Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

That's not fair, there are some much nicer areas:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... afffd3a3da
since 2001 (many before that)

Malin

Welcome back :)

I have been waiting for your TSPL review with some great anticipation.

QuoteWhen the kids saw Buzz, they went ballistic with excitement, especially when he spoke (though Mikey - age 7 - asked why he was here and in Discoveryland). And the kids were very excited to see the land and discover things about it. For this reason, I am sure there will be glowing praise in some quarters. And as I have said before, having greenery and nooks and crannies to explore a little has added to what has been missing in this park. Also, there are some nice touches as everyone knows, and as I said before the queues are pretty well done.

The Buzz statue is very unusual indeed. Would of been a better idea to use Woody like seen in the concept art for Hong Kong Disneyland. The absense of Woody is very strange since he's heavily featured in the advertising for this area. Is there much more to this area that hasn't already been shown in the several thousands of pictures shown since its opening last week?

I don't think we can ever dispute the latest addition to the Studios has some nice touches. But unfortunately the negatives seem to far outweigh the few positives. As is the impression I get from your review. While I have another three weeks to go until I can check over the details myself in person. I have to admit the queue's seem much more detailed than what is normal for carnival rides of this type. And in my view trying its Imagineering way of trying to hide over the fact these are still very basic carnival rides. Some of the lines are more detailed than what you would expect to find on a Fantasyland c ticket dark ride.

QuoteOnto the attractions now. We first headed off to Slinky Zig Zag spin as we thought the kids would enjoy that the most. Sadly, it was 101 and they did not know when it would be back up  An attraction that is in carnivals around the globe, the kids were disappointed.

But Dave like others have said these rides are complicated machines and its to be expected that rides of this nature can experience technical problems during the opening months. Just look at Alton Towers ;)

QuoteNow I was warned by a cast member friend of mine that on top of it having height restrictions, it also is not great for tall or broad guests either. I was advised to ask the cast member at the front to see if we could try before queuing. When we did, we were told to get in line and find out when we board . Hopefully this was the response because it was EMH, and the queue was a 15 minute wait. I would have been livid if it were 2 hours (the posted wait times later in the day), because as you may have guessed, my friend Mark and I were too big for it. Having been on almost every attraction in Disneyland, DCA, the MK, Epcot, DHS, DAK, DLP and WDSP, for the first time in 35 years, I was too big for an attraction in a Disney park (and before anyone says it, I am much lighter now than I have been in 8 years). Not happy. Mikey was very upset because after getting the guts to ride it, Daddy could not. Thankfully my friend Amanda went on it with him, but I felt terrible about myself and this attraction.

Thats fairly sad. Once upon a time Disney use to make rides where one size fits all. I do believe this attraction was originally meant to have less riders. But more seats were added to meet capacity. Its possible the safety restraints were made smaller to allow more space for seats. This sucks in my view and is against what Walt stood for and the whole reason he built Disneyland. A place where the whole family could have fun together. The Walt Disney Studios park continues to be the place where everything Walt stood for is overlook. And its a real slap in the face to this man's legacy to have his name over the entrance. It looks like I'm unlikely going to be able to ride RC Racer either, although it makes no difference as I had no intention of doing it. Since I'm an adult and grew out of carnival rides about 20 years a go. Hopely the kids will do the same, although I can't imagine it being fun riding without Daddy.

QuoteAnd having met with several hard core DIsney fans, web masters and cast members this weekend, they said they feel similar but have not written about it because either:

a) they don't want to put a downer on other people's enjoyment

b) they do not wished to be identified by Disney for fear of repurcussions

c) they cannot be bothered.

Never mind I'll be over in Paris in a few short weeks. I plan a full trip report and I will not be holding back on what I think to this place. Thanks for the review. And look forward to reading the rest of your trip report. :D

QuoteHere's a photo of Wild Asia at Chessington, which davewasbaloo keeps referring to. Personally I much prefer the look of Toy Story Playland

So care to be more specific on why don't you like Wild Asia, but love TSPL?

Or was the comment made with the intention of trying to stir things up.

From the photo shown it appears this sort of ride belongs at Chessington. Can't say the same thing for TSPL fitting in at Disney.

Martyn

Them barriers around the small RC are clearly temporary, but what are they for?

And it seems crazy about being too tall for RC. I'm 6'3", am I too tall?

davewasbaloo

Possibly Martyn, but I am fat too. But at 6'2'' and having a 50 inch waist it was a no go.

Thanks James, and yes, you have pretty much seen it all in the pics.

