It's Party Time... with Mickey and Friends (MMP)

Started by Kristof, November 24, 2008, 03:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OS73

I just got the new timesheet for dlrp for next week.
They are doing the Party time show with Mickey and friends five times a day.

I thought it was going to be like the Candleabration. A show at the end of the day. I always liked that a day full of magic was closed with one final show. (one last goodbye)

I'm wondering if they are going to do this five times a day for the whole year now?
Watch my Disney videos at: //http://www.youtube.com/disneymagique

Magicalmouse125

5 times a day, i agree it would have been better if it was like the finally to the day.

I think that that is exactly what they've done with stars n cars at the stuidos.
[size=150]Long Live MagicForum![/size]

Love From Magical Mouse 125

luke85

Quote from: "Magicalmouse125"5 times a day, i agree it would have been better if it was like the finally to the day.

I think that that is exactly what they've done with stars n cars at the stuidos.

Totally agree, 5 times a day seems like they might over-do it a bit?

Riebi

I was thining the same. They took this big show at central plaza to have the biggest chance to "handle the people". And then the start it 5 times a day. Who should watch this show that often?
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

zanderstarz

well i do have one reason for them doing 5 shows a day...the dancers on the show (as well as the discoveryland stitch show) are externally employed and you cant just employ dancers to do just one show a day...what would they do for the rest of the day??
~ just like we dreamed it ~

15MagicalYears

So the dancers in DLRP are not DLRP dancers?  :?

Magicalmouse125

Quote from: "zanderstarz"well i do have one reason for them doing 5 shows a day...the dancers on the show (as well as the discoveryland stitch show) are externally employed and you cant just employ dancers to do just one show a day...what would they do for the rest of the day??

Don't DLRP employ dancers? If not Why?

casschr05

Quote from: "zanderstarz"well i do have one reason for them doing 5 shows a day...the dancers on the show (as well as the discoveryland stitch show) are externally employed...

I always thought that the dancers were employed by DLRP :?
does any one know the reasons behind why they aren't?

To be honest fair point (about the 5 shows a day) but a lot of shows I have seen (not nessercarily at DLRP) only have 1 show a day and that doesn't cause a problem.

Quote from: "zanderstarz"what would they do for the rest of the day??
extra rehearsal, different duties (e.g. parade help), perhaps getting some shopping done :lol: ?

In all honesty I do think that DLRP are risking having 5 shows a day in central plaza however it is likely to draw a crowd for every performance think about Mary Poppins etc
BUT I would of prefered to say goodbye to the park with a show (e.g. candleabration) but in the summer season I presume we will have the Enchanted Fireworks and fantilusion parade.

Willow

The last show I experienced which was performed multiple times a day at Central Plaza was the Halloween Villains Showtime.

The first showing was at park opening and a few people stopped for 5 minutes before moving on, very few stayed for the whole show.

The crowd sizes compared with Candlebration on the same day were tiny. I understand from a financial point of view that they are doing these multiple performances but they have just spent a lot of money on a new stage and they won't be getting the crowds for it to be used effectively.

Anthony

I've ended up really warming to this show. Give it a sunny day, stand back a bit and it's really impressive when it all miraculously comes to live on stage. The music really is fantastic, especially the full orchestra-style version of Magical Party Time. Mickey's arrival, the streamers sequence and all the exploding streamers at the end are bordering on spectacular and actually a massive improvement on Candleabration. It's colourful and modern, but the soundtrack is jazzy enough to make it feel very classic and timeless.

It loses its flow a bit when we're invited to scratch people's backs (seriously Baloo, that's  a rubbish party game, they shouldn't be so kind), but there are some fun moments in the middle section, especially the circular mexican wave around the plaza with Goofy running around.

Really well produced, very very differnent to Dance Time and Stars 'n' Cars.

Bad points: (sorry)

- There's just a little too much smoke when Mickey appears. It's hard to see him appear if there's no wind, and if there is, half the audience is choked.

- By the time we're invited to disco dance to Peter Pan doing the moves to Staying Alive, most people have had enough "party games", thanks. It would have been enough to leave it at people doing fun "flying" movements with their arms, no need to go 1970s on us.

- Why did they spend all this money on redoing Central Plaza only to leave those 8 lampposts in the middle? There's no need for them this year, since no one will be walking there. In most places, they completely block the characters on the middle stage.

- Playing the dance remix as after-show music is horrible, considering the wonderful music that has come before. They also ramp the bass up way to much, so it becomes a horrible booming mess and everyone clears the scene as soon as possible.

- Finally, having a big show like this at the main axis of the park isn't a good idea for people who do actually want to stand and watch it... or film it. Since lots of people are still trying to walk through the area, you have to spend the whole show avoiding parents with children on their shoulders who walk right in front of you, or people who barge past to get down Main Street. The audience tends to wander past, stop for a few minutes and move on, not good for people who do want to stop and watch it.  I think this might be the reason why the Imagineers built you theatres, away from the main walkways, don't you think?

The CD appeared at the weekend, but only in a few places and for some reason not in the actual CD displays. I saw it on the counter at Emporium (Toy Chest section), Storybook Store and Legends of Hollywood (gas station). It does have the "true" instrumental, just the regular song with the main vocals removed. ALL the backing vocals are still in there, so it's not really an instrumental at all.

Elwell2009

Quote from: "Anthony"- There's just a little too much smoke when Mickey appears. It's hard to see him appear if there's no wind, and if there is, half the audience is choked.

From the looks of the video there using the smoke screen system,and if it is it really needs to be that strong and that much to get that high.

zanderstarz

Quote from: "casschr05"I always thought that the dancers were employed by DLRP :?
does any one know the reasons behind why they aren't?

The dancers for Stitch and Party Time are ONLY used in those 2 shows, that is to say, each show has its own cast of dancers. The parade dancers and performers are still the same EPC people. It makes too much of an impact on the parade department to use the EPC performers on shows of this magnitude, therefore DLRP employs dancers specifically for these shows so as not to affect EPCs normal daily routine. High School is also externally cast.

However, if some EPC people are lucky at auditions they too get to perform in the shows. But no longer do the parades, or do specific "show" shifts.

Quote from: "Anthony"- There's just a little too much smoke when Mickey appears. It's hard to see him appear if there's no wind, and if there is, half the audience is choked.

Mickey is chocked too you know! Bless him, the poor defenceless mouse, being forced to perform in such restricting and dangerous conditions, even at 80 years of age!
~ just like we dreamed it ~

Magicalmouse125

Thank you for those points Anthony.
Despite what has been said i reckon this show may be one of the best things if not 'The' best thing about MMP. The fact that it is so colourful and jazzy will probably bring people in. I personally Love Mickey's entrance and all the effects of the show.

And i can't wait to get the new CD however i'm still not sure where to get it from.

Aveen2008

Is it just me (probably is) or is mickey's voice really high and squeaky (well higher than normal) when he talks? :P
Luv Aveen xoxo

15MagicalYears

I'm sorry but the whole Entertainment departement deal isn't adding up to me  :? .
Why would they not make a Dancer department? Which could in some way link to the entertainment department?