Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigrossco

great update DisneyDavid but always so amazed how you have no body walking int he background!
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

dagobert

Nice to see that I'm not the only one who dislikes TSPL. The idea behind TSPL is not so bad, the land really doesn't fit into the Studios Park. If Disney had chosen smaller rides I would be fine. The whole Hollywood feeling is destroyed when you stand in front of the ToT and you look to your right and you see this ugly green tower. At least it is not built in the Disneyland Park, like in Hong Kong.

I've just received the new WDI book, unfortunately I haven't seen any TSPL concept arts in the book. When you read this book with these great pictures and concept arts of all the attractions, it makes you a little bit angry about TSPL.

Now all my hopes lie on the Ratatouille dark ride.

montaguewarner

Quote from: "dagobert"Nice to see that I'm not the only one who dislikes TSPL. The idea behind TSPL is not so bad, the land really doesn't fit into the Studios Park. If Disney had chosen smaller rides I would be fine. The whole Hollywood feeling is destroyed when you stand in front of the ToT and you look to your right and you see this ugly green tower. At least it is not built in the Disneyland Park, like in Hong Kong.

I was going to say, although our standards for a second Disney park in a Resot shouldn't be lower, they normally are (cue TimmyTimmyTimmy with a DisneySea comment  ;) only kidding) But Just think about our pals over in HKDL, i Would go and rip it down myself if TSPL was built in a MAGIC KINGDOM stlye park! I would die! How awful for them, also they made the mistake of putting it behind on the left of fantasyland.

"Look mum there's the castle...with a huge green tower and orange track behind it :o "
Past Visits
DLP - JUN 2005 - Val D\'Europe
DL - APR 2006 - Disneyland Hotel
DLP - AUG 2009 - Val D\'Europe
DLP - JUL 2010 - Val D\'Europe
DLP - JUN 2011 - Val D\'Europe

tubbsy

The thing is everyone has got a good point. I like the idea of TSPL. Its great to have more rides in the park and our kids (and me-but not RC too scary! :lol:!) want to ride them. I think the idea of TSPL is great-being in Andys backyard and the rides (yes they are off the top of the shelf) are fun. Bringing greenery to such a bare place (as I have said before I havent been since TOT and Hollywood Blvd opened-so just remember studios being very grey) is wonderful.
(BTW- like the video DisneyDave-bloopers is good too :lol:)
But its a shame (was going to put worried but sounded too melodramatic) that the rides ae so visible from other parts of the park. The theming is at a juxtposition to everything else in Studios.
Montaguewarner-well said-Can you imagine if we saw these poking over our beloved castle? Then I would be meoldramatic and say I was seriously worried!
I am just hoping our imagineers have a big plan in mind. Why should Studios be second best?
I am feeling :s :|  :? Can I sit on the fence on this one for a while longer-maybe even til August?

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

Festival Disney

New Pic from DCP!

Slinky Dog is looking good...   :P
Also notice the baby monitor prop on the far right, the lincoln logs in the middle and the Ball... the themeing is all coming together now!  :thumbs:
http://disneycentralplaza.englishboard. ... 02-480.htm
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

DLP-Photos.com

Well - now we are close(r) to a final product... And I am a bit :(/ :)

Bad things:

I still do not like the choice of attractions - mainly because of their capacity and a bit because of their "wildness" being a kids-orientated area.

It fits in no way within the theme of the studio - unless some kind of story-making of you visiting the Toy Story set will be highlighted in the last minute.

And the worst argument - too much Toy Story in the resort! :lol:

Good things:

It has bright colors (except the army green) which will lighten up the studios a bit.

The themening around the land and queues seems great - sorry the attractions themselves lack it a bit.

It is yet another step away from the "parking lot" feel that everyone has been tired of (me included).

3 -'s and 3 +'s - I will put the final thoughts on it when I have seen it in July and maybe in action in my very much pre-planning-state christmas trip.
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

Disneydavid

There has also released some pictures about the forest that have been cut down for... RATATOUILLE!!!

BTW. We want to orginise a Toystory Play Day! on august 18/19 (on saterday!) , I , David , and the boy on this vid. will be there also;)

[youtube:3854l85j]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFjPO9QiTEQ[/youtube:3854l85j] (boy with the orange clothes... you don't have to start the vid...)

DLP MP3 - The only podcast with onrides RIGHT from the Resort! With ToT ,SM:M2 , Crush\'s Coaster , Star Tours, Peter Pan,  Stitch Live , Panoramique , BTM  and Pirates of the Carribbean! !
For iTunes ] and MP3!

Newest episode.... Toy Story Playland The Tour and Rc RACER!

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "montaguewarner"
Quote from: "dagobert"Nice to see that I'm not the only one who dislikes TSPL. The idea behind TSPL is not so bad, the land really doesn't fit into the Studios Park. If Disney had chosen smaller rides I would be fine. The whole Hollywood feeling is destroyed when you stand in front of the ToT and you look to your right and you see this ugly green tower. At least it is not built in the Disneyland Park, like in Hong Kong.

I was going to say, although our standards for a second Disney park in a Resot shouldn't be lower, they normally are (cue TimmyTimmyTimmy with a DisneySea comment  ;) only kidding) But Just think about our pals over in HKDL, i Would go and rip it down myself if TSPL was built in a MAGIC KINGDOM stlye park! I would die! How awful for them, also they made the mistake of putting it behind on the left of fantasyland.