SM:M3

I'm sorry but there is far more bare steel at Wild Asia, I have experienced it twice this year and rather than finding new details I found more 'bad show'. It should also be noted the Wild Asia rides are carnival rides (except the bird walkthrough)

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "SM:M3"It should also be noted the Wild Asia rides are carnival rides (except the bird walkthrough)

Hence the comparison, and the reason why I do not think TSPL should have ever been built in a Disney park.

claire2281

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Possibly Martyn, but I am fat too. But at 6'2'' and having a 50 inch waist it was a no go.

Thanks James, and yes, you have pretty much seen it all in the pics.

I've seen some large guests struggle to get on AIR at Alton before with the ride operators all but standing on the restraint to try to get it shut.

I do wonder if it's a matter of getting the smaller guests in too though. I'm only 5ft3 and a UK size 12 so I'm fairly average-y. I do often get thrown around more in rides than my brother who is 6ft and average weight. Perhaps they could have put larger restraints in but it would have meant upping the height restriction.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

davewasbaloo

There is actually a mechanism rides can use that lengthen or shorten the straps, and Nemisis has "Big" seats that give a little more room for up to 2 riders. There are ways to do this. You will be fine I suspect as my 7 year only rode it.

claire2281

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"There is actually a mechanism rides can use that lengthen or shorten the straps, and Nemisis has "Big" seats that give a little more room for up to 2 riders. There are ways to do this. You will be fine I suspect as my 7 year only rode it.

I'm sure I will - I'm fine on over the shoulder restraints, although I do often get my ears boxed on SM.

Looking at the photos I've seen of RC, I don't think it could fit big seats in without losing ride capacity which is obviously not ideal.

Did you find it was the belt that was the problem or the OTSR not being able to come down?

I do wonder if the nature of the ride means it requires tighter restraints than a standard coaster. After all, you spend a lot of a coaster being forced into your seat by the G. If RC is like a swinging ship then I should image there is more air time. A bit like AIR actually which has some of the tightest restraints I've ever felt on a ride!
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

CafeFantasia

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"That's not fair, there are some much nicer areas:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... afffd3a3da

Ok, fair point. I was just trying to give an example of what Wild Asia looks like. It was the best photo I could find on Flickr.

RockNRoller

Boy has this topic died a death, hope that doesnt mean the rides have too. Do we know if they are still having "technical" problems, are the que times still up to 2 hours? Anyone?
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

littlemermaid83

Anyone know if the barriers are still up?
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Malin

QuoteBoy has this topic died a death, hope that doesnt mean the rides have too. Do we know if they are still having "technical" problems, are the que times still up to 2 hours? Anyone?

Does anyone care anymore. This place is one massive disappointment. I think the only reasons this thread recieved so much attention in the first place was because you had Members like davewasbaloo and Timmy speaking out against the place which kept the discussion going. Now that the place is built and everyone can see in person how crap this place actually is, the need to defend it has gone. Personally I feel that there is more going on in the world of Disney that deserves my attention than anything thats going on in Paris at the moment. Next year for instance Disneyland will be debuting a new parade, Mickey's Soundsational and Star Tours II. Disney's California Adventure opens the Little Mermaid. Tokyo DisneySea celebrates its 10th Anniversary with a new Fantasmic show. Oh and Hong Kong Disneyland will also be celebrating its 5th Anniversary which will include a new Parade. Aulani opens in Hawai and the D23 Expo returns. And what do we have to look forward to in Paris another lame Festival.

Everyone do yourself a massive favour. Unless you can't afford it. Please take your Disney Holidays else where next year. Because I just don't feel Disneyland Paris deserves your hard earned Euro. When all it can offer you back is cheap Carnival rides.

ed-uk

i'm looking forward to TSPL opening at HKDL in 2011/12. I wonder how people will react to it there? i expect  many Disney theme park fans will like it better in the magic kingdom at HKDL. Or should we do ourselves a massive favour and not go there? New parade for their 5th or not. Boycott DLP and it'll go bankrupt and we'll never have to go there again. I will be going back to DLP next year.
Ed & David

DopeyDad

Sorry Malin, I have to disagree, I don't see TSPL as a massive disappointment and I think your suggestion that people should avoid DLRP because it somehow only has carnival rides to offer now seems a bit churlish to be honest. But yes, there are far more interesting things going on around the world and this area is now complete with people either enjoying it or not. Davewasbaloo has made some very interesting observations about this project as well as many others, I'm not sure what you are hoping to do with this thread by suggesting a boycott, personally I suspect that the real reason there is little to add to this topic is precisely because there is little more to add except perhaps people whatever their views on it trying to claim some kind of victory, which seems very pointless. It's all there for everyone to see or go to if they wish, I'd be amazed if it somehow puts people off going. But hey, you obviously care deeply about Disney to have such strong feelings about it. Smiley faces to try to stop the tone being misread  :)