Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owain

Quote from: "experiment627"
Quote from: "Owain"Well all i no is that this is definatly once step closer to the next exspansion  :D

Does anyone else remember the "Toilets of Terror"?  :mrgreen:

:lol: Hopefully this will be more of a development than the toilets or terror !  :P

Edit; Just saw raptors post and that definatly is a big development !

-breeno-

Quote from: "experiment627"
Quote from: "Owain"Well all i no is that this is definatly once step closer to the next exspansion  :D

Does anyone else remember the "Toilets of Terror"?  :mrgreen:

Yep  :mrgreen:  Was in them this year too (something i had to do this year :lol: ), they really should add something to it as a reminder about that incident :P

But i can't see this being more toilets anyway :P  As Kristof said the first phase has started.  I will be watching this closely :D
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

phantom247

I don't know what this work is for but I have recently been told by sources close to the project that the trees will not come down in earnest until at least Feb-March 09.

Anthony

First job is probably going to be digging out the berm there, isn't it? They can do a lot of work before even touching the trees.

Quote from: "experiment627"Does anyone else remember the "Toilets of Terror"?  :mrgreen:
Opening in 2009: Crater Land. :wink:

The Butlin Boy

Oooooooh! How exciting :mrgreen:

I really can't wait to see more development :)

penfold12

at last, another project tracker for us to watch!!! The trouble with the attraction built in the tv studios building was that there was little visible progress.... Now it's back to the daily Racing home, logging on, and checking for photo updates!

andrewuk

Don't they announce anything anymore? Crush just appeared on concept art, both this and Playhouse on a planning announcement. Why don't they want to tell the world what they are doing :?:
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

ford prefect

Quote from: "andrewuk"Don't they announce anything anymore? Crush just appeared on concept art, both this and Playhouse on a planning announcement. Why don't they want to tell the world what they are doing :?:

Why spoil the magic?  I remember sneaking a peek at my Christmas presents when I was a child.  Come Christmas morning I had no surprises, slightly disappointed parents (because my reaction was not the great joy they expected) and a slightly let down feeling.

The whole idea of the green fences at DLP is to hide the work and announce things when they are ready to show you the finished or nearly finished product.
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

experiment627

Quote from: "andrewuk"Don't they announce anything anymore? Crush just appeared on concept art, both this and Playhouse on a planning announcement. Why don't they want to tell the world what they are doing :?:

Probably because they want to tell the world to concentrate on what they're doing NEXT year and not 2010, 2011 or 2012...

Willow

Parks work in different ways. If Disney tell us now that something is happening in 2010 then it could put people off visiting next year and waiting until the new ride(s) opened.

As Alton Towers they are currently in family marketing mode (like they have been for the last few years) so they do not mention anything thrill related as it wouldn't give a family image.

andrewuk

Those replies make a lot of sense, thanks. If my french is right, according to Disney Central Plaza these new fences are just a new path for castmembers to get to their cars.

//http://disneycentralplaza.englishboard.net/disneyland-resort-paris-f6/autorisation-de-defricher-le-bois-du-parc-wds-t8599-140.htm
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

Anthony

...Although, that new path would then allow them to begin work where the old one is... It's the first step. :mrgreen:

As for the announcement of future projects, I agree with you Andrew. You weren't suggesting they advertise Toy Story Land ahead of next year's Mickey's Magical Party, like in the holiday brochures and so on, were you? The problem is that DLRP really should publish a press release, release some concept art, give a gushing account of how great the new project will be, like the other resorts do... but obviously through a different channel - as a news item on the press and corporate websites - again like the other resorts...

Personally I think most people actually just visit whenever they feel like it, I don't believe the public "postpone" trips, they're not as ridiculously well-informed as us, so announcing new attractions properly would actually get more people excited and more people preparing a visit than it would deter from coming for a few short years.

experiment627

Quote from: "Anthony"Personally I think most people actually just visit whenever they feel like it, I don't believe the public "postpone" trips, they're not as ridiculously well-informed as us, so announcing new attractions properly would actually get more people excited and more people preparing a visit than it would deter from coming for a few short years.

You're sure? When you're thinking about going to DLRP, or WDW, or Tokyo or wherever this year and then you read in your newspaper or in a travel magazine that the following year, this really cool ride is going to open, you wouldn't reconsider postponing your trip?

This year, I thought about giving Europa Park another chance... but then again, they're opening a new rollercoaster next year - so yeah, I can actually wait to return till their new stuff is up and running.

andrewuk

Quote from: "Anthony"...Although, that new path would then allow them to begin work where the old one is... It's the first step. :mrgreen:

As for the announcement of future projects, I agree with you Andrew. You weren't suggesting they advertise Toy Story Land ahead of next year's Mickey's Magical Party, like in the holiday brochures and so on, were you? The problem is that DLRP really should publish a press release, release some concept art, give a gushing account of how great the new project will be, like the other resorts do... but obviously through a different channel - as a news item on the press and corporate websites - again like the other resorts...

Yes, that was exactly what i was thinking that they should do.  =D> A press release and a post on the corporate part of the official website.
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

Anthony

Quote from: "experiment627"You're sure? When you're thinking about going to DLRP, or WDW, or Tokyo or wherever this year and then you read in your newspaper or in a travel magazine that the following year, this really cool ride is going to open, you wouldn't reconsider postponing your trip?
Well, I visited DLRP many times through the construction of Crush and Tower. DLRP could quietly announce Toy Story Land in January and I don't think it'd have a negative impact on Mickey's Magical Party. Obviously, if they didn't have anything new it'd be different, but they do have something to market between now and this project opening. Along with the regular crowd-pullers like Halloween and Christmas.

WDW or Tokyo would admittedly be different, you've got me there. I'd actually love to go to California most of all, but probably won't even begin looking into that until the DCA transformation is complete. But that's a huge project, and I'm a fan, what percentage of DLRP visitors are that clued up? I can't count the amount of posts we get just on this forum asking things like "Will x be open yet when I visit?", people having booked their trip for when the price and time is right for themselves and then only retrospectively checked the events schedule.

Concept art and a press release for Toy Story Mania was published in January 2007 - it didn't officially open till May 2008! It also just happened to be one of the most talked and written-about Disney attractions for years.

I'll admit I can't imagine Toy Story Land would work the same, because it's not exactly going to be revolutionary (though in WDS terms anything still will be), but for Ratatouille, The Little Mermaid... if they happen... I really hope DLRP tell people - tease people. They don't have to give everything away, just tear away a little corner of the wrapping paper.