Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbo

Quote from: "Annet"They keep saying august, but that also has 31 days...
I'm visiting the 15th and 16th of august, I really hope it'll be opened by then.
You may get lucky , we visited the Studios the month before ToT opened and they were trialling it with a soft opening ,but the times were very limited and it was not every day !! However it made the trip  :D

Anthony

johnd331

I already left a comment on DLRPToday. I'm not sure if it passes moderation, as I quite clearly stated my opinion of the whole thing.

It's becoming quite clear that this whole addition has nothing to do with Disney quality imagineering as we remember. To be honest, it's just plain bad and it deeply saddens me, that after they finally managed to turn things right around 2006, they now start to screw it up all over again.

Those things are large, ugly and intrusive from many angles. Heck, that ugly camouflage pole was clearly visible from BTM when I last visited, so that funfair contraption of a halfpipe will probably also be visible from there.

I seriously hope a bomb explodes right before opening and they can claim their insurance money to build something decent instead.

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "Anthony"New construction photos: http://www.dlrptoday.com/2010/03/01/rc- ... e-studios/

Talk about an ugly park. Uh!

luke85

Quote from: "johnd331"I seriously hope a bomb explodes right before opening and they can claim their insurance money to build something decent instead.

Really? I don't think it's wise to be hoping for things like that to happen, no matter how much you dislike TSPL.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Anthony"New construction photos: http://www.dlrptoday.com/2010/03/01/rc- ... e-studios/

Even though I like WDSP to a degree (some fab attractions, and it used to have brilliant live entertainment too), this has got to be one of the ugliest views in a Disney Themepark, heck, in almost any things park.

And you guys are happy about this or want to wait to give an opinion?

Stop the world, I wanna get off.
since 2001 (many before that)

ford prefect

I agree Dave!  At the moment it looks very ugly.

Ways it can be improved (without the the unlikely option of dismantling TSPL):
1) Remove the ugly column with Cinderella on it.
2) Have a themed queue barrier instead of that rope.
3) Paint that horrible grey wall
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

dagobert

That's definately an ugly view and the most annoying thing, besides TSPL, in this picture is the ugly grey light pole with Cinderella on it. They should have been removed during the placemaking. They fit quite well in the Backlot area, but not in the Toon Studios.

I think the park was heading in the right direction in 2007 and a lot of amtmosphere was added with ToT and the sitting area behind the Hollywood buildings to the park. In my opinion La Terrasse is a very relaxing place where you can enjoy these great non-alcoholic Perrier Cocktails.

Anthony

The things I hate in that photo are all leftovers from 2002. And the same in this one...

Look at those hideous speakers. I don't blame DLP for not having the huge billion dollar project of DCA, but I do blame it for not taking the same smart approach of trickling updates and improvements, the kind of general plussing (however small) that just came to a full stop at WDS several years ago.

Timbo

I was going to wait till opening before passing comment,but this is just awful !! It couldn't be further from the high standards Disney used to have , instead of improving the Studios it seems they want to run it into the ground ! After just coming back from WDW last week the differences between the US Studios and Paris are vast and I don't think they will ever achieve the atmosphere and themeing of Disney's Hollywood Studios (still want to say MGM Studios !)

pussinboots

So, Anthony, tell me, is this the most controversial topic you've seen so far on MagicForum and DLRP Today?

Martyn

I dont think it looks that bad. Its ment to be a land for kids etc, so its bound to be colourful. Doesn't the Magic Kingdom park also have an area similar to this at the back?

And to be honest, I have to hand it to DLP, wether you guys on here like it or not, they have improved the Studio's so much and its popularity is growing on a daily basis.

QTXAdsy

It's looks pretty...umm...I'm lost for words now.  :|  

My only hope now is that no one from MagicForum or DLRP Today all commit mass suicide over this area. Guys, we're getting this wherever we like it or not (And yes I don't like myself).

But listen, enough with this argument. It's going to get us all nowhere if we continue like this. [-X

Here Come The Belgians!

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"So, Anthony, tell me, is this the most controversial topic you've seen so far on MagicForum and DLRP Today?
Erm, yes. Although we weren't around back in 2002 to soak up that storm...

What's surprising is the unrelenting, universal, immediate criticism. Visit any European Disney or theme park forum and it's getting a kicking. And don't even dare read the American ones. I suppose it's a kind of perfect storm of "Walt Disney Studios" (ugh), "Disneyland Paris" (inferior), "fairground rides" (yes) and "Toy Story" (irrational dislike of Pixar rides). It being thrown ungraciously into the back of a certain Asian park it was never designed for hasn't helped the street cred.

Quote from: "QTXAdsy"My only hope now is that no one from MagicForum or DLRP Today all commit mass suicide over this area.
Yep, that's all we've got left to cling onto now, the hope that no-one will commit suicide! Ah, c'est magique!

pussinboots

So to summarize this page, Toy Story Playland hasn't yet caused a single known suicide and it's colorful.

I'm actually genuinely surprised at the amount of positivity... I think that if Euro Disney can produce something like this and still get this much positive feedback, they should look at George Lucas and consider themselves very lucky.