[DLR] Sleeping Beauty Diorama to Reopen in November

Started by AmericanMouse, July 20, 2008, 06:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmericanMouse

The Sleeping Beauty Diorama within the castle at Disneyland in Anaheim, last opened in 2001 before the terrorists attacks closed the attraction because of security reasons, will reopen in November just in time for the release of the 1959 film on DVD and Blu-Ray...and for the holiday season as well.

Details: //http://www.disneylandnews.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=308

Disneyland Paris Treasures

That sounds quite awesome. Are there images or other material available online that show the "original" Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough ?

Katie-Sparrow

Where abouts in the sleeping beauty castle will the walkway be??? x
[size=200]Princess Katie[/size]

You sound so excited that I have to ask: you are aware that this is about Sleeping Beauty Castle, Disneyland in Anaheim?

AmericanMouse

Yes, Mobi.  That would be the original Sleeping Beauty Castle in California.

Here's Warner Weiss' wonderful history of departed Disney stuff here to learn more on the walkthrough diarama:

//http://www.yesterland.com/sbwalkthru.html

Maarten

Any news on Hong Kong's Sleeping Beauty Castle to get the Diorama aswell? This would be a very cheap and quick addition, and one of the few times I support cloning. In the end, both parks could benefit while splitting costs.

AmericanMouse

Maarten, I highly doubt that, even with the new Shanghai project going online after the Olympics in Beijing this fall.  The new castle there will be more than likely based on Rapunzel.

And then again, I've always thought Paris' castle was based off Beauty and the Beast myself instead of Sleeping Beauty.

Maarten

Quote from: "AmericanMouse"Maarten, I highly doubt that, even with the new Shanghai project going online after the Olympics in Beijing this fall.  The new castle there will be more than likely based on Rapunzel.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about cloning Anaheim's Sleeping Beauty Diorama to Hong Kong's Sleeping Beauty Castle, since their castle is exactly the same and sits empty. I remember reading an interview with an Imagineer during the opening of Hong Kong Disneyland where he stated that there is room left for a future addition to their castle.

AmericanMouse

Quote from: "Maarten"
Quote from: "AmericanMouse""Maarten, I highly doubt that, even with the new Shanghai project going online after the Olympics in Beijing this fall.  The new castle there will be more than likely based on Rapunzel."

"Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about cloning Anaheim's Sleeping Beauty Diorama to Hong Kong's Sleeping Beauty Castle, since their castle is exactly the same and sits empty."

You might have misread my statement, Maarten.  When I said "I highly doubt that," it was about said diorama cloning.  After September, most of the focus in China will be on  building Shanghai Disneyland, and I personally do not believe there will be a diorama inside HKDL's Sleeping Beauty Castle.  Remember, HKDL was built on the cheap, as it were, and the people there wanted a clone of Anaheim pre-1960s as it were.  There is no Frontierland/Westernland there when it was originally built, but they are in the process of building one now.

Maarten

Quote from: "AmericanMouse"
Quote from: "Maarten"
Quote from: "AmericanMouse""Maarten, I highly doubt that, even with the new Shanghai project going online after the Olympics in Beijing this fall.  The new castle there will be more than likely based on Rapunzel."

"Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about cloning Anaheim's Sleeping Beauty Diorama to Hong Kong's Sleeping Beauty Castle, since their castle is exactly the same and sits empty."

You might have misread my statement, Maarten.  When I said "I highly doubt that," it was about said diorama cloning.  After September, most of the focus in China will be on  building Shanghai Disneyland, and I personally do not believe there will be a diorama inside HKDL's Sleeping Beauty Castle.  Remember, HKDL was built on the cheap, as it were, and the people there wanted a clone of Anaheim pre-1960s as it were.  There is no Adventureland there when it was originally built, but they are in the process of building one now.

Now I understand you. Especially your comment about Shanghai getting a Rapunzel castle confused me since it doesnt have anything to do with Hong Kong's castle. No offence, but after reading your comment over and over again, I still think it was a bit unclear. Sorry.

By the way, Hong Kong Disneyland has always had an Adventureland. And focussing on Shanghai after september is no excuse for not investing in Hong Kong. Especially when it comes to a cheap and quick addition like the Diorama.

AmericanMouse

And I stand corrected and editied that post.

The style by the way will be based on Eyand Earle's original 1957 designs, with new twists using modern technology that wasn't in place back then, plus there will be a special version for those disabled or who cannot climb stairs.  There will be a preview (in a recreation form of the original 1957 walkthrough) in the new 50th Anniversary Sleeping Beauty DVD to be released on October 7th in the USA.

Over at Davelandblog is a great article on the original Sleeping Beauty Diorama:

http://davelandblog.blogspot.com/2008/1 ... ma_19.html

HKDLfan

Maybe HKDL will get a "Maleficent's Haunted Tour" during next year's Haunted Halloween. :lol:

AmericanMouse

Well, the official reopening of the diarama is today (11/26) at 5 PM PT in Anaheim.

I find this really exciting, hope to see it in person one day. For those that are interested as well:

Some HQ official photos at Disney and more.

A really cool and very unofficial walkthrough on Micechat.