Disney's Once Upon a Dream Parade

Started by Kristof, January 16, 2006, 07:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TowMater

They are only here for the current Magical Moments Festival but hopefully they won't be here to stay.
"To all who come to his happy place, Welcome" - Walt Disney

Previous Disney Visits

DLRP  | May 2001           |Newport Bay
WDW  | October 2004    | Calabry Parc Villas
WDW  | October 2006    | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | May 2008          | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | August 2008      | All Star Movies
DLRP   | November 2008 | Explorers Hotel
WDW  |August 2009       |Pop Century

15MagicalYears

Hopefully they get cut within the next month or so, I really dislike these new show stops.

Scissorsboi

I totally agree with the different culture view on the parade not working with the interactive show stops, and I don't know why after so many failed attempts in the past (unless they see them as successes for other reasons?) they keep trying them. I get the impression they may be dripped down from WDI, a memo somewhere that goes "make it interactive, it's our new direction", so that is why these things are appearing.

However, another reason they don't work in DOUAD is that the parade simply isn't designed for them! The music, timings and style of the parade is arranged for a short dance section with impact, this takes away that impact and has a feeling of blandness to it. The spaces between the floats are too far apart for the interaction, look at that Mary Poppins stop, there's 4 (tops 5) dancers at that point and a massive space behind them, it doesn't LOOK like a parade is going on, it looks like they've just come out for a quick interaction and then leaving. Not magical, just dull.

The reason the American parks get the interaction to work is that they have the parades themselves shorter (using Block Party Bash as an example here), and the floats are packed tightly together so that the area seems to be really busy and full of activity, they also load the parade up with dancers who not only dance around to create energy, but are provided with props (trampolines/balls/ribbons) to keep things changed up all the time. The DOUAD stops only have small, unnoticeable and forgettable props to give to people. Drums, sandwich boards, there's no energy there!

If they wanted interaction they should have had 'mini floats' between the main ones, which dancers could have interacted on and then got kids/adults from the audience to just join in with a dance, instead of focussing on a few kids, put into the music something like "come on, get up and join our dreams!" from the characters, and then have the dancers beckon the audience to come forward onto the route and dance, no singling out, totally out of guests choice, and if no one goes then there's still a dance/filler during the show stop.

If there's one thing I've seen in theatre which would apply here, is that if just one person gets up and dances during the finale, and looks like they're having fun, then very quickly others will join in. That's all it takes here, no sense of "hold this, walk like this, hit this drum", just a "come on, lets have fun" feeling instead.

Just my two cents..
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

TowMater

Quote from: "Scissorsboi"I totally agree with the different culture view on the parade not working with the interactive show stops, and I don't know why after so many failed attempts in the past (unless they see them as successes for other reasons?) they keep trying them. I get the impression they may be dripped down from WDI, a memo somewhere that goes "make it interactive, it's our new direction", so that is why these things are appearing.

However, another reason they don't work in DOUAD is that the parade simply isn't designed for them! The music, timings and style of the parade is arranged for a short dance section with impact, this takes away that impact and has a feeling of blandness to it. The spaces between the floats are too far apart for the interaction, look at that Mary Poppins stop, there's 4 (tops 5) dancers at that point and a massive space behind them, it doesn't LOOK like a parade is going on, it looks like they've just come out for a quick interaction and then leaving. Not magical, just dull.

The reason the American parks get the interaction to work is that they have the parades themselves shorter (using Block Party Bash as an example here), and the floats are packed tightly together so that the area seems to be really busy and full of activity, they also load the parade up with dancers who not only dance around to create energy, but are provided with props (trampolines/balls/ribbons) to keep things changed up all the time. The DOUAD stops only have small, unnoticeable and forgettable props to give to people. Drums, sandwich boards, there's no energy there!

If they wanted interaction they should have had 'mini floats' between the main ones, which dancers could have interacted on and then got kids/adults from the audience to just join in with a dance, instead of focussing on a few kids, put into the music something like "come on, get up and join our dreams!" from the characters, and then have the dancers beckon the audience to come forward onto the route and dance, no singling out, totally out of guests choice, and if no one goes then there's still a dance/filler during the show stop.

