Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest3474

Call me sad, but the most exciting bit of the project was the barrel of monkeys at the end there- a well though out outlet, well-themed and designed maybe apart from the internal units not being to scale - but you can blame the merchandising and sales department for that, not imagineering.  :thumbs:

I'd be lying if I was to say that I am still not excited.. The whole land seems somewhat magical after the last two updates (major thanks to dlp.info for keeping us updated, unfortunately DLRP Today seems to be somewhat abandoned?), and the barrel of monkeys makes me think alot of Midway Mania which I feel the studios would benefit majorly from.

Yes the land doesn't have toilets or a permanent eatery - a themed Coke stand will arrive later in the month - , but both those will be catered for in the Ratatouille area where I am led to believe there will be a lack of a boutique.

disneyrules

The barrel of monkey outlet looks very impressive. I hope they sell some really good toy story merchandise there and even some new exclusive to toy story playland items :thumbs:
I only hope that we don\'t lose sight of one thing,that it was all started by a mouse[size=150] Walt Disney
[/size]

:pluto:  :mickey1:

JelleP

I hope they'll sell the official Toy Story Collection toys! Since I can't find them anywhere here...
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

pussinboots

Wow, is this California Adventure or the Walt Disney Studios?

I got excited about the shop too — you can actually walk inside it! Never mind the scale. I wonder what it's called, though? Barrel of Monkeys? Sounds like a copyright infringement somehow.

DopeyDad

Quote from: "danwills"Its seems that a large portion of yourselves fail to understand what this project is all about. There is a need for a new area to satisfy the needs of families in a quality environment, a need that could not be fulfilled by one attraction added to an existing land. From the photos added Toy Story Playland shows great build quality despite your personal preferences. In addition, please don't forget the current financial situation for both the company and the recent worldly events, they are not the same. Please take this into consideration. Your large attraction will come soon.

I think that's a fair point Danwillis, and it's nice to get an American perspective on things too, thanks for your contribution.

DLP-Photos.com

Quote from: "pussinboots"Never mind the scale.

I'd like to stay as positive as possible, but isn't this sad that we have to say "never mind the scale". It is this type of details that usually in my world differs Disney attractions from minor theme park attractions (I'll no longer sink as low as carnival), but in this situation it does not. It just lack that last finishing in my opinion and that is sad.
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

pussinboots

Quote from: "forza_united"I'd like to stay as positive as possible, but isn't this sad that we have to say "never mind the scale". It is this type of details that usually in my world differs Disney attractions from minor theme park attractions (I'll no longer sink as low as carnival), but in this situation it does not. It just lack that last finishing in my opinion and that is sad.

Look, I can be every bit as critical as you and Maarten, but you have to pick your battles!

To me, the Disney difference is when it's obvious that the Imagineers have thought things through. I despise things like the Last Chance Cafe add-on, where it's pretty clear that the designers have not consulted the architecture aisle at the library but instead whipped something up from some vague recollection of old Clint Eastwood movies. Or Buzz in Discoveryland, where the "thematic transition" Disney usually excels at consists of the binding power of the color purple. But at Toy Story Playland, it's evident that they knew exactly what they were doing, and in my opinion they've done it well. I'm sure they were aware of these slight scale issues, but decided it was the only way to go (after all, the shop is small enough as it is.)

The same thing goes for these trees everyone is pointing to — They may have been forced to keep those, and we'll just have to pretend they're weeds.

You have these little illusion-breakers everywhere. Why is there a 19th-century train puffing over Star Tours? Because they thought it would be better than having it stop in Fantasyland. That doesn't make it Backlot or Six Flags quality.

DLP-Photos.com

Quote from: "pussinboots"
Quote from: "forza_united"I'd like to stay as positive as possible, but isn't this sad that we have to say "never mind the scale". It is this type of details that usually in my world differs Disney attractions from minor theme park attractions (I'll no longer sink as low as carnival), but in this situation it does not. It just lack that last finishing in my opinion and that is sad.

Look, I can be every bit as critical as you and Maarten, but you have to pick your battles!

To me, the Disney difference is when it's obvious that the Imagineers have thought things through. I despise things like the Last Chance Cafe add-on, where it's pretty clear that the designers have not consulted the architecture aisle at the library but instead whipped something up from some vague recollection of old Clint Eastwood movies. Or Buzz in Discoveryland, where the "thematic transition" Disney usually excels at consists of the binding power of the color purple. But at Toy Story Playland, it's evident that they knew exactly what they were doing, and in my opinion they've done it well. I'm sure they were aware of these slight scale issues, but decided it was the only way to go (after all, the shop is small enough as it is.)

The same thing goes for these trees everyone is pointing to — They may have been forced to keep those, and we'll just have to pretend they're weeds.

You have these little illusion-breakers everywhere. Why is there a 19th-century train puffing over Star Tours? Because they thought it would be better than having it stop in Fantasyland. That doesn't make it Backlot or Six Flags quality.

