Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ed-uk

I will ignore his comments. I agree with you on that bit. But I'm still a WDS/TSPL Fan.
Ed & David

pussinboots

Quote from: "dagobert"Why are all people answering and commenting on TTT's posts? If you don't like what he is writting then just ignore it, like I do. All his recent posts are to make people feel bad. I'm also not a fan of TSPL, but at least I want to have a possibility to post my views, postive or negative, but I try not to insult anybody here.

And by the way TTT, we already know that you don't like it. Maybe you are happy to hear that there is a rumour that WDI will not design Shanghai Disneyland and so maybe the new park will be better than recent attractions and parks.

It's just the repetitiveness. There is no need to make your point 4,327 times; you will only annoy people. The same goes for the clever, masturbative protest movement he is up against, by the way.

So yes, it's probably a good idea to either say nothing or say something remotely original. Or witty. Everyone likes a joke.

Anyway...

PetiteSirene

The reason people are reacting is probably for the same reason its annoying me... Every thread I have read that TTT has commented on he has brought TSPL into it. Seriously its getting old -_- we get the point, he hates TSPL, no need to ram it down everyones throats.

I wonder if they will add Toy Story meet and greet areas here? They have some amazing new ones in Florida, it would be great to have an area to meet Buzz... I know Woody has the round up village but Buzz doesnt, it would be great for the kids who love him. I know he sometimes comes out in the main park outside the ride but I personally have never seen him :S

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

Scissorsboi

I'd quite like them to put a Buzz area by his ride, and then have some of the more rare characters in there, maybe even bring over a Lotso and have an area there by the domino wall for him to be in (you could even have a Chuckles figure peeking over the top of them in the background!). Or as I said before, it's be nice to see one of the Mr Potato Head figures added in the future!

This area actually has a lot of potential for future expansion/changes, you could do a playground area (something which WDS has a severe lack of), with the K-Nex fencing continuing up into a big structure housing slides etc. The possibilities are endless really! Would have been nice to see a few fountains in the summer, a giant hosepipe themed mister maybe?
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

DopeyDad

@petitesirene "I wonder if they will add Toy Story meet and greet areas here?"

I seem to remember that early on in development WDI insisted there wouldn't be meet and greet locations in TSPL, the characters being our size wouldn't fit the scale of the attractions and statues etc. No idea where I read that but pretty sure.

luke85

Here's a tip; if you add someone to your "foes" list, it hides all of their posts so you don't have to read them... ;)

But back to TSPL, I liked what I've seen so far from the pics and videos, especially the musical loop that you can hear playing in the videos! I thought the lighting looked great too :)

PetiteSirene

Thats a shame if its true... in WDW I met Woody outside Toy Barn which was normal sized. I think DLP needs more meet and greet areas due to their relaxed views on non fixed character meet and greets -_-

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

claire2281

Quote from: "PetiteSirene"I know Woody has the round up village but Buzz doesnt, it would be great for the kids who love him. I know he sometimes comes out in the main park outside the ride but I personally have never seen him :S

Buzz had regular meet and greets outside Toon Studios when I was there last month. He was on the programme and everything :)
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

MattyD24

sometimes i ask myself if the magic forum is a good place to interact with other Disney fans, but i'm not gonna let alot of negative comments about this addition, ruin it for me  :)

WDS needed the extra rides and whenever i make my next trip to DLP, i'll definitely be making a visit into TSPL  :)

besides the themeing really makes the area look good aswell, just the kind of quality Disney are known for is the themeing and attention to detail...

Disneyland Paris
Disney\'s Hotel Santa Fe 1996, 1999, 2005
Davy Crockett Ranch 2011?

Walt Disney World Resort Florida
Off-Site 2002, 2008

penfold12

Well, I haven't posted for a while, and have just read quite a few pages. Just wanted to say, the reason why people are getting so upset, is the tone and vitriol coming from TTT and Disneydave. I can see and understand your point, but just re read some of your posts and maybe you will understand the backlash??

As for the area itself.... Well it's not my cup of tea, and the fact that it is plastic and primary colours, does make it look cheap when compared to the likes of phantom manor etc. However.... It's toys, so hey, on the whole they are plastic and cheap!

I think the attention to detail is good, the filtered pictures display just how good the theming really is, as they look like the models built to promote the area!,

So, on the whole, I think kids will absolutely love this area. And to that I think the imagineers have done a sterling job. Great.

