Disney D23 Magazine & Fan Club

Started by roaldbergmann, January 06, 2009, 07:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

I just read somewhere that shipping to Canada is $50! :lol:

It looks like this is just the standard international shipping for disneyshopping.com, but you'd think they'd have put in a special rate for D23, considering it's just a magazine.

According to the people who've actually bought it, it's more like a volume-by-volume coffee table book than a magazine as such. I'm now hoping it'll be available to buy somewhere over here like Borders that stocks US editions of magazines... Or why not even at UK Disney Stores? If they've just finally recognised the collectors market again with Pin Trading, surely they'd love flogging a $15 magazine/book to us too.

Adam

Quote from: "Anthony"I'm now hoping it'll be available to buy somewhere over here like Borders that stocks US editions of magazines... Or why not even at UK Disney Stores? If they've just finally recognised the collectors market again with Pin Trading, surely they'd love flogging a $15 magazine/book to us too.

Has anyone emailed either D23 or Disney in the UK to ask what their plans are for UK and Europe?

DisneyAlba

Quote from: "Adam"
Quote from: "Anthony"I'm now hoping it'll be available to buy somewhere over here like Borders that stocks US editions of magazines... Or why not even at UK Disney Stores? If they've just finally recognised the collectors market again with Pin Trading, surely they'd love flogging a $15 magazine/book to us too.

Has anyone emailed either D23 or Disney in the UK to ask what their plans are for UK and Europe?

I've only sent an email about the shipping costs, and received an answer to confirm that the 57+ dollars is indeed the correct shipping amount for European orders.

The website only states continental US outlets for the magazine, such as US continental Disney Stores. So I'm pretty confident there are no plans to distribute it in Europe (on a sidenote: why the differentiation, "UK and Europe"? The UK is a part of Europe!!) except through shipped memberships.

Edit: This is what the website says about retail points:
QuoteIndividual issues retail for $15.95 and are exclusively available at all U.S. Barnes & Noble booksellers, Disneyshopping.com, all domestic Disney Stores, Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort. Back issues will be available at Disneyshopping.com.

Edit2: I hope the first buyers will receive their membership packages soon, and reveil to the next of us on the internet what the "surprise collectible gift" is. I think that will be the deciding factor for me, whether the shipping costs are worth it... (I'll receive money back from taxes, which I did not expect, so I'm temped to treat myself...)
You can take the girl out of Scotland, but you can't take Scotland out of the girl.

Hathaway Browne

I still can't fathom out why they're not catering to the International fans either. All it takes is an office in London or Paris.

And I seriously doubt the UK stores will stock the magazine. They're idea of "collectables" is pretty weak.

Pity as they'd probably get quite a few more UK/EU members signing up.
Marching along, we\'re Adventurers! Singing the Song of Adventurers!
Up or Down, North, South, East or West An Adventurers Life is Best!

Luigi

got today email conformation that they shipped my membership package. I guess it will take awhile before it arrives here in europe, but i'm already really excited.

DisneyAlba

The surprise collectible gift is known!

//http://www.thetravelears.com/2009/03/21/d23-charter-membership-giftheres-you-chance-to-see-it/

[spoiler:2h8cdbrp]And I'm thinking... D*mn it!! A litho?? I don't think it's particularly pretty, and wouldn't give up one of my current works of art at home to hang this on the wall. I was really hoping for a figurine of some sorts, to warrant the high shipping costs to Europe. But a flat gift like this doesn't warrant the costs by far, I think... :( *sigh* I hope I'll find another, cheaper way to get the magazine over... (P.S.: DisneyShopping lowered the shipping costs to Canada, in general, so I've read.)[/spoiler:2h8cdbrp]
You can take the girl out of Scotland, but you can't take Scotland out of the girl.

Luigi

[spoiler:ovxfzvyo]i think it doesn't look so bad, i would frame it and hang it on the wall for sure, especially because i have nothing similar so far.[/spoiler:ovxfzvyo]

Agent Lex

So apparently they announced a whole bunch of D23 events recently. And every last one of them is in the US. Seriously.