As previously said I think the imagineers has done a reasonable job within the theme - the theme is giving to many barriers to be as creative at they use to be. And this is why I am into finding these little illusion-breakers, because in an area like this that isn't as immersive as other things, they seem to be bigger than in for instance Tower of Terror.

The trains has always been some kind of illusion-breaker, but two things are talking against this IMO:

1. The train is a tradition from the very old Disneyland Park.

2. For instance by Star Tours it is going by the attraction not through it - you absorbed into the Star Wars themening when you enter the attraction. This specific problem with the Barrel of Monkeys is that the illusion breaker is inside the store. That is completely different from Star Tours and the train.

I have also said that I still hope to be proofed wrong by walking around the area. I am not just negative to be negative - I have previously made a well thought trough list of my sights on this area (bad as well as positive). This was completely ignored, so I am sorry to say, but I feel that you have to be a bit over the top in this topic to get your views through, which is sad.
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "Tuvok"I realy like this one with the Tower in the background and green all around:

Do you think it looks like Andy´s garden?

pussinboots

This does:

Quote from: "forza_united"As previously said I think the imagineers has done a reasonable job within the theme - the theme is giving to many barriers to be as creative at they use to be. And this is why I am into finding these little illusion-breakers, because in an area like this that isn't as immersive as other things, they seem to be bigger than in for instance Tower of Terror.

The trains has always been some kind of illusion-breaker, but two things are talking against this IMO:

2. For instance by Star Tours it is going by the attraction not through it - you absorbed into the Star Wars themening when you enter the attraction. This specific problem with the Barrel of Monkeys is that the illusion breaker is inside the store. That is completely different from Star Tours and the train.

I have also said that I still hope to be proofed wrong by walking around the area. I am not just negative to be negative - I have previously made a well thought trough list of my sights on this area (bad as well as positive). This was completely ignored, so I am sorry to say, but I feel that you have to be a bit over the top in this topic to get your views through, which is sad.

Well, I do agree that this kind of theme isn't as well-suited to the Imagineering tradition as, say, those of Tokyo DisneySea... Disney is better with recreating romanticized places, preferably set in about the 19th century. That's why they went back to familiar territory with Paradise Pier. They can't lose with Victorian!

But this is what they're stuck with, and considering that, the Imagineers have done a good job.

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "pussinboots"This does:

Quote from: "forza_united"As previously said I think the imagineers has done a reasonable job within the theme - the theme is giving to many barriers to be as creative at they use to be. And this is why I am into finding these little illusion-breakers, because in an area like this that isn't as immersive as other things, they seem to be bigger than in for instance Tower of Terror.

Well, I do agree that this kind of theme isn't as well-suited to the Imagineering tradition as, say, those of Tokyo DisneySea... Disney is better with recreating romanticized places, preferably set in about the 19th century. That's why they went back to familiar territory with Paradise Pier. They can't lose with Victorian!

But this is what they're stuck with, and considering that, the Imagineers have done a good job.

That picture was picture was fixed! The trees ruin it. It just doesn´t work.

-breeno-

Quote from: "TimmyTimmyTimmy"
Quote from: "Tuvok"I realy like this one with the Tower in the background and green all around:

Are you referring to the ToT being in view?  There's nothing that can be done there, it isn't like it could be covered up with some 'grass'.  Plus a different positioning of the land wouldn't help it either as the huge structure can been seen from Sequoia Lodge!
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

ed-uk

We can see the TOT in the distance coming in on the EuroStar. It's one of those unavoidable illusion-breakers we've been talking about. TTT doesn't like TSPL, or WDS from what I can gather, so it makes no difference whatever they do as far as he is concerned. He doesn't like it.
Ed & David

Tuvok

Quote from: "TimmyTimmyTimmy"

Is this the point where I should say 'something' negative to make your day? Unfortunately I can't, because I realy like this 'view'. It has all the colorful elements and greenery from TSP and it has the Tower. Nothing to dislike here, in my HUMBLE opinion. Sure, if they built Toy Story Mania in stead of TSP, I would be happier yes, but considering there have built TSP, I can only say the theming is excellent for what it is.

Just registred for the Avant-Premiere for Dream passholders next saturday, so I can see it with my own eyes. Looking forward to it!
DLRP Fan Blog > The Magic of Disneyland Resort Paris (Dutch DLRP Fan Blog)

TimmyTimmyTimmy

If the park had a better layout the tower wouldn´t interfere. In DisneySEA the tower is visible from many places of the park. But it doesn´t strike you like this one does. Why? well this tower is placed in a way that makes it look missplaced from some angles. But that is not the big problem. The worst thing is the still the trees. It is not supposed to be a bonzai garden. Even if I liked the theme and the rides and loved Toy Story the trees still would spoil the view. They simply brake the illusion and together with the tower it all falls flat. Once again does this park show that it was built after a bad plan. All the areas melt into one mish mash as the park is called on many other forums.