I can pick faults as by the fact that the design is of plastic toys, it doesn't have the same draw and depth for me as some of the classic attractions. It's gaudy, bright and plastic, just like the playroom when the kidsbhave gone crazy.

However, one major concern, I wonder how this will look in a harsh cold winter? Bright primary colours and plastic I suspect will look very cheap and tacky in the winter.

Secondly, the upkeep on this need to be high if its going to work, theme wise, rain stains and green moss/alge growing on Rex's teeth of Buzz will not look so good!

disneyrules

I think everyting so far looks really good, I really want to go there soon but i am not going untill next year now.

It is a shame there wont be a meet and greet  :( i was looking forward to seeing lotso there.
But if they ever decide to add one i would love them to add some new characters to meet like zurg which would be quite cool or even barbie and ken.
They can change the characters every few days like one day you meet woodie and jessie the next lotso and buzz and then the new characters. I would also really like them to have Bo peep doing meet and greets there.
So i do really hope they change there minds and add meet and greets, which would really add to the experience.
I only hope that we don\'t lose sight of one thing,that it was all started by a mouse[size=150] Walt Disney
[/size]

:pluto:  :mickey1:

Malin

Absolutely hate it. The rides look too big and industrial and the props and theming feels cheap. Perhaps a new low for Imagineering. Carnival rides like the ones found at TSPL can when done right be charming. I bring your attention to the recently re opened Silly Symphony Swings at DCA. Illustrating one of Walt's classic animated movies. In a way a fitting tribute. RC Racer and Toy Soldiers Parachute Jump on the other hand are just a lazy and cheap effort to add new attractions without having to pay for the theming.

I also had not realise until watching the videos just how stupid the decision it was to have the Tower of Terror located in the centre of the park. The other Tower of Terror attractions are all located to one side of the park in the corner. So where ever you stand you still get the view of the front of the building with the Hollywood Hotel sign. If your standing in TSPL and looking at the attraction you end up with a side view. I am starting to wish the park had created another Flik's Fun Fair for this area of the park. At least everything is well themed. What we have here is just ugly and cheap looking.

This just proves my point about Disneyland Paris. For every right decision the Resort makes. It than does takes a step backwards. The addition of the Tower of Terror and Crush were seen as positives steps for the Studios. And now its taken a step back by creating this crap. But oh well at least Tom Staggs has somewhere to take his young boys at the Studios. I just hope they will be tall enough to meet the height requirement for RC Racer.

In support of others like Timmy he has every right to point out the flaws of this new addition. For the ones defending TSPL I ask you how cheap and tacky could Disney go before any of you speak out against the Company?

pussinboots

Quote from: "Malin"Absolutely hate it. The rides look too big and industrial and the props and theming feels cheap. Perhaps a new low for Imagineering. Carnival rides like the ones found at TSPL can when done right be charming. I bring your attention to the recently re opened Silly Symphony Swings at DCA. Illustrating one of Walt's classic animated movies. In a way a fitting tribute. RC Racer and Toy Soldiers Parachute Jump on the other hand are just a lazy and cheap effort to add new attractions without having to pay for the theming.

I also had not realise until watching the videos just how stupid the decision it was to have the Tower of Terror located in the centre of the park. The other Tower of Terror attractions are all located to one side of the park in the corner. So where ever you stand you still get the view of the front of the building with the Hollywood Hotel sign. If your standing in TSPL and looking at the attraction you end up with a side view. I am starting to wish the park had created another Flik's Fun Fair for this area of the park. At least everything is well themed. What we have here is just ugly and cheap looking.

This just proves my point about Disneyland Paris. For every right decision the Resort makes. It than does takes a step backwards. The addition of the Tower of Terror and Crush were seen as positives steps for the Studios. And now its taken a step back by creating this crap. But oh well at least Tom Staggs has somewhere to take his young boys at the Studios. I just hope they will be tall enough to meet the height requirement for RC Racer.

In support of others like Timmy he has every right to point out the flaws of this new addition. For the ones defending TSPL I ask you how cheap and tacky could Disney go before any of you speak out against the Company?

It seems to me that some people confuse the choice of theme for the execution of one. If you dislike the Toy Story theme for being plasticky or gaudy, then that's fine, but that doesn't mean they haven't done a good job with that theme. The props don't look cheap and obviously aren't cheap at all, either, they're just not Victorian or Indiana Jones-ish or whatever you would rather see. And frankly I don't think everything Disney builds has to be Victorian or Indiana Jones-ish.