Worldwide indeed.

Malin

New details about Membership for 2010 has be revealed by D23.

QuoteBecoming a member of the fast-growing D23: The Official Community for Disney Fans just got easier, as D23 recently announced new tiered membership options.

D23 celebrates its first anniversary in March, having grown to encompass tens of thousands of members from more than 30 countries around the world.  To mark the occasion, the only official Disney fan community introduced two tiers of membership, Gold and Silver, for the 2010 calendar year.

"D23 Members are the most passionate, excited – and exciting – Disney fans in the world, and D23 wants to constantly change, grow and expand to meet their needs," said Steven Clark, head of D23.  

D23 Members in both the new Gold and Silver tiers will receive a membership card; a suitable-for-framing member certificate (for new members); opportunities to attend special D23 Member events throughout the year; access to exclusive, limited-edition merchandise and collectibles; and 2010 gift of "Disney Undiscovered: A 23-Month Calendar of Disney's Unrealized Masterpieces.

Disney Undiscovered" presents rare and never-before seen images from Disney theme-park, live-action and animation projects that were not completed, many of which have achieved legendary status among Disney fans. The calendar features art from never-built project like the Mineral King ski resort and Walt Disney's St. Louis Project; theme park lands such as Discovery Bay at Disneyland and the Switzerland pavilion at Epcot; and unproduced films including a watercolor from the original Little Mermaid that Walt had in early pre-production in the late 1930s.

In addition to all of these benefits of D23 membership, Gold members will receive a one-year subscription to Disney twenty-three, a stunning, oversized collectible quarterly publication that brings new perspective and insight into Disney's past, present and future.  

New in 2010, D23 Members will enjoy new discounts and offers. Members who show their valid D23 Membership card (with a photo ID) will receive a discount at many locations in the Downtown Disney® District at Disneyland and at ESPN Zone locations across the country.

Gold membership is $74.99 a year, and Silver membership is $34.99 a year.

Anyone wishing to renew outside the US will have to continue to face the steep shipping and handling charges, which are being qouted at about $57.99 last time I checked.

While the Magazines are of high standard and the Calender sure looks like a good keep sake, I really do question the price, especially for International Members who have to pay an absolutely stupid amount of money just for shipping, but will likely miss out on all the special events like the Studio tours. Someone made a good point over on another board about the Silver Membership, saying that if you won't be attending any of the events, your really only paying $34.99 for a Calender.

Anthony

Thanks a lot for the info. But like you say, still not great for us.

With Disney Stores rapidly turning into Mothercare, there's even less chance of them stocking the magazines (although it would surely be easy and incredibly profitable).

Anthony

It's a no from Disney Store UK.
QuoteDear Guest

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the D23 magazine.

Unfortunately, this item is not currently available through our Online Store and we do not have any immediate plans to release this in the item in the UK online store . However, we are constantly reviewing the products on offer and we do look to increase the product range on an ongoing basis. To keep up to date with all the latest products available on the Disney Store Website please visit our store at www.disneystore.co.uk

If we can be of any further assistance to you or you  have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Many Thanks

Malin

Talking of the Disney Shopping site, I'm currently trying to track down my D23 order and keep being directed from the US site over to the UK site. Is anyone else having trouble with this?

bensmum

Yes, it is so annoying as I want to buy things to ship to the US!

dagobert

I had also the problem that I was redirected to the UK site, but in the meantime the US site works again.

HildeKitten

I once heard a rumour that there would be a D23 convention like the one that they had in Anaheim would come to Paris summer 2010 but it was completely unsubstantiated.  It was just something flying around livejournal.  I did hope it was true for a couple of months but seeing no official statement what so ever has been made about I'm not counting on it anymore.

Frankly I'm refraining from D23 as it's so focussed on the US and just seems to be paying to be allowed to buy more stuff (most stuff I don't even like).
If it becomes properly European too then I might consider it.