Bye Bye Classic Disney?

Started by Barnsey313, September 04, 2008, 05:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonysprincess

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"It not like thy're ever gonna remove the Classic stuff. I can't see them having Hidden Stitch silhouettes instead of MM. But even kids (like mine) raised on Snow White, Peter Pan and Sleeping Beauty are still going to be exposed more to recent productions. If Disney didnt feel there was a market for HSM and HM merchandise, then there wouldn't be any. Suplly and Demand. As for Disney Fairies, if it doesnt prove popular or sell a lot of luchboxes, pretty soon you won't hear tell of it again.

Personally, I dont mind. I love watching my kids sing along and acting out ALL the scenes from HMS cause it makes them happy ( or my son to any film with a sword ). And at the end of the day, that's the most important thing.
Yeah exactly. And if you think about it, the classic stuff was new once right?

burntsienna

Quote from: "anthonysprincess"
Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"It not like thy're ever gonna remove the Classic stuff. I can't see them having Hidden Stitch silhouettes instead of MM. But even kids (like mine) raised on Snow White, Peter Pan and Sleeping Beauty are still going to be exposed more to recent productions. If Disney didnt feel there was a market for HSM and HM merchandise, then there wouldn't be any. Suplly and Demand. As for Disney Fairies, if it doesnt prove popular or sell a lot of luchboxes, pretty soon you won't hear tell of it again.

Personally, I dont mind. I love watching my kids sing along and acting out ALL the scenes from HMS cause it makes them happy ( or my son to any film with a sword ). And at the end of the day, that's the most important thing.

Yeah it's like what I touched on sayin that it does make other people happy.
I just wish that there would be more merch dedicated to the classics, cause sometimes there is more of the new stuff than the old, I'd like a compromise.
"I could be the Alice to your Wonderland"

anthonysprincess

Quote from: "burntsienna"

Yeah it's like what I touched on sayin that it does make other people happy.
I just wish that there would be more merch dedicated to the classics, cause sometimes there is more of the new stuff than the old, I'd like a compromise.
I can agree in that sense... I get annoyd when old stuff which is obivously better gets pushed aside for new, but crummyish stuff (i dont want to start an arguement BUT my examples are Extraterrorestrial Alien Encounter turned Stitch's Great Escape and Mr Toad's Wild Ride turned Winnie the Pooh... :( )

Pete's Dragon

QuoteYeah it's like what I touched on sayin that it does make other people happy.

I know what you mean. But look at he Disney Sotes as an example. When a new film comes out, they go crazy trying to push all the lastest cup,dress-ups, toys, beach towels, branded pencils etc. and everything else gets pushed to the sidelines. I dont remember anyone complaining that they couldnt find a Snow White pencil case because everything had Wall-E on it.

burntsienna

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"
QuoteYeah it's like what I touched on sayin that it does make other people happy.

I know what you mean. But look at he Disney Sotes as an example. When a new film comes out, they go crazy trying to push all the lastest cup,dress-ups, toys, beach towels, branded pencils etc. and everything else gets pushed to the sidelines. I dont remember anyone complaining that they couldnt find a Snow White pencil case because everything had Wall-E on it.

I think they should push the new films for a certain period of time, and then equalize the merchendise between the old and the new. Though I do understand that some things will sell better than others. I think that some classic stuff would still sell really well, for example the Disney Traditions figures =] which I am very happy to have about.
I always see adverts for Hannah Montana or HSM, but never for something like the Disney Traditions, which makes me think that half the time they don't sell half as well as they would because not as many people know about them.
"I could be the Alice to your Wonderland"

Pete's Dragon

Probably just laziness on the part of the Marketing department. Although afterall,its a bit hard to push something like Snow White to a mass audience, seeing as how its over 70 years old. Can't really brand it as new and exciting in today's market place. ( which is a shame really)

anthonysprincess

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"Probably just laziness on the part of the Marketing department. Although afterall,its a bit hard to push something like Snow White to a mass audience, seeing as how its over 70 years old. Can't really brand it as new and exciting in today's market place. ( which is a shame really)
Perhaps it's the fact that Snow White is BEYOND advertising. She does not need to be advertised anymore.

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"Probably just laziness on the part of the Marketing department. Although afterall,its a bit hard to push something like Snow White to a mass audience, seeing as how its over 70 years old. Can't really brand it as new and exciting in today's market place. ( which is a shame really)
Perhaps it's the fact that Snow White is BEYOND advertising. She does not need to be advertised anymore.

I dont think that's true. The same thing could be said for Coca-Cola, but it doesnt stop them advertising

anthonysprincess

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"

I dont think that's true. The same thing could be said for Coca-Cola, but it doesnt stop them advertising

I see your point, but I also see crazy amounts of little girls wearing snow white costumes and begging their moms for them at work, and wanting to go on the snow white ride because they see snow white's picture on it (:( its a bit scary tho)

I mean coke's more like a whole company, so that would be more comparable to Disney. I dunno if I'm right but from what I've seen Snow White is pretty effectively recognised by almost every kid I see at work (MK)

Captain Pan

It was insanely wierd when I went on work experience in the School, the Children could name any Pixar Character I described, or managed to poorly sketch out... and they could do it too with Donald and Mickey... I showed them Chip and Dale and they called them Alvin and Simion... I showed them Lumiere and they Struggled to tell me who he is or the movie he is from... So I had to give them a little bit of education through my sketch pad and the sending them home to youtube to watch the movies or pester the parents to see the Classics!