And I absolutely fail to see why you would prefer Flik's Fun Fair to Toy Story Playland. You would rather see big fake-looking clovers with tarp covering? At least all that plastic looks at home in Toy Story Playland; in A Bug's Land it just looks phony. And even worse, Flik's Fun Fair was one of Disney's much-lamented "themed carnivals that were still carnivals" from the early 2000s. At least Toy Story Playland ditched that concept.

In that same vein, you mention Crush as a more promising development than Playland — but Crush was thrown into a sky blue sound stage and surrounded by a jumble of incoherent scenery. Was that a more "Disney" thing to do than the meticulous environment they've created in Playland? I think not.

As for the Tower of Terror placement, yes, well, duh. Welcome to that club. Tony Baxter has membership forms.

Malin

QuoteIt seems to me that some people confuse the choice of theme for the execution of one. If you dislike the Toy Story theme for being plasticky or gaudy, then that's fine, but that doesn't mean they haven't done a good job with that theme. The props don't look cheap and obviously aren't cheap at all, either, they're just not Victorian or Indiana Jones-ish or whatever you would rather see. And frankly I don't think everything Disney builds has to be Victorian or Indiana Jones-ish.

The theme is not the issue here its the quality of theming used. I do not look at stuff like the Barrel of Monkey's and the fencing and think wow there most of spent a fortune on this place. If it was not for the use of Pixar Characters or the Tower of Terror sticking up from the bamboo. You could easily be mistaken for thinking these pictures could of been taken from any themepark across Europe. What makes TSPL except for the Toy Story Characters stand out as a Disney park? I'm looking for that Disney difference and I just don't see it here. I will not credit them for creating a cheap looking environment even if that was the intention.

QuoteAnd I absolutely fail to see why you would prefer Flik's Fun Fair to Toy Story Playland. You would rather see big fake-looking clovers with tarp covering? At least all that plastic looks at home in Toy Story Playland; in A Bug's Land it just looks phony. And even worse, Flik's Fun Fair was one of Disney's much-lamented "themed carnivals that were still carnivals" from the early 2000s. At least Toy Story Playland ditched that concept.

A Bugs Land has charm and the attractions are well themed for its environment. I look at Flik's Flyers and marvel over the little details like the vehicles all themed to resemble empty food packaging. Than I look at Toy Soldiers or RC Racer and I don't see any of that detail. These are large industrial looking rides that have had minimum effort given to them. I can ride Heimlich's Chew Chew Train and its full of heart and humour. I fail to see how I would get the same enjoyment out of riding a TSPL ride. You make the point that TSPL ditched the Carnival concept. This makes me appreciate Flik's Fun Fair even more. Its honest about what it is and does not try and be something its not.

QuoteIn that same vein, you mention Crush as a more promising development than Playland — but Crush was thrown into a sky blue sound stage and surrounded by incoherent, basic scenery. Was that a more "Disney" thing to do than the meticulous environment they've created in Playland? I think not.

Crush fits in well with the rest of the Studio soundstages. What Imagineering did with Crush fits in more with the original theme of the Studios than TSPL in my opinion. And what about the inside of that building. Detailed loading area and a fairly good coaster that does offer some nice dark ride moments and heck even a bit of story thown in too!

pussinboots

I agree with you on the RC Racer and the Parachute Drop; frankly I don't care much about them as I would never go on one of those rides anyway. (Reason 1: I'm an adult.) But they are indeed ugly and only barely passable as themed Disney rides. (The Flik's Fun Fair rides are to my eyes only marginally better themed, but anyway.)

However, I see the K'Nex railings and the floorwork and the dominos and the little perk with the enormous grass blades and the ball in it, or the Tinkertoys playfully standing amongst well-trimmed hedges shaped like model set trees, and I see the first 360-degree, "immersive," themed environment at the park. I see a theme commendably well-executed, I see old fashioned Disney standards. (And no I am not forgetting about the Tower of Terror, which lest we forget still stands in the middle of concreteville.) And I don't understand how you don't see this, how you think that this is somehow something from an inferior European amusement park. It's simply not.

The original studios concept was to have a gathering of sound stages, yes, and don't we all love that... Crush, on that subject, is a so-so ride in a hideous building in a land that makes no sense whatsoever. So this, to me, is a step up...