Disney Store at the Metro Centre

Started by Alpop, July 20, 2008, 10:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Javey74

Quote from: "MinniesBestPal"AWW! I wish we had gone! Those statues look so pretty!
Well I'd keep a lookout for the next batch of Disney Store refits, if there's any close to you then go... :wink:  :D

Mmmm, mentioning the miniature statues, just to let you know the head, arms, waist and feet swivel so you can put them in different poses aswell... :wink:  :D

MinniesBestPal

*is jealous*

Minnie Mouse!!! I don't have figures of her, only plushies and cushions...and er notepads and pencils and t shirts and ears and er...lots more... but no plastic figurines like that!

I think I'll survive... BUT FREE STUFF FROM THE DISNEY STORE!!! THEY BARELY EVER DO THAT!!! I'm gonna google for more disney openings!

Javey74

Quote from: "MinniesBestPal"*is jealous*

Minnie Mouse!!! I don't have figures of her, only plushies and cushions...and er notepads and pencils and t shirts and ears and er...lots more... but no plastic figurines like that!

I think I'll survive... BUT FREE STUFF FROM THE DISNEY STORE!!! THEY BARELY EVER DO THAT!!! I'm gonna google for more disney openings!
Well it's worth giving it ago, you might get to an opening day yet, and yes it is rare that the Disney Stores give anything away free, that is a fact.. :shock:  :shock:

Javey74

Update  :!:

Just been to the Disney Store tonight at the Metro Centre and got talking to one of the Management Team who said the Store will be officially opened in October by Mickey and Minnie, they will be cutting the ribbon.  No fixed date has been established yet, but she thinks it will be the Saturday of the Great North Run weekend, which would be Saturday 4th October.  Watch this space for further confirmations.. :wink:  :D

MinniesBestPal

October 4th...ok! *Goes to tell mum and dad*

Alpop

I'll try and be there.

We went to day and half of the rainbow colour changing entrance was not working. Probably a simple wiring issue. It's a great effect that is done well.

When we push Imogen in to the store the first thing she did was look up and up and up. They've created ridiculously tall stacks of shelves that reach to the ceiling. I spotted a set of shelves full of mugs, which I jokingly pointed to the top set saying "can I have that one?"

Another thing I spotted was how bright the store is. They must have tripled their lighting on the revamp.

I loved it, but again the queue seems to be too close to shelves, which made it awkward to get to the baby clothes.  There are also cracks on the top of Goofy's right ear, where it looks like the ears been bashed.

Javey74

Quote from: "Alpop"I'll try and be there.

We went to day and half of the rainbow colour changing entrance was not working. Probably a simple wiring issue. It's a great effect that is done well.

When we push Imogen in to the store the first thing she did was look up and up and up. They've created ridiculously tall stacks of shelves that reach to the ceiling. I spotted a set of shelves full of mugs, which I jokingly pointed to the top set saying "can I have that one?"

Another thing I spotted was how bright the store is. They must have tripled their lighting on the revamp.

I loved it, but again the queue seems to be too close to shelves, which made it awkward to get to the baby clothes.  There are also cracks on the top of Goofy's right ear, where it looks like the ears been bashed.
Yeah the colour on the top left, right hand entrance went out about 15 mins after we left the shop, last night.  So they haven't fixed it yet then... :mrgreen:

Some of the shelving is tall, as you say there is one with mugs on, the CM's use those hook grabbers to reach stock that is high up, I've watched them do it the first time I went in. The reason is to display more stock you can look at, it's space saving with going up rather than across, so if you want it and it's out of reach, just ask, which also inturn cuts down on breakages... :wink: Makes the store more spacious, I agree that the shelves need adjusting around the queing area, it does crowd up, especially if someone is looking at the DVD's and someone else wants the babies clothing stand.. :| I reckon they'll probably adjust this in time though... :)

By the way that statue of Goofy you mentioned, it will get changed every few months or so to a different character, and the Aurora in the shop was initially supposed to be for the window display but it was too big to get everthing else in, so they moved it into the store itself.. :wink:  :D

I only know this because when we went in last night one of the management team spotted Vanessa in her DLRP jacket, Jen in her Minnie Sweatshirt and me in my Donald jogger top and obviously thought...."Definite Disney Fans", I'll talk to these.  She asked what we thought of the new look, I had to mention how much brighter it was, like you already said Alpop, that's when she got talking about the official opening and some of the displays in the store, she was really nice... :wink:  :D

They are also supposed to be running with different themes in store every so often aswell, I'll have to keep a watch on this store definitely.. :D/  :D/

Captain Pan

Darn it I got a grading the following morning... I would... but... then I haven't got a reason to go to a Disney Store at the Moment... Brothers off to Uni and his is Oct 15th, Sister doesn't care about me and I her (theres something hidden there), and She's the fifth, and then mines even further away 22days later and its a bit early to do Christmas Shopping, slightly!

gerbillcat

Had a visit today. It looks so awesome it really does. Part of the lighting on the arch outside still doesn't appear to be working though and the Goofy statue definitely looks battered around the ears. But it's so bright and full of so much merchandise. I think I will try to be there for the grand opening with Mickey and Minnie  :) .

Anthony

Quote from: "Javey74"
Quote from: "MinniesBestPal"AWW! I wish we had gone! Those statues look so pretty!
Well I'd keep a lookout for the next batch of Disney Store refits, if there's any close to you then go... :wink:  :D
I think they've moved on to The Trafford Centre now.  Very impressed how fast they're finally rolling out the new stores. In time for the start of Christmas, I guess?

And now you've seen the swishy new Disney Store design, doesn't the faux-Disney Store in Disney Village with its broken props and 90s design look and feel like a market stall in comparison? :twisted:

Javey74

Quote from: "Anthony"
Quote from: "Javey74"
I think they've moved on to The Trafford Centre now.  Very impressed how fast they're finally rolling out the new stores. In time for the start of Christmas, I guess?

And now you've seen the swishy new Disney Store design, doesn't the faux-Disney Store in Disney Village with its broken props and 90s design look and feel like a market stall in comparison? :twisted:
Well now you come to mention it Anthony, you're right, a big letdown in comparison.  The question is, when will they get round to refurbishing this one... :roll:

Anthony

Quote from: "Javey74"Well now you come to mention it Anthony, you're right, a big letdown in comparison.  The question is, when will they get round to refurbishing this one... :roll:
Just to contradict myself, I'm guessing they won't. They're obviously still waiting for the World of Disney to be built, and the fact that that project has been pushed back for 5 years now is why the main DV store looks so old. It's not technically a Disney Store as we know them in the UK anyway.

Moved this topic into World of Disney rather than Blue Lagoon.

Javey74

:!:  :!:  :!: Important Alert   :!:  :!:  :!:

For those heading to the MetroCentre for the 4th October for the official opening...DON'T.  :(

The date has been changed, since they've just realised that it coincided with the Childrens Great North Run on the same day.  I've been told that it looks as though they are now having and official opening weekend on the 1st and 2nd of November.  But they gave me their telephone number and was told to ring them to confirm it for sure by the end of October.  So I'll keep you posted on this thread.  :wink:  :D

Alpop

In a way I'm relieved. We are going to the in laws Scarborough flat on the 4th, which would have caused a cufuffle.
Particularly as I've been postponing going for ages.

15MagicalYears

I was at the Metro Centre late September and it had the new look, it even had the Pixie Arc. . . :|