Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimmyTimmyTimmy

I wish they had built something fun on the grounds... perhaps a Sci-Fi City or something else that is themed after movies.
I´m very sure this will end up looking cheap and being just for the youngest.

charlied

OK, is this definitely happening. Because it's April and for it to be ready for 2010 season that under a year now. Has construction started? And will it be a similar land to A Bug's Land (ie. it's own land with Toy Story rides in it) or will it just be an extension of Toon Studios like the Toon Backlot was?

CafeFantasia

They really shouldn't be building original attractions in Paris. I mean, it's hugely risky isn't it? What if they spend 50 million Euros on a new ride, or area, and it turns out to be a huge flop? It's not such a big deal at Walt Disney World if they mess up, and build a turkey. But Disneyland Paris has limited money to spend, so they should spend it on guaranteed hits.

Toy Story Playland could just be a huge waste of money. Money they could've spent on, or at least put towards, Soarin' or Mickey's PhilharMagic or even Toy Story Mania.

That's not to say I'm against original concepts in the parks; Crush's Coaster is amazing. But they need to be careful.

-breeno-

Quote from: "Alan"They really shouldn't be building original attractions in Paris. I mean, it's hugely risky isn't it? What if they spend 50 million Euros on a new ride, or area, and it turns out to be a huge flop? It's not such a big deal at Walt Disney World if they mess up, and build a turkey. But Disneyland Paris has limited money to spend, so they should spend it on guaranteed hits.

Toy Story Playland could just be a huge waste of money. Money they could've spent on, or at least put towards, Soarin' or Mickey's PhilharMagic or even Toy Story Mania.

That's not to say I'm against original concepts in the parks; Crush's Coaster is amazing. But they need to be careful.

Have to disagree with you, so if what i think your saying is correct there shouldn't be any Phantom Manor, Main Street arcades, Cinemagique, Moteurs... Action! Stunt Show Spectacular, Crush, Cars, Animagique, Panora Magique etc etc etc? ;)  See what i mean?  If DL[strike:2zbdshcw]R[/strike:2zbdshcw]P didn't take risks it'd would just be an American clone.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

DLP-Photos.com

I completely agree with Breeno that the originality is what makes parts of our parks so great and unique and why I really love it.

However, I agree with you that they have to be careful, but eventhough I have my doubts about Toy Story Playland I am sure that they somehow achieves to surprise us once more.
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

CafeFantasia

You're right, if Disney didn't take risks in Paris, there'd be nothing unique or original there.

That said, I still think they should be careful with the new attractions they add, for now. Any money they have available should go into guaranteed hit attractions; classic Disney attractions, worthy of the Disney name.

Toy Story Playland, to me, sounds like a garish mistake; a retrograde step. People don't pay £40 to visit a park with cheap, carnival rides they can find at any travelling fair.

RnRCj

Quote from: "Alan"Toy Story Playland, to me, sounds like a garish mistake; a retrograde step. People don't pay £40 to visit a park with cheap, carnival rides they can find at any travelling fair.
Indeed. Toon Studio is already messed up, Toy Story Playland will just make it worse. The land tells no story, unlike all the lands in Disneyland Park. It's just random toon-based attractions. I mean, take Crush's Coaster - how does it fit with the Studios theme at all? :|

I think the reason we all liked Toon Studio when it was first announced was because any new additions to the park seemed good at that time. The long-term effects of the land aren't good though.

Just read this on WDSfans:

Quote from: "WDSfans"Blue Sky Disney, a popular blog about Disney Parks world wide, hints that Toy Story Mania will be constructed at every Disney resort in the world.

The attraction currently exists at Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort in California and is under construction soon at Tokyo Disney Resort.

The fan blog claims that Jay Rasulo, head of Disney Parks, wants a Toy Story Mania at all the resorts, including Disneyland Paris.

Will this attraction replace the envisioned Ratatouille dark ride that's supposed to be build adjacent to Toy Story Playland?
Prooves that Disney management (or at least this Jay Rasulo guy) don't give a monkey's backside about storytelling. I really wish the management would give the Imagineers a chance to create something special like they used to.

Instead: "create a cheap attraction based on a popular Disney movie - doesn't matter about theme, as long as we make money from it".

:(

Willow

Slightly off topic but...

Since when has Jay Rasulo known what is good for Disney Parks? He knows business, not Theme Parks.

lil-shawn

QuoteSince when has Jay Rasulo known what is good for Disney Parks? He knows business, not Theme Parks.

hmm good question, i think not every guy who works for disney as an ceo or whatever
know what is good. look at lasseter i don´t think he is the right person to be a disney
imagineer, he knows how to make good pixar movies but not more.
also philipp gas is not good for our beloved disney park i think he sux at the moment,
maybe it will turn out good at the end but i don´t think so, i don´t like him at all.
whatever i think it would be better to scrap the halfpipe coaster and the towers
and take toystory mania and the third fairground ride.

you know gus they can do so much with toon studios, give it the look
of the pixar studios in cali. and make the story like pixar presents they´re
movies as attractions or something like that but this is more for the imagineering board!