"Look mum there's the castle...with a huge green tower and orange track behind it :o "

A playland is great idea. It may even fit very well in a Magic Kingdom. There is a place to discover jungles, the future and fairytales... and a place to play, where visitors are equals to the toys. But toys do NOT fit in any way in movie and tv studio. There is nothing in the toys that has anything to do with studios more than the fact that the Toy Story movies were made in one. Just odd to have a movie park... and a playland. Just as odd as Carsland in DCA. The difference is that Carsland will be great. It´s the way the rides look and take over the entire park they are placed in WDS that any true Walt Disney Disneyland fan would hate.
Toy Story the way it is being made in Paris and Hong Kong is not a god thing. WDS needs to get themed and HKDL just need new rides in excisting lands. As I have said a hundred times. This project is looking worse and worse. It amazes me that they don´t plant more trees in the park to hide those orange things sticking up everywhere.
If you can´t build a good thing don´t build anything at all!

...by the way... DisneySEA is getting yet another carnival type of ride. The park has an entire area with these types of rides. The difference is that the carnival rides areas in DisneySEA look amazing! It´s like entering another world. One can almost feel the spirit of Walt Disney when inside DisneySEA, Tokyo´s second gate and the best themepark in the world.

RockNRoller

I keep seeing the phrase carnival ride coming up time and again but isnt that what a lot of Disney rides are, Lancelots Carousel, Dumbo, Flying Carpets, even POTC (my favourite ride) is a variation on a log flume but what makes them great and Disney is the themeing. Were all judging unfinished rides where the Disney element has still to be added, give it a chance you may be surprised on opening day
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "RockNRoller"I keep seeing the phrase carnival ride coming up time and again but isnt that what a lot of Disney rides are, Lancelots Carousel, Dumbo, Flying Carpets, even POTC (my favourite ride) is a variation on a log flume but what makes them great and Disney is the themeing. Were all judging unfinished rides where the Disney element has still to be added, give it a chance you may be surprised on opening day

Fantasyland never was the big pride of any Disneyland. That´s why they change it all of the time. The one in Paris looks good enough though...
POTC is nothing alike what is being built in WDS, that is for sure.
WDS is not a carnival!!... oh yea... now it is.
...element schmelements. It´s cheap and elements are kept at a minimum.
POTC... now there are some elements!

RockNRoller

[quote="TimmyTimmyTimmy WDS is not a carnival!!... oh yea... now it is.
POTC... now there are some elements![/quote]

WDS isn't a carnival a small area of it is being worked on not the whole park and how can you say there are no elements, what about the tinker toys and the bamboo and all the oversized props, so its not as extensive as POTC,  you cant expect every ride to be a POTC or PM or TOT

RockNRoller

Sorry you didn't say no elements, my bad but there are still some good elements

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "RockNRoller"[quote="TimmyTimmyTimmy WDS is not a carnival!!... oh yea... now it is.

WDS isn't a carnival a small area of it is being worked on not the whole park and how can you say there are no elements, what about the tinker toys and the bamboo and all the oversized props, so its not as extensive as POTC,  you cant expect every ride to be a POTC or PM or TOT[/quote]

That´s the thing. Every ride should be as well done as POTC or atleast close to it. Dumbo and co will always be carnival rides but they are created like 60 years ago. Anything made by Disney today should be better than that. POTC should be the standard. WDS is just a mish mash of parking lots, fake backdrops and now carnival toys in a garden of... bamboo.
Bamboo... why?! They could atleast have created fake giant grass and flowers to place in the forefront so that it   looked like toys on the ground and not giant orange ...things... in a bamboo garden.

RockNRoller

Quote from: "TimmyTimmyTimmy"
Quote from: "RockNRoller"[quote="TimmyTimmyTimmy WDS is not a carnival!!... oh yea... now it is.

WDS isn't a carnival a small area of it is being worked on not the whole park and how can you say there are no elements, what about the tinker toys and the bamboo and all the oversized props, so its not as extensive as POTC,  you cant expect every ride to be a POTC or PM or TOT

That´s the thing. Every ride should be as well done as POTC or atleast close to it. Dumbo and co will always be carnival rides but they are created like 60 years ago. Anything made by Disney today should be better than that. POTC should be the standard. WDS is just a mish mash of parking lots, fake backdrops and now carnival toys in a garden of... bamboo.
Bamboo... why?! They could atleast have created fake giant grass and flowers to place in the forefront so that it   looked like toys on the ground and not giant orange ...things... in a bamboo garden.[/quote]

Couldnt agree more, POTC, PM, TOT should be the standard however I guess it all comes down to money. I dont know what TSPL is costing (anyone?) but its probably not as much as a POTC, whilst we may or may not like TSPL people will be attracted to it, particularily kids who will pester Mum and Dad to buy the merchandise which will bring in the money for the next POTC.

Martyn

Why have that entrance on the left? Thats some long way round!

And what purpose does the costum building hold? Its HUGE! Is it really needed? If that could go, they could have one large 'Toon' area of the studio's. All they'd need to do is add a few filming props to the area (Flying carpets style) and ta da, it would all fit it so much better!

Like what most people are saying, the TSPL idea is massive, and it WILL do wonders for the park, I just wish they could have been a bit more subtle with the rides, or have it in a different location.

I think a lot more people would like it if it wasn't in the centre of the Studio's. If they built this where the Costum building is, it would be much more popular, I bet!