Official Topic | Disney Traditions

Started by Javey74, February 18, 2009, 10:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Javey74

Well I thought I would start a Disney Tradition thread for collectors of Jim Shores wonderful creations.  A thread that can be used by all Disney Tradition fans alike, sharing their purchases, thoughts and ideas.. :wink:  :D

Here are Jim Shores March 2009 releases, they'll probably arrive for retailers in the UK I guess around summer time, since we are normally 3 months behind the States..  :wink:  :D

New Garden Collection for 2009>>

Minnie's Secret Garden & Mickey's Green Thumb

Pluto: Pluto's Scavenger Hunt
Mickey Flower Pot   Mickey Birdhouse Mickey Windchime

Tinker Bell Flower Pot Planter

Tinker Bell's Gazing Ball

Tinker Bell Birdhouse Tinker Bell Windchime

Tinker Bell Birdbath Chip and Dale Garden Stakes

Tinker Bell: A Little Pixie Dust To Make Your Garden Grow

Extra Collection for March 2009>>

Beast Castle:  Enchanted Kingdome

Beast/Prince: A Beast Beneath A Spell

Lady And The Tramp: A Moonlit Romance

Mickey: Cheerful Celebration

Mickey Mouse: Sorcerer's Apprentice

The Butlin Boy

I really like the new outdoor range, it's something that I wouldn't expect to see in the Disney Traditions series, but it works well :)

Javey74

Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"I really like the new outdoor range, it's something that I wouldn't expect to see in the Disney Traditions series, but it works well :)
I totally agree Butlin Boy, I thought exactly the same with the garden range.. :o  To be honest I would of only expected releases like the 'Extra Collection' already shown.. :o  :)

For anyone interested in finding out more about Jim Shore and his commitment to Disney through his unique Disney Traditions, you may want to view the following>>

QuoteThe Man Himself: Jim Shore

The enormous popularity of award-winning artist Jim Shore is the result of a lifetime of dedication, inspiration and plain old hard work, and as with most successful people,some good fortune has played a part as well. As Jim puts it, "Art is something I've done all my life. It's what I've always loved and the only thing I ever wanted to do, but making a living as an artist isn't easy. There are thousands of very talented people out there that never get a chance to show what they can do. I've been lucky. Not only do I get to do what I love, I get to share it with people around the world. I've been given a tremendous gift and I thank God for it every day."

Jim Shore grew up in rural South Carolina, the son of artistic parents who instilled a love of the traditional values expressed in American folk art. His grandmother was a master quilter who taught him an appreciation for the patience and skill required to bring intricate designs to life. Jim drew inspiration from these roots. "There's an innocence and purity to the quilts, appliques and folk scenery found in the early days of our country. These were masterpieces that were designed not for commission, but because the artists were driven to create. I collect quilts dating back over 150 years and when I look at the level of skill and creativity I am continually amazed. This is high art from humble beginnings."

Initially Jim pursued his art when and where he could. He studied engineering and received a degree in business – not art. He supported his young family as an engineer, honing his skills as a sculptor and painter in his spare time. But his passion was always his art, and after several false starts founded his own company, Designs Americana, to market his sculpture. "We went to a show with some of my sculptures and planned to manufacture them if we received enough orders," Jim recalls, "We didn't have a factory, didn't really know what we were going to do. Luckily, we made the right contacts at the show and it all worked out." Within three years Designs Americana had over 350 employees and more orders than they could fill. In fact the demands of managing Designs Americana made it difficult for Jim to concentrate on his art. "I needed to focus exclusively on the creative and artistic side of my work, and that meant finding the right business partner to concentrate on the three piece suit side of the business." There was no better partner than Enesco, a worldwide leader in marketing gifts, collectibles and decorative accessories. In 2000 Jim joined forces with Enesco to create the Jim Shore line of seasonal and home accessories.

While working with Enesco Jim perfected his unique style, combining elements of folk art and a vibrant color pallet applied to traditional themes. To Jim, a Santa Claus isn't just a Santa Claus, it's a canvas to be painted. Taking designs from quilting, rosemalling, applique and flat perspective folk art, Jim creates an intricate and colorful work of art that reflects our shared cultural heritage yet is unmistakably Jim Shore. "I can't imagine myself ever tiring of this," Jim says of distinctive combination of themes and motifs, "I get to create two designs every time I develop a new piece – what the item will be and then what colors and patterns will go on it. The variety keeps me inspired."

The magic of Jim's design style is that it can be applied to a huge variety of themes and formats, creating a charming and innovative American country décor statement for the home. "My work is not a single statement, but a lot of elements mixed together. I use colors that I love – colonial, antiques, jewel tones and some unusual colors that I loved at the moment. Put together it's a pleasure to look at. It doesn't really matter what item it's on. It's just fun to look at—American Folk-Art."

Jim is now working to develop a more extensive lifestyle brand, creating functional home décor and fashion accessories using his unmistakable style. He will continue to solidify his position is the premier name in the speciality gift market through a selective licensing program designed to introduce innovative new products while maintaining high quality standards and exclusive distribution. The focus will be on exciting new formats that compliment the current brand offering from companies including Enesco, Department 56, Evergreen/Cypress and Manual Woodworkers and Weavers.

Jim has received multiple awards from the National Association of Limited Edition Dealers, the premier trade organization in the gift and collectible industry, including:

NALED Artist of the Year 2003, 2004 and 2005
NALED Rising Star 2002
NALED Christmas Collectible of the Year 2003 and 2005
NALED Christmas Décor of the Year 2004 and 2005

Javey74

Here's a DT purchase just made today.. :D

Minnie - Cutest Cowgirl On The Range

Javey74

:!:  :!:  :!:  News Alert  :!:  :!:  :!:

Anyone living near a retailer called 'Collectables', just to let you know, they are selling the following DT's at half price.  These DT's are now classed as end of range>>

Evil Queen - Hag - 2 sided
"Wicked"

Cinderella Clock Tower
"In Time All Fairy Tales Come True"

Sorcerer Mickey
"Magic is Everywhere"

Mickey Mouse [Occupations and Professions Range]
"Protect and Serve"

burntsienna

Oooo they're all so pretty!
I wish I could win the lottery and by myself them all ...and a car!  :lol:
"I could be the Alice to your Wonderland"

Aveen2008

Quote from: "burntsienna"Oooo they're all so pretty!
I wish I could win the lottery and by myself them all ...and a car!  :lol:

I totally agree!!
Luv Aveen xoxo

Captain Pan

Looking at these pictures and thinking about it I nearly bought the Armoire for Wendybird1 for Valentines, but then I also saw what looked to be the mice from Cinderella sat on a small box...

Looking at these pictures makes me want to start buying them... Especially the Mickey ones...

Javey74

Oooh, do I sense another Disney Traditions collector in the making from those comments Captain Pan.. :mrgreen:

Captain Pan

Quote from: "Javey74"Oooh, do I sense another Disney Traditions collector in the making from those comments Captain Pan.. :mrgreen:

Maybe.... Only time will tell... All depends on the prospect of me finding someone who needs a crazy person to work for them...

Just applied for a job in Thompsons Holidays, and for a Summer Playscheme... But thats for another topic

There's a small 'collectable'/'ornament' store in the local town centre, and I've seen quite a few I've wanted...

- The Evil Queen/Hag
- Jimminy Cricket
- The Armoire
- The Mice from Cinderella

Think there as even a Tinkerbell one I wanted to get...

Looking at the ones you've placed here... I know Need to have

- Mickey Mouse: Sorcerer's Apprentice
- Sorcerer Mickey "Magic is Everywhere"
- Beast/Prince: A Beast Beneath A Spell
-Beast Castle: Enchanted Kingdome
- Chip and Dale Garden Stakes (and I won't even put them in my garden)

As it is there's so much I need and want to buy from the Disneystore... and from the US for teaching practise... I might not ever get to use any type of wage for myself!

Javey74

Your hearts in the right place Captain Pan..  :wink:  You go for it..  :D/  :D/

Javey74

Jen's DT Cinderella Collection... So Far >>

Captain Pan

Quote from: "Javey74"

That's the one I nearly bought Wendybird1...
 Although when I saw it in the shop I could swear Jac and Gus were sat down... :-k

But then I was looking up at it as it was stored on top of a 9 ft Cabinet and my little 5'7" frame couldn't really see what exactly was happening.

Javey is it as I was told by the shop owner a Jewelry Box?

(I'm needing ideas for Wendybird1 and My Anniversary in May... And I've got nothing sorted... other than a trip to the Disneystore in Cardiff... although I'll probably end up spending most of the money on me instead of her)

Javey74

Yes Captain Pan, it's official known as a 'Trinket Box', titled 'Bosom Buddies'.  The lid does come off, picking it up with Jac and Gus as the handle. The inside has a pale blue suede lining.  Jen keeps all her good necklaces in hers.. :wink:  :D

Javey74

My DT Pinocchio Collection... So Far >>