Disney Store at the Metro Centre

Started by Alpop, July 20, 2008, 10:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alpop

Just thought's I'd add quick report.

I was the Metro Centre, Gateshead yesterday and spotted that the Disney Store was all boarded up. The hoarding around it says that it's going through a refurbishment and should be open later in the summer.
This refurb is needed IMO the mickeys on the shop front seemed to be from the early 90's and very unlike the Mickey we see today. Hopefully this will be impressive when the boards come down.

The DIsney Store is also operating from a temporary shop around teh corner (it looks like an old Clintons Cards) They have a fancy sign, but the interior is just white slat board with white shelves.

Katie-Sparrow

I don't think the disney store's (by far) don't sell as nice stuff as disneyland paris shops do!
But i would like a disney store to open in bishop auckland lol. x
[size=200]Princess Katie[/size]

toonarmylass

you from bishop katie, im just down the road in aycliffe.
i remember feeling guily once in metro centre as i had to goo into the warner bros shop and get something and as they are so close to each other i had such shame :oops:

Anthony

Oh nice, maybe they're starting to roll out the new "concept" stores like in Manchester and Lakeside? The design is a bit like a cousin of the Apple stores rather than the old, cosier Disney Stores (remember when they had little animatronic scenes around the place?), but more colourful, glittery and very, VERY expensive-looking.

Lakeside

Manchester

QuoteNew features include a Pixie Arch which welcomes guests to the store and which is made up of fibre optic lights that change colour throughout the day giving a twinkling pixie dust effect.  Then, at the centre of the store is the 'Heart of Disney'; a 10 foot tower with a 360 degree wraparound screen showcasing clips from the latest Disney releases as well as details on upcoming events.

In addition to this there are new plasma screens around the store so that guests can 'shop and watch' in style as well as mini-plasma screens embedded into the cash and wrap area ensuring young shoppers are entertained too.

peep

Awesome, if Metro centre is getting the new re-fit then hopefully that means Bluewater (Kent) and the Glades (Bromley) will also get the new re-fit. These shopping centers are run by the same company and usually get the same stores etc. I've wanted the Bromley store to be updated ever since I heard these new re-fits were going to happen over here. I never get a chance to get to Lakeside so it would be a lot better for my local store to get it done too :P

I think the UK Disney stores get some excellent merchandise but I always find them to be too small and I think they should branch out into more clothing ranges for all ages.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Owain

Quote from: "Anthony"remember when they had little animatronic scenes around the place?

Cardiff's Disney Store still has all animatronics all around the store, ill have to get some photos :)

Captain Pan

Quote from: "Owain"
Quote from: "Anthony"remember when they had little animatronic scenes around the place?

Cardiff's Disney Store still has all animatronics all around the store, ill have to get some photos :)

I wish Swansea would get one... I don' get to go to Cardiff therefore I don't get to go to the Disney Store that often either... Now If it was at Swansea I could go once a week...  :D. Cardiff also has the little alcoves along the ramp if your heading towards the store from the rear of it!

Owain

Quote from: "Captain Pan"I wish Swansea would get one... I don' get to go to Cardiff therefore I don't get to go to the Disney Store that often either... Now If it was at Swansea I could go once a week...  :D. Cardiff also has the little alcoves along the ramp if your heading towards the store from the rear of it!
:shock: I thought there was one in swansea ?

Captain Pan

Quote from: "Owain"
Quote from: "Captain Pan"I wish Swansea would get one... I don' get to go to Cardiff therefore I don't get to go to the Disney Store that often either... Now If it was at Swansea I could go once a week...  :D. Cardiff also has the little alcoves along the ramp if your heading towards the store from the rear of it!
:shock: I thought there was one in swansea ?

If they did do you think I would be unemployed? No not something that's been added to Swansea as of yet... but there is the future.

Snow_White_Girl

I'm off to Manchester on Wednesday for a job interview, first point of call after I come out of that will be the Disney Store, I haven't been in it yet! I saw a Mickey bag in my local one that I had my eye on, when I went in today they'd sold it! :( I REALLY hope they've got it in the Manchester one as I want it for my trip on Thursday! :wink:

\":lamp:\"

Javey74

Quote from: "Alpop"Just thought's I'd add quick report.

I was the Metro Centre, Gateshead yesterday and spotted that the Disney Store was all boarded up. The hoarding around it says that it's going through a refurbishment and should be open later in the summer.
This refurb is needed IMO the mickeys on the shop front seemed to be from the early 90's and very unlike the Mickey we see today. Hopefully this will be impressive when the boards come down.

The Disney Store is also operating from a temporary shop around teh corner (it looks like an old Clintons Cards) They have a fancy sign, but the interior is just white slat board with white shelves.
Yeah I was in yesterday, I queried about the original store, which I was told was up for refurbishment, they are taking the warehouse further back, to make the store larger so that they can put more merchandise out.  Also the tills will be on the wall where the large screen used to be.  It was due for opening again 25th August 2008, but they have already applied for an extension.... :shock:  Must be taking longer than originally thought... :roll:  But at least it will be open by the end half of the summer at latest.. :D  :D/

MinniesBestPal

I really hope it opens before the end of summer! Thats like a mini Disneyland in itself!

Alpop

I'll see if I can get photos when it opens.

In the Manchester photo is that a special queue for when it opened?

Clarebelle

Were getting a new store in Norwich!! hope it looks like those ones in the photo ... will find out on Saturday!!! do mickeymouse ears count as fancy dress? I want a goody bag lol

I never knew they were animatronics in the stores! did they work? coz ours never have
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

Patrick

Being my "now" nearest Disney Store, I so hope they do a good job like the new design, I am probably one of the few people who really liked the old style, well was much nicer before they started messing with the place. Including getting rid of statues of characters and replacing them with cheap cutouts, ugh.  After the closing of Newcastle's store I just hope this means they are willing to spend money to do out the Metro one finally.  Think the last thing it got was a picture on the ceiling of Mickey outside Sleeping beauty's castle from Disneyland :roll: .  In a way though I hope they keep the Disney stores rather personalized, so each store is slightly different like they used to be.