Disney announce Toy Story Mania for the Wii!

Started by The Butlin Boy, March 29, 2009, 01:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butlin Boy

"It's a ride that's a game; it a game that's a ride!"

Disney have announced that they will be releasing the Toy Story Mania, the new attraction from both WDW and DCA on the Nintendo Wii at the end of this year.

QuoteDISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS ANNOUNCES TOY STORY MANIA!, INSPIRED BY THE DISNEY/PIXAR FEATURE FILM "TOY STORY" EXCLUSIVELY FOR Wii

Beloved "Toy Story" Characters and Theme Park Attraction Provide Backdrop for Family-Friendly Carnival-Style Video Game

BURBANK, Calif., (March 24, 2009) Disney Interactive Studios today announced Toy Story Mania!, inspired by the Disney/Pixar animated feature "Toy Story," will be released exclusively for the Wii home video game console this fall. Toy Story Mania! showcases an array of entertaining games based on the new Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort attractions, while featuring the iconic characters and humor from the popular Disney/Pixar "Toy Story" franchise.

"The 'Toy Story' franchise is a fun, dynamic and heart-warming series containing characters and themes that connect with every age group," said Craig Relyea, senior vice president of global marketing, Disney Interactive Studios. "Toy Story Mania! combines those popular elements with the unique antics of the new theme park attraction for the ultimate in family entertainment."

In Toy Story Mania!, players experience the fast-paced, zany fun of the Toy Story Mania! theme park attraction, which is an interactive experience requiring 3D glasses and involving rapid or quick-firing shooting galleries. In addition to galleries adapted from the attraction, the game includes new and original galleries and a series of mini games, all hosted by beloved characters from the movies. The thematically-connected levels are designed for up to four players of all ages with competitive and co-operative multiplayer options. Toy Story Mania! also includes bonus 3D features, transforming the game experience with eye-popping visuals.

The Pixar-created "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" have both had successful box office and DVD sales. The Disney Digital 3Dâ„¢ theatrical re-release of "Toy Story" is in the works and will open in theatres on October 2, 2009, followed by the 3D re-release of "Toy Story 2" opening on February 12, 2010, leading up to the premiere of "Toy Story 3" in 3D summer 2010. Toy Story Mania! is the first video game to place characters from these films into a carnival game setting and is expected to resonate with fans of the films and the attraction, as well as gamers who like pick-up-and-play party games

Developed by Papaya Studio, Toy Story Mania! will be available this fall exclusively for Wii.

IGN Screenshots:

It seems like a logical move, and it does sound cool that it'll be in 3D too, however I can't help but worry that it'll take away from the uniqueness of the attraction, after all why queue an hour to ride something, when you can play a watered down version at home? :roll:

Captain Pan

Where's my Wii... where's the Game... Pan going to start practising... just need to find games suitable... (Time Crisis Anyone?)

Basically its going to be everything Nintendo have created through WiiPlay and Link's Crossbow Training... and then Capcom brought back with Resident Evil and House of the Dead...

its a format that works for the Wii... and works well in my experience of shipping them off the shelves...

As you can expect from Captain Pixar... I can't wait... Bring on Christmas!

CentralPlazaPerson

sounds good sadly I don't have a Wii :cry: but......I do have PS3 :D/  :D/

-breeno-

Seems like a good idea, as Pan already said it's a type of game that the Wii is made for and wouldn't work well on the other two next-gen consoles.

I'm looking forward to reading IGNs review of when it's released, as i don't have a wii to play it :P
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Captain Pan

Quote from: "-breeno-"Seems like a good idea, as Pan already said it's a type of game that the Wii is made for and wouldn't work well on the other two next-gen consoles.

I'm looking forward to reading IGNs review of when it's released, as i don't have a wii to play it :P

Time Crisis Breeno! Time Crisis works on the PS3 so it could work on the PS3... just need to shake Disney until they do it...

I am surprised however how its not being converted for the DS... or the DSi it would work there too!

luke85

What a cool idea! I think it will be a huge success, I'd love to have a go, but I'd prefer to have a go on one of the actual attractions though ;)

luke85

Quote from: "Captain Pan"
Quote from: "-breeno-"Seems like a good idea, as Pan already said it's a type of game that the Wii is made for and wouldn't work well on the other two next-gen consoles.

Time Crisis Breeno! Time Crisis works on the PS3 so it could work on the PS3... just need to shake Disney until they do it...

I am surprised however how its not being converted for the DS... or the DSi it would work there too!

I'd love to see it come out for the DS!

never2old

Not sure whether this should be posted on a separate topic, but there's a Toy Story Mania app for the iPhone!

I just got it this morning, I've only done a couple of games but so far I'm loving it!

There's an article about it in Disney and More here

Now I really can't wait for the Wii version to be released!!