractions made workable by the exteriors.

i know that it is a studio park, i just tryed to say that in your idea it is just one
atrraction to another, when i look to universal or DHS there is more space between them,
and also they have different areas. i think in a studio park is a lot of pontential.
i was not talking about the attractions to be random, some of your ideas are really cool.

Ice101

Some of the ideas are good but some are meh.  

Since it is a studio park they need to go full out and not have a lake for Fantasmic!  It needs its own ampitheater.  It only works on Rivers of America because of its shape and how it sections off view points.  Here, there would be very little room for barges to move and everything it too exposed.  In my opinion, they need to go with a form of Disney's California Adventure's World of Color in parade.  Actually a street show.  Think Light Magic without the creepy fairies and a better use of the screens.  

I don't think there should be any sort of Indiana Jones attraction here because you already have an Indy roller coaster across the way the Disneyland Paris.  Why have two, no three attractions as you have shown here with the same theme?

As far as Soarin Over Europe goes, you have to explain this more to me because I just don't see it being thematically correct.  Where is the movie connection?

Some of the ride ideas seem to be too old to work.  Hocus Pocus and Flubber being the main ones.  Both are great movies but the current generations probably have never heard about them.  Why not go with something that is a true classic like Marry Poppins?

Don't jump the gun, for all you know Prince of Persia is the most craptastic movie Disney ever created.

The Tron ride sounds like a capacity nightmare.  2 seaters?  That would be terrible for capacity.

I do like a few of the ideas but some neeed a little work.  :)