TDR | Toy Story Mania! (2012)

Started by dagobert, May 07, 2009, 06:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

There are two new attractions coming to Tokyo Disney Resort. The first will be a walkthrough attraction in Cinderella's Castle and the second one will be Toy Story Mania at Tokyo DisneySea.

The attraction will be located in what is currently a backstage area, to the left of Hotel Hightower (Tower of Terror).

OLC press release:
http://www.olc.co.jp/en/news_parts/20090507_02e.pdf

The Butlin Boy

Thanks for the link dagobert. I had heard rumours about this, and now we know it's true. Makes the rumours of TSM in Paris even stronger too I suppose; I just hope that it won't be instead of Ratatouille [-o<

RnRCj

Why couldn't they just have "Midway Mania" - with no Toy Story thrown on the end? :(  Plastic toys and boardwalk games don't go together. It makes no sense at all.

I've got no problem with the boardwalk theme that will be introduced as it's actually somewhat appropriate for the area. It's just the toons that are screwing it all up. :(

Anthony

Quote from: "dagobert"OLC press release:
http://www.olc.co.jp/en/news_parts/20090507_02e.pdf
Thank you dagobert and thank you OLC - this is exactly how it should be done. They've not even opened their next two attractions and they're opening two more!

Am I doing something wrong, is the exchange rate a bit screwy, or does 1.5bn Yen current work out at around €11m for Midway Mania? I'm guessing it's cheaper to build in Japan than France anyway, but that seems seriously cheap in Disney terms.

Also, they specifically state "New York area" of American Waterfront, so that's not the Old Cape Cod area then.

id@53

Quote from: "Anthony"Am I doing something wrong, is the exchange rate a bit screwy, or does 1.5bn Yen current work out at around €11m for Midway Mania?
Is it not 11.5bn Yen which would equate to €86.65m?
\'A fine bunch of water lilies you turned out to be. I\'d like to see anybody make me wash, if I didn\'t wanna.\' ...... \'Next thing you know, she\'ll be tyin\' your beards up in pink ribbons and smellin\' ya up with that stuff called, uh..."perfoom".\'

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Anthony"Thank you dagobert and thank you OLC - this is exactly how it should be done. They've not even opened their next two attractions and they're opening two more!

You've raised a very good point here Ant; Tokyo have already announced their 2011 and 2012 attractions, and Paris haven't even announced TSPL, which will probably open within a year :-k Take note DLP :wink:

Quote from: "RnRCj"Why couldn't they just have "Midway Mania" - with no Toy Story thrown on the end? :(  Plastic toys and boardwalk games don't go together. It makes no sense at all.

I've got no problem with the boardwalk theme that will be introduced as it's actually somewhat appropriate for the area. It's just the toons that are screwing it all up. :(

It's called a gimmick, shoe-horning Toy Story into it will make it easier to make the attraction appeal to children and families :roll: But I agree, perhaps a new theme would have been a better choice :wink:

dagobert

So maybe Toy Story Mania will make its way to DLRP too. Hopefully it will get built in the Studios and not in Frontierland.

When OLC wants this attraction I think it must be a good one. Unfortunately it wasn't ready at Disney's Hollywood Studios in January 2008, so we couldn't ride it.

I think it would be an improvement for WDS.

Willow

Looking at the Concept art. (Found here.)

The ballroom scene for the castle attraction looks good. Not my kind of attraction so I have no excitement for it.

The art for Toy Story Mania looks great. Looks very much like an American Carnival.
Its in the New York area of American Waterfront so will look very much apart of the area.
Of course, its probably going to be the best Toy Story Mania yet!

CafeFantasia

It's a shame DLP can't drop a Mickey's Philharmagic into either Fantasyland or Animation Courtyard, the same year (2011) as Tokyo Disney.

Mickey's Philharmagic would probably fit into that green space opposite the Mad Hatter's Tea Party, where the Beauty and the Beast show was supposed to go in 1994.