If there's one thing I've seen in theatre which would apply here, is that if just one person gets up and dances during the finale, and looks like they're having fun, then very quickly others will join in. That's all it takes here, no sense of "hold this, walk like this, hit this drum", just a "come on, lets have fun" feeling instead.

Just my two cents..

=D>  I totally agree with you there, cram all of the floats down at Main Street and do show stops that are like 8 minutes long like Block Party Bash.
"To all who come to his happy place, Welcome" - Walt Disney

Previous Disney Visits

DLRP  | May 2001           |Newport Bay
WDW  | October 2004    | Calabry Parc Villas
WDW  | October 2006    | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | May 2008          | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | August 2008      | All Star Movies
DLRP   | November 2008 | Explorers Hotel
WDW  |August 2009       |Pop Century

Festival Disney

Characters Photo Blog posted this on their Facebook not too long ago:
QuoteA few tests are going on for the Disney's Once Upon a Dream Parade : after Dreams of Laughter & Fun and "Toy Story" yesterday, it was time for Dreams of Imagination to get the original coregraphy back during the showstops today - but still featuring the umbrella.
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

littlemermaid83

I been told the last 45 seconds they are bringing kids in to do a quick dance and pose at the end. So guess this is a lot better than before.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

15MagicalYears

That sounds a lot better, rather than an awkward couple of minutes watching children walk around in circles  :roll:

littlemermaid83

Quote from: "15MagicalYears"That sounds a lot better, rather than an awkward couple of minutes watching children walk around in circles  :roll:

Not sure if they will keep it like this because the Toy Story float was back to the horses and the kiddos again. SIGH
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

littlemermaid83

I have heard that in a few weeks they changing the parade again, and that everyone will be doing the same thing. Have a feeling that means the orginial show stops are coming back.

Poppy The Monkey

The old show-stops are not returning!

There will be another new version of showstops arriving in the first week of May... prepare say goodbye to the props and "Just Like We Dreamed it"!  :-"  They're still going to be interactive though, BUT everyone will be able to take part!

Tuvok

Quote from: "Poppy The Monkey"The old show-stops are not returning!

There will be another new version of showstops arriving in the first week of May... prepare say goodbye to the props and "Just Like We Dreamed it"!  :-"  They're still going to be interactive though, BUT everyone will be able to take part!

This is getting more messy by the minute. No more 'Just Like We Dreamed It' and EVERYONE can join in? Oh for god sake, can somebody talk some sense into the entertainment department. They are totaly loosing it with OUADP. I'm already feeling sorry for the Guest Flow Cast Members...
DLRP Fan Blog > The Magic of Disneyland Resort Paris (Dutch DLRP Fan Blog)

alternativerock123

Well, that's disappointing. I really like "Just Like We Dreamed it" with the old show-stops.
However it's a good thing that the props are going. I thought they were just an epic fail...

Alternatively, like Tuvok said, it is gonna get messy, if they allow ANYONE close to the floats then kids are probably going to climb on them to get to the characters (if they don't get off the float).

Well, all we can do it wait to see what's going to happen... but I think that this is going to happen all over again and the old show-stops will return.  [-o<
31st Aug - 1st Sept 2010 = Kyriad Torcy (First Time <3)
11th - 14th July 2011 = New York Hotel
2nd - 4th Aug 2011 = Kyriad Torcy
31st Oct 2011 = Day Trip
13th March 2012 (Disneyland Cal)
10th - 13th April 2012= Hotel L'Elysée
30th May - 1st June 2012 = Hotel L'Elysée
31st Oct - 1st Nov 2012 = Residence Prestige
18th - 20th July 2013 - Residence Prestige
9th -11th Nov 2013 = Hotel L'Elysée (First Christmas Trip!)
Coming soon:
29th April - 1st May = Hipark Serris.

Poppy The Monkey

everyone can join in! but I think they're not going to leave the sidewalk.... ;)

Festival Disney

How can they not have Just like we dreamed it in the showstop? The whole float audio loops system is based around that track... But, as long as Dancin' a catchy rythem doesn't return, I'm interested to see what transpires :P
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

littlemermaid83

Oh this is a joke, what we all going to sway our arms and clap or something from the behind the parade ropes?

They are ruining the whole parade by changing it constantly. Why can't they just give us back the old show stops? Don't fix what ain't broke.