DLP is a Disney Bargain even for Brits

Started by davewasbaloo, June 13, 2008, 05:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

Hi folks,

I thought you might be interested on my recent study. 6 days in DLP on a fairly luxury budget is 103% cheaper to brits than a similar WDW experience.  And Disneyland in California is 12% cheaper than WDW. So if you are making plans, you might find this quite interesting:

http://intobserver.blogspot.com/2008/06 ... do-or.html
since 2001 (many before that)

Anthony

You've made a really good point there Dave, I'm surprised even with the weak dollar it works out so much in Paris' favour.

The way things are going at the moment, it makes sense that DLRP will continue to see more and more visitors in future years. Things like the great rail links, more compact design and the fact that people are starting to take shorter but more frequent holidays should all be good.

Walt Disney World might one day become more like Disneyland CA is for Brits, a one-off extra for the die-hard fans rather than an annual trip. DLRP will find a bigger local audience.

It makes you realise why all these rumours are now popping up linking into a second round of investments. Rather than lose these guests completely because the cost of WDW is too much, Disney can catch them closer to home. In my view, DLRP was planned as and should really be a stepping stone between DLR and WDW, rather than the small(ish) two-park resort it currently is -- ie. three parks, a water park, a bigger entertainment district and lots of hotels.

davewasbaloo

Thanks Baloo. I really think there could be a great opportunity for DLP ahead, if they play it right. Sadly I am getting some flamage from the FLA diehards who would just rent a villa and go budget to Florida rather than god forbid go to Paris.

experiment627

Hey davewasbaloo,

thanks for that fascinating read ... I guess in the next few years, Disney's strategy of going international with its resort will pay off nicely - with costs for flights (and transportation in general) on the rise.

But the Brits are funny when it comes to choosing Europe over America...  :wink: So we'll see how acceptance of DLRP compared to WDW will grow...
(...I am waiting for DLRP to be mentioned on Doctor Who like Epcot was a few weeks ago...  :wink: )

davewasbaloo

Sadly the amount of ante European prejudice, the language barriers, and some of the poor behaviours of the other guests can be off putting.

There is no such thing as the perfect Disney resort, they all have pros and cons (which is part of the fun).  I am disappointed thought that it may be a while before we return to California.

penfold12

It makes total sense these days that DLRP will grow in popularity, over trips to WDW. With long haul surcharges just raised to £200, thats nearly another holiday to DLRP for a family of 4 just in surcharges!

I really hope that DLRP capitalises on this, rather than reacting to the world credit crunch by putting all possible plans on hold.

Malin

Interesting observations Dave, it certainly makes the Resort appear a lot more attractive to British Holiday makers. I think once the US dollars gets stronger and prices still continue to go up, people on this side of the World will start taking notice. You also need to start looking at the continued construction going on in places like Dubai and Hong Kong to realise in a good 10 years, we will have even more parks fighting for us to spend our money in Asia. Of course we will have to take a serious look at what Air travel will cost by that point to deem if it will be worth it or not.

experiment627

Dave, I know it must have been a lot of work to compare the resorts that way... but how do they measure up against each other when you're on a tight budget?
(e.g. Pop Century / All Stars vs. Santa Fé ... Dining Plan vs. Half Board)

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "experiment627"Dave, I know it must have been a lot of work to compare the resorts that way... but how do they measure up against each other when you're on a tight budget?
(e.g. Pop Century / All Stars vs. Santa Fé ... Dining Plan vs. Half Board)

Hmmm, interesting thing to look at in the future. I have been getting some real flamage from the WDW UKFANs. I think it will make for an interesting future article - looking at the myths and prejudices for and against each resort.

experiment627

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"I have been getting some real flamage from the WDW UKFANs. I think it will make for an interesting future article - looking at the myths and prejudices for and against each resort.

I was just following the threads on LaughingPlace ... enjoy being flamed. (One usually is, when one is right...)

Must be a deeply rooted cultural thing...

davewasbaloo

The ones on LP aren't too bad.  I know most of these folks really well in real life. It's the ones on the Disboards, particularly UK planning. They are making me wonder about leaving all Disney message boards entirely.

littlemermaid83

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"The ones on LP aren't too bad.  I know most of these folks really well in real life. It's the ones on the Disboards, particularly UK planning. They are making me wonder about leaving all Disney message boards entirely.

Don't take it personnally Dave they are just loyal to WDW.  But i agree some of the things they have said about DLRP have been a bit harsh.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Epcot_Boy

:hello:

Just read through your thread at UK trip planning on Disboards, you certainly created a stir :lol:  :lol:

However it does seem to me many people missed the point, never mind :-"
I suppose when it comes down to it many don't consider cost or value for money when arranging their hols to WDW. :shock:
Shortly though, I think that might change, no, I'm certain it will change, and then many will have to seriously consider getting their Disney fix from DLRP.
Without the European Market, WDW certainly would have to have a major rethink.
I really hope that DLRP jumps on this and makes hay while the sun shines :wink:

Epcot_Boy :ears:

David

Rain

I've been to WDW twice and DLRP twice. Our trip to DLRP was in October and we've already booked to go back again because it's just much more "do-able" than WDW. I love WDW because I love Epcot and Animal Kingdom and because there is so much to do in Orlando outside Disney, like Kennedy Space Center and Sea World. But I find flying long haul a nightmare, and it's just so spendy. While it's cheaper for food and merchandise when you are there, getting to Orlando is just crazily expensive, and the onsite hotels are now out of our budget (we stayed in a moderate the first time we went, but that's out of our budget now). Also, the first time we went to WDW park passes were included for the length of stay, which has changed now.
We hope to go back to WDW for my 40th, so we have three years to save, but DLRP is somewhere that we can keep going back to. I love that we can afford to stay on site there. I love being able to drop back to our room to grab a coat without taking two buses. I love that my mobile phone still works there so I'm not paying $20 to call home. I love that we can be back in the UK in just a few hours and that the Eurostar doesn't require us to be there four hours in advance of departure.
We put off going to DLRP for so long worrying that the magic wouldn't be the same as WDW, but the Disney feeling is still there, just the same. And it's a lot more in reach for us at DLRP than in Florida.

Epcot_Boy

Quote from: "Rain"I've been to WDW twice and DLRP twice. Our trip to DLRP was in October and we've already booked to go back again because it's just much more "do-able" than WDW. I love WDW because I love Epcot and Animal Kingdom and because there is so much to do in Orlando outside Disney, like Kennedy Space Center and Sea World. But I find flying long haul a nightmare, and it's just so spendy. While it's cheaper for food and merchandise when you are there, getting to Orlando is just crazily expensive, and the onsite hotels are now out of our budget (we stayed in a moderate the first time we went, but that's out of our budget now). Also, the first time we went to WDW park passes were included for the length of stay, which has changed now.
We hope to go back to WDW for my 40th, so we have three years to save, but DLRP is somewhere that we can keep going back to. I love that we can afford to stay on site there. I love being able to drop back to our room to grab a coat without taking two buses. I love that my mobile phone still works there so I'm not paying $20 to call home. I love that we can be back in the UK in just a few hours and that the Eurostar doesn't require us to be there four hours in advance of departure.
We put off going to DLRP for so long worrying that the magic wouldn't be the same as WDW, but the Disney feeling is still there, just the same. And it's a lot more in reach for us at DLRP than in Florida.

Absolutely =D>  :)

David