RnRCj

The concept art does look quite good (apart from the Woody face in the back :?). As usual it'll probably be much more detailed than any other TSM attraction. Is there an exact location for it? I'd guess to the left of ToT.

Quote from: "dagobert"When OLC wants this attraction I think it must be a good one.
I think you may be wrong here - Disney want the attraction, the OLC have to agree to it so as not to risk "falling out" with Disney. I expect the OLC didn't have much say at all on whether the attraction will get built.

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Willow"Looking at the Concept art. (Found here.)

They've released concept art too! :shock:

I think both projects look fantastic at the minute, except perhaps the giant Woody face entrance which looks like an improved version of the entrance to The Simpsons Ride at Universal Studios :roll:

I'm just astounded that they've already announced and even released concept art for all four of their new attractions up to 2012 (I know DCA have, but that's a little bit different :wink: ). DLP really should take note of this :)

Anthony

Looks like a miniature Coney Island! Very nice way to slot it in. I guess this means it'll be more like the DCA version without the supermarket creche queueline of Florida's.

Where exactly will it go within American Waterfront, anyone know?

Quote from: "Alan"Mickey's Philharmagic would probably fit into that green space opposite the Mad Hatter's Tea Party, where the Beauty and the Beast show was supposed to go in 1994.
It'd also fit really neatly into the Art of Disney Animation building, but i believe there's a more real possibility of it joining The Little Mermaid behind Fantasyland railroad station at some distant point in the future, when we'll probably have 3D on TV at home anyway.

Quote from: "RnRCj"I think you may be wrong here - Disney want the attraction, the OLC have to agree to it so as not to risk "falling out" with Disney. I expect the OLC didn't have much say at all on whether the attraction will get built.
Disney might be keen for TSM to be everywhere, but OLC own the resort, I think they will have had a say.

Also, interesting that the attraction is titled Toy Story Mania on the concept art. The battle continues!

RnRCj

Disney would have said - "We want Toy Story Mania at Tokyo DisneySea!"

The OLC would have replied - "Fine, but make sure it's the best it can possibly be."

The OLC can't just say "no, we don't want this attraction", surely? :lol: Disney wouldn't be at all happy with that.

The concept art does look fantastic though, and besides the Toy Story element the theme of the attraction is somewhat appropriate for American Waterfront. It'll probably be [strike:3roqd0gg]buzz[/strike:3roqd0gg] lightyears ahead of all the other TSM's, since the OLC are involved. :lol:

Agent Lex

Quote from: "RnRCj"Disney would have said - "We want Toy Story Mania at Tokyo DisneySea!"

The OLC would have replied - "Fine, but make sure it's the best it can possibly be."

The OLC can't just say "no, we don't want this attraction", surely? :lol: Disney wouldn't be at all happy with that.
I'm pretty sure that's how it goes. Don't forget, although OLC own the park, Disney still license it to them and can take that away at any time, I'm guessing.

QuoteThe concept art does look fantastic though, and besides the Toy Story element the theme of the attraction is somewhat appropriate for American Waterfront. It'll probably be [strike:25u91dsi]buzz[/strike:25u91dsi] lightyears ahead of all the other TSM's, since the OLC are involved. :lol:
Agreed, completely. For once, I think the toon element is very much out of place and it could do well without that. But again, Disney probably had a say in that.

experiment627

Quote from: "Agent Lex"Agreed, completely. For once, I think the toon element is very much out of place and it could do well without that. But again, Disney probably had a say in that.

It really surprises me how nobody sees fault with the Oriental Land Company when it comes to Toon-attractions. It must be Disney that pushed for toons in American Waterfront!

Just as much as it must have been Disney that pushed for Crush in American Waterfront. Or Stitch in the Tiki Room. Or Monsters Inc. in Tomorrowland.

God forbid that OLC could do wrong!

Face it folks: Toons sell. And OLC knows it just as well as the Walt Disney Company does.