Trip Report 25th - 30th August 2008 - Loads of Refurbs!

Started by Disneyland Paris Treasures, September 17, 2008, 06:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disneyland Paris Treasures

Usually we visit DLRP during off-season, but this time we went from 25th to 30th August to finally see Fantillusion and the Enchanted Firework! I never wrote a Trip Report before, but during our trip there were some surprises and unexpected things for us, some of which I thought might be interesting to share.

The trip already began with a nice surprise: when we checked in at the Newport Bay Club, we were informed that we had been upgraded to the Admiral Floor, although we had "only" booked Lake View.

Also interesting (at least to me) when I was handed the room keys, they had a new design:

I liked the old one better, but I guess there were people who needed a tutorial on how these room keys work?

In our room the next surprise awaits, two cute Eeyore plushies for the kids:

The Newport Bay Club is really earning bonus points with us here!! Also the room featured a balcony (!) and a great view over Lake Disney:

Another surprise in the bathroom. It seems they are finally replacing the (15 year old?) design of the shampoo and shower gel bottles:

In Hotel New York in May we still had the Mickey branded bottles. Will the soaps soon be replaced too? Here a better closeup:

Ok, enough of the hotel. Off to the park. As was to be expected the park was pretty crowded most of the times. Because of that I found it even more surprising to find Main Street being under heavy refurb during the whole week! Wet Paint signs popped up everywhere:

I was really happy to see that they are giving our beloved Main Street so much attention! During our stay we found that not only Main Street but also a few other spots were being taken care of.

I have no clue of what exactly they were doing here in Adventureland, but the whole beach area in front of POTC was closed and not accessible. Not from this side:

And not from this side either:

Are they repainting the stones? What is all the wood doing there? Anyway, with all these refurbs going on I hurried over to the tipping rock (Le Rocher Qui Bascule) to see if they finally fixed it, but sadly no, still fixed to the ground:

I am still convinced that they will fix this little gem eventually. If you look closely you can see it is broken badly, the mechanics being visible and stuff, so they surely can't keep it like it is now:

In Frontierland we noticed that all the water effects were still disabled and the lake's surface was covered with some sort of foam. You can see it here (yes, Old Joe is still missing):

And the foamy layer is maybe even more visible in this night shot:

Now, I wonder if this is the result of something they put in the water to fight those water bacteria Kristof told us about? If so, hopefully it is effective and the water clean again soon.

On our way to the studios we discovered even more refurb underway:

At night we had a great view from our balcony. Sadly, the light in the lighhouse is still broken:

Now for the biggest and best surprise (at least it was for me):

One evening we had a fine dinner in the Blue Lagoon. Everything was perfect (as usual) and when we were done and leaving the restaurant I almost couldn't believe my eyes:

Finally, the lighthouse in front of POTC has a life flame again!!! Another pic here:

The fire was burning for around 30 seconds or so, then it went off, also for 30 secs and then it went on again and so on and so on. I had not read about this effect's return so for me this came as a HUGE surprise!!!

I am so glad to see things like tons of wet paint signs during peak season or long missed details like the POTC flame return. Are these the first results of Philippe Gas being in charge??

Ok, that is it for my refurb er... trip report. I hope I didn't bore you too much.

SophieD

thanks for the trip report Mobi!!! The pictures were amazing! I have never seen the flame on the lighthouse near POTC before, so hopefully it should be there in November!!

What  a suprised to be 'upgraded' to the Admiral Floor!! I have never been to Newport Bay Hotel so looking at your pics of the hotel room I may book up again for next year!!

thanks again!!
Sophie \":nemo:\"
xxxxx
follow me on Twitter!!

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.- Walt Disney

Epcot_Boy

Nice read and lovely pics.........thanks for sharing =D>

Epcot_Boy :ears:

David

never2old

Great report Mobi, thanks for that!

Whoa, nice upgrade in the hotel!! What a great view from the balcony! And love those new bottles in the bathroom, about time they changed them! Hope they have them in the Santa Fe next month  [-o< !

I didn't even know the lighhouse by POTC could do that!! That's so cool!! Those are some great pics, thanks!!

swity

Thanks for the trip report! :D
What a lovley supriese those two Eeyore plushies  :D
And I really like the new design of the shampoo bottles  :wink:

I hope you had a good time!

The Butlin Boy

Thanks for posting the great report and pictures. Looks like you were very lucky on your trip, with the upgrade, the free gifts, and to see the flame at POTC (I never knew it could do that :o  :wink: ). Thanks for sharing it, I'm looking forward to the rest :mrgreen:

Mr_B

Great trip report and nice pictures too !  =D>

I wish I was there again ......

Mr_B
From the mansion on the hill
Shrieks of laughter break the still
Ghoulish figures start to wake
Makes your knees begin to quake

DLRP - We\'ve been there one or two times .....

Nala_84

Thanks for the trip report and information, Mobi :)! Really love your pictures!

Aww, the Eeyore plushies were free?? They're so cute!!
And I also love the new design of the shampoo and shower gel bottles, looks so much fresher and more "21st century" :mrgreen: Really nice!
[size=85]1992 - Disneyland Paris - 1-day-trip
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe
2004 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Cheyenne
2005 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Santa Fe
2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Newport BayClub
2008 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Sequoia Lodge
2009 - Walt Disney World
[/size]

ColdSun

Awesome pictures and great review! I love the Eeyore plushies, so very adorable. Sure your kids were thrilled about them :D. And I never knew that there could be a flame in front of POTC, it definetely looks stunning, I hope they keep it up.

Aveen2008

wow that was a lot of wet paint signs!! :shock:  But as you said it's good they are giving our much beloved street attention! :D

The Eeyore plushes was a lovely touch!! Go Disneyland Paris!! :D

Aveen xxxxx
Luv Aveen xoxo

Wendy

Thanks for sharing your trip report with us  :D The hotel room looked lovely, and those pics of the flame were superb!  I'm glad that you had a lovely holiday.
Second Star To The Right And Straight On Til Morning!

xx Wen xx

My Trip Report: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5261