Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smurfy74

they all look really good to me, my only concern is capacity, it says the half pipe can handle 1000 people per hour. Will there be 2 half pipes?? Crush can handle about 1000 guests per hour and looked what has happened there. Disney knows Europeans like thrill rides ( thats what led to the quick introduction of the vekoma coaster - indiana jones and the temple of peril - back in the day ) We all know imagineers do a great job so im sure it will be well themed, also if its due to open in 2010 then we wont have long to wait until an announcement as it less than 18 months away :D  :D  :D  :D

Maarten

Quote from: "Kristof"It seems that a large expansion of Toon Studio is currently being planned out by Imagineers for the grass area behind Art of Disney Animation.  

The three smaller, but definitely themed and permanent rides will most likely form a mini-land, similar to "A Bugs Land" at Disney's California Adventure Park and Mermaid Lagoon at Tokyo Disney Sea.

Just to clear things up, is this supposed to become an extension of Toon Studio or will it become a seperated mini-land? Or a mini-land inside Toon Studio? I don't really understand. Maybe they can get rid of the half-pipe coaster idea and opt for Flik's Flyers instead. At least that would be a fun attraction that small children can ride aswell.

Any news on the addition of a simple playground? Although it was announcent back in 2003 (together with the Vinci Parking right?), it never materialised. I think it would be a great addition for small kids. Maybe a filmset version of Pooh's Playful Spot?

I am glad that the new additions won't be temporary and unthemed like early rumours suggested. At least now I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully Disney will have some more budget soon so they can add a real shop to Toon Studio and add restaurant capacity since that would bring in the cash, but that's way offtopic. These new addition are just quick and cheap (hopefully it won't show).

penfold12

The attraction at TDL works so well, because the surrounding area is soooo richly themed.

I truely believe that the themeing of the Cars attraction in DLP is great. A very simple attraction, but the themeing makes the ride incidental for adults, and the ride perfect for kids.

If we get that level or better of themeing, then im a happy bunny.

That said, I have to say, the half pipe attraction is the one that worries me. That really stands out as a Six Flags attarction, the challenge is there for WDI to make that ride become a themed attraction worthy of a place in a Disney Theme Park. WDS has taken long enough to become a Walt Disney Theme Park, I just hope these attractions bring enough theming to continue this evolution

davewasbaloo

Hmmmm, I am very nervous. I do not really like the look of the Mermaid Lagoon, and I have been to DCA, and while the theming of Flicks is good, the attractions suck and have very low capacity. I am not optimistic about this at all.

Again, a sign that Disney either does toons or thrills these days, they have lost their way.
since 2001 (many before that)

pussinboots

Mermaid Lagoon looks wonderful to me. Yes, it has the off-the-shelf rides and a lot of fauxness, but it handles it with attention to detail and whimsy. Tokyo DisneySea is probably the most "immersive" park on the planet, so it can afford one area that doesn't try to convince you with all its might that it is real.

The Walt Disney Studios however is a whole 'nother story, and you just know that whatever is going to fill in that patch of land is not going to match up to the watery peaks of Mermaid Lagoon.

Here is the famous Al Lutz photo tour for anyone who's curious:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/tokyo/tdstour/tdstour9.htm
It also includes a comparison between DisneySea's Jumpin' Jellyfish and Disney's California Adventure's. Same ride, very different packaging.

Anthony

Quote from: "RnRCj"I just think they should scrap the half-pipe. That's the only ride of the 3 that I think will look bad. Another roller coaster isn't needed, and it's just too much of a thrill ride for DLRP. It's also a really low capacity attraction - Haven't they learnt from Crush's Coaster that's not a good idea? :|
That's a really spot-on observation. It's automatically going to be a bit of a "weenie" because of its height. Then add in the coaster aspect and you know it's going to draw people in massively. The standard version only takes 16 people per ride. SIXTEEN?!

That's four cars passing by on Crush but in about 3 or 4 times the amount of time.

Quote from: "RnRCj"The Paratower I'm unsure about. It could looks good, but it could look terrible too. We'll have to wait and see. Also, like the half-pipe, it's a fairly low capacity attraction.
But don't assume that because DCA and TDS have two para-towers side by side, there would be the same number in Paris... that's a capacity problem that can be easily fixed.

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Again, a sign that Disney either does toons or thrills these days, they have lost their way.
Adding toon-themed rides to Toon Studio to me does not seem to be a sign they've lost their way.

Quote from: "pussinboots"The Walt Disney Studios however is a whole 'nother story, and you just know that whatever is going to fill in that patch of land is not going to match up to the watery peaks of Mermaid Lagoon.
Well, now the bar has been set low. If it's as good as the first Toon Studio expansion, I'll be happy. But you've got to remember -- we're talking about a movie studio-themed park here. There aren't really meant to be any sweeping vistas of natural landscapes. Save that stuff for the more classic parks. Comparing DisneySea with Walt Disney Studios is pretty ridiculous. Chalk and cheese.

And just to answer - I think - Maarten, everything we know suggests the three attractions will definitely be part of Toon Studio but will probably have a common theme and be a kind of sub-land, just like a bug's land as Kristof said.

You're absolutely right about the playground too, it's madness they haven't even added one of those when the DLP ones are so popular and WDS completely lacks things for that age group. Especially when they did announce it, as you say.

pussinboots

Quote from: "Anthony"
Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Again, a sign that Disney either does toons or thrills these days, they have lost their way.
Adding toon-themed rides to Toon Studio to me does not seem to be a sign they've lost their way.

