Disney Blockbuster Café

Started by Kristof, April 24, 2009, 11:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlrpkris

To me the 'Pirates' belong in Disneyland Park. There's a ride of a same name as the movies there and the landscape suits it. Unless it's a celebration of the high-tech wizardry and effects used in the films, the theming of 'Pirates' should all be kept together. Just the same principle if they suddenly do a princess theme in the studios because it is a more recent release...
"Life\'s a happy game, you could clown around forever - \'cos we\'re the best of friends"
It\'s time to bring down the house - welcome Mickey Mouse!

Anthony

In person... it's awful. Worse than it looks in pictures. Because we sit at home, looking at the individual photos saying "oh, that's new!", but add those together and it's just not enough when you walk in there.

Bare, soulless, cheap, poorly thought-out. I don't think it's just been the great weather meaning most people are eating outside. They really didn't understand what they taking on trying to re-"theme" a whole restaurant like this. It's a complete embarrassment.

And no-one has even mentioned or noticed the horrible cheap laminate floor laid over the original concrete in the High School section...! Who wants to eat in a bloody school sports hall when they're in a Disney park? That's like my idea of a nightmare. Not to mention it's going to be a sea of those yellow "Slippery floor" signs come Autumn...

Take note Euro Disney SCA: This is what happens when you think you don't need WDI!

pussinboots

Quote from: "Anthony"Who wants to eat in a bloody school sports hall when they're in a Disney park? That's like my idea of a nightmare.

Hear hear.

Kristof

QuoteTake note Euro Disney SCA: This is what happens when you think you don't need WDI!

Sadly, these projects by EDLI have to be approved by WDI Glendale.  :roll:

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Kristof"
QuoteTake note Euro Disney SCA: This is what happens when you think you don't need WDI!

Yep, Disney is a shell of the company I fell in love with
since 2001 (many before that)

andrewuk

I have never known the studios to be as busy as they were last week, but this restaurant was nearly empty when RNRC had a 70min line. I thought the Pirates bit was ok, and the wheel is a nice photo point, but there is no atmosphere in there at all.
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

davewasbaloo

Yet more evidence that you can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig. I suspect it is still the key issue with the menu and style of restaurant here. You would think will all the attractions in the this area that are not kid friendly, it would be busy with those waiting for babyswitch
since 2001 (many before that)

Anthony

Quote from: "Kristof"

You're kidding, right?

Surely they must have submitted a completely different plan to what has actually happened. What's the point in WDI greenlighting things if they accept stuff like this? Removing ALL their thousands of props and set dressing for a few HSM banners and a generic pirate wheel?

Which, by the way, was covered in kids climbing all over it last week... :roll:

Alpop

I'm not just bad mouthing the update for the sake of it, but come on.....

Let me digress back to WDS is supposed to be a working studio! Tarmac paving was there to suggest industry. Large sound stages with "sets". The Backlot express had that props department, messy closet feel. with lots and LOTS to look at. (Hidden Mickey in paint marks on the floor).
So how does this fit in to the original spiel?
Maybe if..... Naghh!

RnRCj

Yep, I must say, this does look even worse when you're actually there. It seemed a lot barer than it looks in photos. There was hardly anyone inside either over the last few days.

Silvie78

Quote from: "RnRCj"Yep, I must say, this does look even worse when you're actually there. It seemed a lot barer than it looks in photos. There was hardly anyone inside either over the last few days.

That's true. We had a look inside at wednesday and just took a few photos. I didn't want to eat there. There's no atmosphere. :roll:
Liebe Grüße, Silvie

experiment627

Quote from: "Silvie78"
Quote from: "RnRCj"Yep, I must say, this does look even worse when you're actually there. It seemed a lot barer than it looks in photos. There was hardly anyone inside either over the last few days.

That's true. We had a look inside at wednesday and just took a few photos. I didn't want to eat there. There's no atmosphere. :roll:

I wonder: what happens should revenues at this restaurant be lower now than before the "re-theming" ...?

mehdi5

Quote from: "experiment627"
Quote from: "Silvie78"

I wonder: what happens should revenues at this restaurant be lower now than before the "re-theming" ...?
I think to the general audience, who don't come there that often won't really have an impact on it, a lot of people who only go once or twice tend to pay less attention to detail while eating than the fans that come more often, in my theory.

Timbo

I don't like the look of this at all !! :( It was just ok before ,although as said it always seems cold in there.But now the POTC area looks like a cross between a poor mans Blue Lagoon and a lot of torn sheets hanging  on a washing line ;don't get me started on the HSM section ,a few posters and some basket balls !!
They really need to add a great diner to the Studios , there are so many interesting places to eat in the Park , but nothing here ! We need to start a campaign for a Sci-Fi Dine In, it would be packed every day !!!

Kristof

Some costumes were placed in the showcase in the smaller HSM themed room, but they didn't look like they were from the movies.  Probably a creation by the costuming department...  :roll:

And I agree with everyone else who has been to the restaurant personally and disliked it.  It completely misses the point (and guests).