Anthony

Quote from: "RnRCj"Indeed. Toon Studio is already messed up, Toy Story Playland will just make it worse. The land tells no story, unlike all the lands in Disneyland Park. It's just random toon-based attractions.

I mean, take Crush's Coaster - how does it fit with the Studios theme at all? :|
About as much as Toy Story Midway Mania at Disney's Hollywood Studios?

For the millionth time, you're crazy if you think WDS could/should ever be wrapped up in a coherent story as much, say, Frontierland is. The entire point of a studio park is that it's a collection of very different "scenes". If anything, the original Disney-MGM Europe plans had the park being even more messed up, with no lands whatsoever.

This isn't, never will and shouldn't be Tokyo Disney Sea. Leave that for the park next door.

Joseph Carter

Quote from: "Anthony"For the millionth time, you're crazy if you think WDS could/should ever be wrapped up in a coherent story as much, say, Frontierland is. The entire point of a studio park is that it's a collection of very different "scenes". If anything, the original Disney-MGM Europe plans had the park being even more messed up, with no lands whatsoever.

This isn't, never will and shouldn't be Tokyo Disney Sea. Leave that for the park next door.

I couldnt agree with you more. It is great reflection on what a REAL studios is like. Stuff lying around everywhere.
//http://www.disneymanpodcast.com
Check out the Disneyman Podcast!!! Its disney fun for everyone!

RnRCj

QuoteFor the millionth time, you're crazy if you think WDS could/should ever be wrapped up in a coherent story as much, say, Frontierland is. The entire point of a studio park is that it's a collection of very different "scenes".
Well, if the point of this park was to have a collection of different "scenes", why do we have themed lands? If the Studios was supposed to be collection of randomly themed attractions it wouldn't have lands at all. But the fact that is does have themed lands means that they should have a story! What's the point otherwise? :wink:

QuoteThis isn't, never will and shouldn't be Tokyo Disney Sea. Leave that for the park next door.
I don't expect it to be TDS. But I do expect it to make sense. When I walk into a land that seems like it will have a story and then don't get one, I leave confused.

pussinboots

Quote from: "Anthony"
Quote from: "RnRCj"Indeed. Toon Studio is already messed up, Toy Story Playland will just make it worse. The land tells no story, unlike all the lands in Disneyland Park. It's just random toon-based attractions.

I mean, take Crush's Coaster - how does it fit with the Studios theme at all? :|
About as much as Toy Story Midway Mania at Disney's Hollywood Studios?

For the millionth time, you're crazy if you think WDS could/should ever be wrapped up in a coherent story as much, say, Frontierland is. The entire point of a studio park is that it's a collection of very different "scenes". If anything, the original Disney-MGM Europe plans had the park being even more messed up, with no lands whatsoever.

I respect your views, but I will have to disagree with that one.

In my megalomaniacal and narrow-minded little view, the only sensible raison-d'etre for a studio park in that random fashion is to actually have a working studio.

With that gone at both parks, they have two options:
1. Spend the rest of eternity boring people with fake behind-the-scenes attractions, showing the duct tape backside of every prop and tacking awful puns at the end of everything (movie-tacular cinemagical star-burgers, Award Weiners — best weiner in a supporting roll, etc.), and create veritable tossed salads of character-based rides;
2. Become Disneyland. Disneyland with a Hollywood angle. Which is what they've started to do already (since the original Tower of Terror, really), and so is Disney's California Adventure.

Unless they embrace that last one, the place will remain Suckyville.

loverjack

It's not only random and there's no theme land!
I work in WDS; the concept of all park is one only theme: CINEMA
If u check the name of the land are only some cinema stuff! I mean: what do u expect from a land called front lot :S all the "FRONT" attraction? :P

I think that u can consider the lands like all cinema's sector: toon, movie, tv, special effect, action

And that's all! :)

Playhouse Disney Live On Stage!

pussinboots

Quote from: "loverjack"It's not only random and there's no theme land!
I work in WDS; the concept of all park is one only theme: CINEMA
If u check the name of the land are only some cinema stuff! I mean: what do u expect from a land called front lot :S all the "FRONT" attraction? :P

I think that u can consider the lands like all cinema's sector: toon, movie, tv, special effect, action

And that's all! :)

Well yes... And those names have about as much relevance as if one were to divide New York into themed lands 200 years after they were conceived. Moneyland, Snobland, Leisureland, Artland...