Disney Blockbuster Café

Started by Kristof, April 24, 2009, 11:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

Yep, we have been on this trajectory for a while, and others have called me crazy, or indeed have been quite mean to me about stating my concerns. It is not just about my personal tastes. I think in the medium and long term, this could really hurt Disney.
since 2001 (many before that)

Anthony

The long set of graphics on the back wall looks like it's from the films, not sure about the banner.

I'm still hoping this re-do includes more than things we could just go down to the printers and have made up ourselves...

And again, nice that guests are left to assume the sign outside fell off and Disney don't care, rather than put up a few signs saying "we're preparing some new magic here... but the restaurant is still open" or something.

ed-uk

Was the Backlot Express popular?
Whenever we went in there it was half empty at best. So although I liked the themeing inside did it really catch on?  Maybe that's why Disney want to make a few changes?

Since High School Musical and Pirates have been very popular, are Disney wrong to feature them in their theme parks ?
Ed & David

Aveen2008

Wow I didn't see that coming!! :shock:  I agree with Anthony that I hope we see more than just some pictures here- if they are going to re-theme it they really should go all the way! I can see why they are doing this to the Backlot Express as I don't think it ever was a massive pull as it was, in fact I think it was always pretty hard to see that it was a restraunt at all. By the way I don't like HSM so that's not why I can see some small positives in changing it.

I can see what Daveswasbaloo and Alan are saying that they are focusing much more on theming than transporting you to a different world etc.
Luv Aveen xoxo

Anthony

New photos from the latest Photos Magiques trip report:

Oh yay, posters. So my comment about popping down the printers still stands.

But that said, the High School Musical "theme" does naturally fit this space very well. It feels reasonably close to the films, and will hopefully get better once they introduce a bit of yellow (in those banners lying on the floor above). Some props of some kind - even just a few cheap basketballs bought from Auchan Val d'Europe - wouldn't go amiss, though the bigger test will be the POTC area...

Willow

I think it looks pretty good, and I'm far from a High School Musical fan! Its bright and colourful.

Like you said Anthony, the bigger challenge will definitely be the Pirates zone. Much more difficult to pull off than some white paint and some banners.

CentralPlazaPerson

To be honest I don't think this pirate restaurant is a good idea! I'm only starting to realize this now. Why not make one big cafe and call it Disney Channel Cafe or something and have all the programmes and original movies as the theming. Have your high school musicals, your Hannah Montana's and your Jonas Brothers etc. I think this would attract a bigger crowd than blockbuster cafe but that's my opinion.

*TIMMIE*

I really don't like this. It should be a props filled restaurant. Actual props from recent movies would be a good addition. Even if that means HSM or POTC. But this seem far from that idea. So, no thanks you. To me this is throwing away the whole concept of this restaurant.

Kristof

Real movie props will be added the last minute.  The backstory of Blockbuster Café will remain a storage facility for movie props.

Edit: screenshot from the movie, the images all the way in the back look like the ones above the buffet:

peep

Have they done much to the Pirates section yet? Nice to see a lot being done though but I'm really going to miss the mass amount of props hanging around everywhere.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Kristof

Quote from: "peep"Have they done much to the Pirates section yet? Nice to see a lot being done though but I'm really going to miss the mass amount of props hanging around everywhere.

No, nothing new has happened there.

Anthony

Quote from: "Kristof"
Bringing over at least one or two of those tables would be cool.

Not really keen on the full title being Disney Blockbuster Café. Sounds forced.

bigrossco

so far its looking more of a High School Musical Café than anything else...
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

Kristof

I'm surprised they didn't write Wildcat's or something similar....

CafeFantasia

They might as well just leave out the Pirates bit, and go all the way with a High School MusiCafe or High School Musical Canteen.