People are continually commenting on the continual addition of Pixar to the Parks and with my experience of the Older Children in  Primary Schools those who were around when Emperors New Groove was released at the latest, Children now associate Disney with Pixar and each child rattled off 7 of the 9 Pixar Movies and gave me a running commentary of them better than the directors of the movies themselves could! Pixar unfortunately is the way forward... The Classics may just need to survive in Special Editions and the Advertisements and trailers for them on the DVD and before the release... and we just hope the WDI don't forget them too and rekindle the Classic Spirit of Disney and Hopefully John Lasseter can do it for Walt Disney Animation too

penfold12

Quote from: "Captain Pan"The Classics may just need to survive in Special Editions and the Advertisements and trailers for them on the DVD and before the release... and we just hope the WDI don't forget them too and rekindle the Classic Spirit of Disney and Hopefully John Lasseter can do it for Walt Disney Animation too

I dissagree. The classics are re released in a timely manner, every 7 to 10 years, for a purpose....So they can be resold or "discovered" by a new generation.

Its funny to read that several people made comment about Beauty & the Beast or The Little Mermaid as being classics. They are, but they are also not old!

The introduction of the newer Disney stable is inevitable. The company cannot simply rest on its laurels and expect guests to live on nostalgic memories. HSM, love it or loath it, is a global phenomenom. One that makes money for a blue chip company. To the majority of youngsters, it is as much Disney as Snow White is. They have grown up with it, making it relevent to them.

DLRP or any of the parks would be stupid to ignore these characters, they are needed, and deserve a place in the park. All that said, it is imperitive that what we call "The Classics" are also represented, so they dont become a distant memory. The main reason they are imprortant to us is because we grew up with them, making them relevent to us. Bit like HSM to kids today....

DanielCraig

Think of it this way - If there werent any new stuff, youd be complaining because of the lack of new stuff.

All our wishes
Will
come
True

Captain Pan

Quote from: "penfold12"
Quote from: "Captain Pan"The Classics may just need to survive in Special Editions and the Advertisements and trailers for them on the DVD and before the release... and we just hope the WDI don't forget them too and rekindle the Classic Spirit of Disney and Hopefully John Lasseter can do it for Walt Disney Animation too

I dissagree. The classics are re released in a timely manner, every 7 to 10 years, for a purpose....So they can be resold or "discovered" by a new generation.

Its funny to read that several people made comment about Beauty & the Beast or The Little Mermaid as being classics. They are, but they are also not old!

I never said that The Classics weren't re released in acceptable times increments (Except for when you want one and you have to wait 3-4 years Lion King & Beauty and the Beast).

Technically Speaking Beauty & The Beast and The Little Mermaid along with Meet The Robinsons, Chicken Little are classed as Classics, By Disney Themselves look at the front covers of the DVD/VHS to see it and considering Chicken Little and Meet The Robinsons are there and they were brought out not that many years ago.

But then when you consider Beauty and The Beast and Little Mermaid, they are part of the Disney Animated Renaissance that occurred during the 80s through till Emperors New Groove.

MizzRabbit

This is a very interesting discussion. I don't mind the HSM and HM mercandise and shows at all. The only thing I mind is when they try to re-invent the classic characters as with Tinkerbelle and the big group of princesses. I don't like it when they add something "modern" to a classic story. Tink doesn't talk and that's it! The princesses are from different periods, lands, and adventures and don't belong together. I don't mind new movies, new rides, that Disney evolves. I just don't want them to almost mainly focus on mass merchandise where it all looks the same. The special thing about Disney is that everything is unique. The stories, the heroins and heroes. And when mass merchandise takes over it becomes dull. In 1992 the park had even more classic Disneythemed candy for instance. Everything had the EuroDisney logo and the icecreams were really special. Now it's Ben and Jerry's, a big brand not related to Disney. Much of the candy is still Disney but now also represented by big brands such as Pez. I'm not complaining, I love Disney. I just wish they'd go a little bit back to basics. Both in the parks and also in their global merchandise.

My Disneypics gallery]http://public.fotki.com/MizzRabbit/[/url]
Use password]

penfold12

Captain Pan, I agree with what you are saying. What I was trying to say is that as the public, we only associate something as being a "classic" after a period of time. The marketing department at Disney however lauch some titles as classics.

Im not sure when a movie becomes a classic in the publics eye? This thread, bye bye classic Disney, is refering to the original golden age I presume.

I dont thisnk HSM or Meet the Robisons are classics, but are very relevent to kids today. For teh parks to remain relevent, they have to be updated. As for the "Classics", there arent many films over 50 years old that a 8 yer old would not only watch, but know every word to!

The upcoming range of hand drawn animation strike me as fitting the "Classic" tag. But why? Beacuse they are hand drawn, over the CGI of Meet the Robinsons?  That said, is early Pixar tagged as Classic?