Day 1 - Arras enroute to DLP

Started by davewasbaloo, August 31, 2008, 12:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

Hi folks,

We returned 1am yesterday from our trip to France (inc DLP of course). I don't know if anyone is interested, but I thought I would share.

We departed our house at about 8:00 and drove down to the Channel Tunnel, a pretty smooth uneventful 3 hours and then we were able to take an earlier train through the tunnel. Loaded the cars on and off we went, 35 mins later we were in France, and off to our first stop in Arras (about halfway between Calais and DLP).

We had stopped here before when Mikey was a baby, but never really looked around. This day we explored. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for about 70 euro, £56, $112 for bed, breakfast and parking. Not bad and a great location (me missed Metallica's concert in the Grand Place by a few days :-( )

We explored, shopped a little and then went into the wonderful caves under the town. A facinating tour presented in French in English. It rained a little, but not too bad.

We then had a a lovely dinner in a Medeterranian restaurant and an early night. we had hoped to go to Parc Asterix the next day.

Pics including more detail trip report:

http://www.kodakgallery.co.uk/I.jsp?c=5 ... leid=en_GB
since 2001 (many before that)

never2old

Arras looks really nice!

Thanks for that, looking forward to the next of your trip!

giselle

We have stayed in Arras on a couple of occasions. We stayed in the Hotel Trois Luppars in the main square, our room overlooked the square and on a saturday they have a fab market with fresh fruit, flowers and live chickens.

We usually try and tag a couple of days to the beginning or end of our trips in December, obiouvsly we have stayed in Paris (my favourite) but we have also stayed in a little village called Chelles, which sits just in between Paris and Disney,  just a short train ride into Paris.  

We usually stay in the Kyriad chain of hotels, and it gives you a small insight into France at the same time.

However, the only drawback with staying somewhere before (like Chelles) when you know it is only a 20 minute car drive, you can't wait to be in Disney.  :D