Disney's Hollywood Studios 20th Anniversary

Started by mstaft, May 01, 2009, 05:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mstaft

Hello Everyone,
I has been a long time since I have been loggin in, but I've been reading! :)
In case anyone is interested, I have posted almost 50 photos and a trip report- from my visit to this park 20 years ago. You can find it //http://www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com. Hope you enjoy it!
Mark

The Butlin Boy

Interesting article, thanks for posting it :)

mstaft

I'm glad you are enjoying it. I think the photos turned out great given the amateur photographer (me!)

Keep an eye on the blog all this week- I've got more greatDisney-MGM coming up!  8)

mstaft

I'm glad you are enjoying it. I think the photos turned out great given the amateur photographer (me!)

Keep an eye on the blog all this week- I've got more greatDisney-MGM coming up!  8)

davewasbaloo

Thanks Mark, although the Studios were small at opening, it did concentrate on what Disney always did best, edutainment. If you don't have a copy, I recommend you get a copy of the imagineering field guide for the Studios that gives you the history of where the inspiration for each building on Hollywood Bvd comes from, as well as the hidden jokes on the crates at Min and Bill's.

It is looking at the Studios as was compared to today that makes me so sad. What they were going for was so much more ambitious than all the tooning of today. But toons are cheaper and easier, and sadly seem to go down well. And then the modern new fans sadly do not know any better.

This is why I am desperately looking for a new obsession and have dramatically reduced my time on Disney web sites. It hurts me to my core, the way the company and the fan base are going.

Thanks for sharing and reminding me of what Disney used to be about.
since 2001 (many before that)

Anthony

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"This is why I am desperately looking for a new obsession and have dramatically reduced my time on Disney web sites. It hurts me to my core, the way the company and the fan base are going.
Oh? Thank you.

RnRCj

Thanks for the pics! It's so wonderful to see an almost perfect Disney park! :D

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"It is looking at the Studios as was compared to today that makes me so sad. What they were going for was so much more ambitious than all the tooning of today. But toons are cheaper and easier, and sadly seem to go down well.
If I am correct, the MGM Studios park was built very quickly, sort of like a last minute decision. Yet it still turned out to be an incredible Disney park. What I don't understand is why they can't produce amazing things in short times nowadays. Surely the Imagineers still have load of creative ideas? I'm guessing it's the management not willing to take a risk. :(

Owain

Quote from: "RnRCj"Surely the Imagineers still have load of creative ideas? I'm guessing it's the management not willing to take a risk. :(

Or spend the money  :(

Agent Lex

Not only is it a great park, but there's a LOT of thought that went into all of the surroundings, that most people never even think about. Lisetn to this podcast to find out a whole lot that I bet you never knew.

Remco K.

Quote from: "Agent Lex"Not only is it a great park, but there's a LOT of thought that went into all of the surroundings, that most people never even think about. Lisetn to this podcast to find out a whole lot that I bet you never knew.
It sure is! I attended a little presentation held bij 3 Imagineers (Eric Jacobson, Bob Weis and Tom Fitgerald) on the 1st of May. They showed lot of concepts and told their stories. I never knew the Hollywood Studio's were such a wellthought park.

Unfortunately we were not allowed to take pics or to videotape the presentation.

AmericanMouse

It's not Disney-MGM Studios anymore, mstaff.

They call it "Disney's Hollywood Studios" now.