Power Rangers: Over and Out!

Started by AmericanMouse, March 11, 2009, 04:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmericanMouse

The Power Rangers franchise, inheirited by Disney from the sale of FOX Family by Saban Entertainment in the early millenia, is now closed.  Disney said that the series will no longer be in production after 17 seasons in the USA.  Filming moved from Canada to New Zealand a few years ago.  Many ABC stations in the USA dropped the show for several reasons, especially during the college football and basketball seasons, they would rather carry syndicated telecasts of games, and in the off-seasons, used the time for local programming, E/I compliant shows or even local newscasts, as Power Rangers was not E/I.

What are your thoughts and/or memories?  Post them here.

peep

I used to love Power Rangers as a child but I soon grew out of it. I did have the toys, videos and watched it every Saturday morning so I was a big fan.

Does this mean that the program has halted production or is the whole franchise over? I couldn't see that happening with all the recent marketing in stores for the merchandise. Maybe they will just show repeats?
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

The Butlin Boy

It doesn't really bother me, I've never really watched Power Rangers, and I wasn't very thrilled about Disney buying them either :?

AmericanMouse

From what I understand Peep, they are not doing new episodes.

Pete's Dragon

Watched it briefly when it first started. But after about 3-4 episodes you quickly learnt where eack episode was headed.

something-something-kids
something-something-bad guy/monster
kids become Power Rangers, beat bad guy/monster.
bad guy/monster grows 100ft tall and invades scale model village.
Kids combine to big Power Ranger thingy.
Bad Guy/Monster beats them up, all seems lost.
Big Power Ranger thingy gets out big sword.
Bad Guy/Monster in no more.
Poor viewers mother forced to buy 5 different toys, so they can be combined into Big Power Ranger Thingy.
TV hacks catch on, and change the cast, resulting in screaming kid who wants 5 new Power Rangers.

That's pretty much all you'll ever need to know about the MMPR. 17 years !!! OMG. How did they get away with it for so long. Ah well.

'Bye-bye Power Rangers.....' :-"

Willow

Power Rangers USED to be good. As soon as they started all teh crazy spin-offs it went badly downhill.

The first movie was pretty good for the 90s but everything started to go bad after that.

Who was everyone's favourite Power Ranger then?  :lol:  Mine was the Green Dragon thing.

Captain Pan

Quote from: "Willow"Who was everyone's favourite Power Ranger then?  :lol:  Mine was the Green Dragon thing.

I'm guessing you mean Tommy... Who went on to become the White ranger... and have the White Tiger... then the Ninja Zord of the White Falcon

I liked Tommy too... mainly cause we share the same name...

although I did like Kimberly (The Original Pink Ranger) but that was for entirely other reasons...

Snow_White_Girl

I loved them as a kid.... Kimberley and Tommy were meant to be together though, I was slightly disappointed when they were never a couple! :lol:

\":lamp:\"

Captain Pan

Quote from: "Snow_White_Girl"I loved them as a kid.... Kimberley and Tommy were meant to be together though, I was slightly disappointed when they were never a couple! :lol:

Kimberly and Tommy's relationship was the relationship of the 1990s
 never mind Ross and Rachel from Friends, you couldn't move anywhere for that Will they? Won't they? yeah kick some backside in the process... have the awkward moment where he saves her life, and looks like thier going to kiss... and Nooo.... More badguys pop up and they have to get back to the butt kicking and ill timed and places pyros!

AmericanMouse

BUMP!

This slipped under our radars...

//http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100512/ap_on_en_tv/us_saban_power_rangers_3

Long story short: Hiam Saban buys back the Power Rangers from Disney, and is moving them to Viacom's Nickelodeon properties.

Owain

Quote from: "AmericanMouse"BUMP!

This slipped under our radars...

//http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100512/ap_on_en_tv/us_saban_power_rangers_3

Long story short: Hiam Saban buys back the Power Rangers from Disney, and is moving them to Viacom's Nickelodeon properties.

I did read this a week or two ago but forgot to post it.

It explains why all the power ranger merchandise is now on offer in the disney store  :roll:

AmericanMouse

Power Rangers officialy signed off ABC this past Saturday (8/28), and the network is giving back the 12 noon-1 PM (US ET/PT) slot to their affiliates to do as they please.