Well, they only added Toon Studio last year, and considering the park's other big addition, Dave seems to be right on the money. As for toons in Toon Studio; they could for example opt for something that delves deeper into the world of animation. It doesn't always have to be an existing Vekoma staple with a popular Pixar franchise plastered on it.

But while it is true that the Fantasyland demographic is largely ignored at the park, and perhaps a few more simple, funfair-style rides might actually be a good idea, the patch of land behind Art of Disney Animation is not the place to put them. Isn't the layout arbitrary enough as it is? Will the future Hollywood Boulevard addition really benefit from a set of kiddie rides located two feet from the backs of its buildings, and what kind of a sight is the back of Art of Disney Animation anyway? I just can't see this working out at all.

Quote from: "Anthony"
Quote from: "pussinboots"The Walt Disney Studios however is a whole 'nother story, and you just know that whatever is going to fill in that patch of land is not going to match up to the watery peaks of Mermaid Lagoon.
Well, now the bar has been set low. If it's as good as the first Toon Studio expansion, I'll be happy. But you've got to remember -- we're talking about a movie studio-themed park here. There aren't really meant to be any sweeping vistas of natural landscapes. Save that stuff for the more classic parks. Comparing DisneySea with Walt Disney Studios is pretty ridiculous. Chalk and cheese.

Well, that's the most depressing thing of all. The thought that attractions in nondescript sound stages is the best we can hope for from a studio-themed park (a thought mercifully if perhaps briefly interrupted by the Tower of Terror). To think there are votes to build the Indiana Jones Adventure at the Studios...

But they darn well should be compared. If a fantastical underwater landscape is too much to ask for from a studio park, that is not to say there can't be an equally thrilling alternative that does befit such a park. And while they're saving up their euros to build such thrills, there are surely better ways to quickly improve capacity than by dressing up half pipe rides.

lil-shawn

QuoteAgain, please read the first post! They won't be temporary! Disney doesn't do temporary like this. They're just trying to add a huge amount of extra capacity to Toon Studio for a fairly minimal cost -- expand it into something that can sit well as a cousin of Fantasyland.

The cost vs. final result ratio here will be great for the park. No longer will you get to Cars Quatre Roues Rallye and then "that's it!", you'll have five great flat rides to choose from in the area. These are exactly the kind of walk-on continuous rides we used to always wish for at WDS. Since their last expansion only really brought us Cars (Crush isn't exactly something you can do on a whim), this (and Ratatouille) would complete the land.

okay anthony ure right, i never saw it that way, sorry....

i was thinking lang time about it, now i have to say, im happy they wanna do these rides,
the studios park need something more for kids  :)  i don´t like the photos of the ride how they look unthemed, thats the reason why i don´t liked the idea.

Now i hope the theming would be huge and great!!

Kristof

Quotei don´t like the photos of the ride how they look unthemed, thats the reason why i don´t liked the idea.

Can you guess the Disney-ride?  :wink:

lil-shawn

*lol* very funny, i dont like these pics either.

with themening from disney the rides looks even better  :mrgreen:

first pic: Rock´n´Rollercoaster

second pic: Cars Race Rally

third pic: I think Space mountain or?

fourth pic: Crush Coaster

but after all these pics are ugly and the rides looks not good!!!!!
i know disney will do something good... so now everyone is happy?

I quite argee with all of you now  :mrgreen:  :P

Kristof

Quote from: "lil-shawn"*lol* very funny, i dont like these pics either.

with themening from disney the rides looks even better  :mrgreen:

first pic: Rock´n´Rollercoaster

second pic: Cars Race Rally

third pic: I think Space mountain or?

fourth pic: Crush Coaster

but after all these pics are ugly and the rides looks not good!!!!!
i know disney will do something good... so now everyone is happy?

I quite argee with all of you now  :mrgreen:  :P

Lol, glad you got my point.  The Third one is actually Indiana Jones et le Temple du Péril!  

Anyway, the Imagineers working on this rumoured project are not making the same mistake they made with the original WDS.

lil-shawn

QuoteLol, glad you got my point. The Third one is actually Indiana Jones et le Temple du Péril!

Anyway, the Imagineers working on this rumoured project are not making the same mistake they made with the original WDS.

oh okay indiana jones i have to save it in mind  :P

i hope they will not make the mistakes anymore, we will see how it will come out...
maybe later im ashamed, because they did it so fantastic  :mrgreen:

penfold12

Raptor, I totaly agree, and its a point well made. My only concern, and I really should wait until we get more information, is that the Half Pipe attraction, is just so basic, and really doesnt lend itself to much story/themeing!

What made the coasters in those pics work for Disney is the themeing and back story for each of them. Unless im missing something, the half pipe which is in essence one curve of track, does not give much scope.

Oh, and personally, I have always been let down by Indianna Jones and teh Temple of Peril. I think the thememing, including the que is great, then the actual ride is so small and compact, it doesnt live up to the themeing. Always thought it could of benifited from a longer track, with some straight runs, to add to the illusion of a mine cart lol!

Remco K.

I see a lot of mixed reactions here. But there's one thing that most of us agree about... The halfpipe does not belong to the WDS. But I actually wonder how much of the expansion has been confirmed.

Kristof, in your opening post you somewhat 'confirm' the expansion to be happening. But you still talk about rumoured attractions. So perhaps we're all worried about the wrong choice of rides, while nothing has been confirmed yet.

Nicholas-c

i was amazed when i found out their was a ride exactly the same as RnRC :p
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone