Starbucks Coffee in Disney Village

Started by Kristof, June 11, 2008, 05:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaber

Photos from DLP.info

Reiana

Although every Starbucks has it's basic furniture, not every Starbucks looks alike. We have 11 Starbucks here in Munich and they are all different, because of the location and the environmental conditions. Some have huge windows and are bright an shiny others are very small with small windows and are quiet dark.

pussinboots

Just came back from the resort — the building looks wonderful in person. They had the signage turned on for a couple of minutes on Friday, and it's by far the most stylish building in the area. Love the retro mermaid logo (which is backlit with LEDs by the way.)

I'm sure Disney Village will be a sea of Frappuccino cups by next week.

Kristof

QuoteDid Starbucks design it together with WDI/EDLI? Do you know if this coffee house is operated by Starbucks or is it a franchise and Euro Disney SCA or Groupe FLo is going to operate it.

It's done by Starbucks and the former DCC (Disney Construction Company), which is now part of DLP-I. It consists mostly out of architects etc. (They're also the ones behind Val d'Europe).

pussinboots

Quote from: "Kristof"
QuoteDid Starbucks design it together with WDI/EDLI? Do you know if this coffee house is operated by Starbucks or is it a franchise and Euro Disney SCA or Groupe FLo is going to operate it.

It's done by Starbucks and the former DCC (Disney Construction Company), which is now part of DLP-I. It consists mostly out of architects etc. (They're also the ones behind Val d'Europe).

Did they have anything to do with the other recent changes? (The fluorescent colors, the balloons, the plywood signage and the strangely pointless lights in the trees, specifically.)

I should think not, because Val d'Europe is quite decent-looking as well... But I'm just curious who were behind that one.

phantom247

Will take a lookthis week I'll tell you what I think when I get back to the UK.

experiment627

Quote from: "Reiana"Although every Starbucks has it's basic furniture, not every Starbucks looks alike. We have 11 Starbucks here in Munich and they are all different, because of the location and the environmental conditions. Some have huge windows and are bright an shiny others are very small with small windows and are quiet dark.

Didn't know we had that many Starbucks here in the city. (I only know five...) :)

Anyway, the differences you describe are minor.
The only Starbucks I have ever seen that looked extraordinarily different is the one in Paris near the old opera house. Here, you enter the coffee shop through a regular Starbucks facade to get to a regular Starbucks counter. But behind that, a whole new "world" opens up where they turned an old, Empire-style ball-room into a coffee house. It looks stunning.

Could be that I unfairly judge every other Starbucks now. :)

experiment627

Quote from: "Kristof"It's done by Starbucks and the former DCC (Disney Construction Company), which is now part of DLP-I. It consists mostly out of architects etc. (They're also the ones behind Val d'Europe).

Mhm... am I just imagining things or are recent additions like the Imax facade and now Starbucks more "urban" looking than the rest of the Village? Would make sense if the guys from Val d'Europe would be behind it.
Now let them loose on the rest of the Village!  8)

Willow

Maybe DCC are planning on doing all the facades like this from now on?

It may take a few years but eventually the village will look modern like Starbucks.

Reiana

Short offtopic
@experiment627
(new) Platzl across Schubeck, Hauptbahnhof Plattform 11, Schützenstrasse, Rosenthal, Residenzstrasse, Odeonsplatz, Leopoldstrasse, Feilitzstrasse, PEP, Sendlinger Str., Flughafen

Anthony

Quote from: "Willow"Maybe DCC are planning on doing all the facades like this from now on?

It may take a few years but eventually the village will look modern like Starbucks.
I'd love it if every change had this much effort and money put into it. We shouldn't be too harsh anyway, all the *new* things in DV for the past five years have actually been great - PanoraMagique and its kiosk, IMAX, Starbucks and those brilliant planters. It's the touch-up jobs between 2003-2005 that weren't so hot (King Ludwigs is marmite), and I've never seen anything to prove they weren't done by the same DLP-I. It's probably just a matter of money more than anything, though they do seem to have a bit more vision since the planters appeared.

The trouble with that whole Disney Store/Arcade/Sports Bar/Disney Fashion/World of Toys/Hollywood Pictures side is that it has kinda been on the chopping block for almost a decade now. Why spend time and money updating those places if the DV expansion is suddenly given the green light and the World of Disney, ESPN Zone, etc replaces them?

Kristof

Quote from: "pussinboots"
Quote from: "Kristof"

Did they have anything to do with the other recent changes? (The fluorescent colors, the balloons, the plywood signage and the strangely pointless lights in the trees, specifically.)

I should think not, because Val d'Europe is quite decent-looking as well... But I'm just curious who were behind that one.

The smaller additions are done by the "traditional" DLP-I, things like the Imax, Vinci Parking Lot, King Ludwig's are DCC.

pussinboots

Quote from: "Anthony"I'd love it if every change had this much effort and money put into it. We shouldn't be too harsh anyway, all the *new* things in DV for the past five years have actually been great - PanoraMagique and its kiosk, IMAX, Starbucks and those brilliant planters. It's the touch-up jobs between 2003-2005 that weren't so hot (King Ludwigs is marmite), and I've never seen anything to prove they weren't done by the same DLP-I. It's probably just a matter of money more than anything, though they do seem to have a bit more vision since the planters appeared.

The trouble with that whole Disney Store/Arcade/Sports Bar/Disney Fashion/World of Toys/Hollywood Pictures side is that it has kinda been on the chopping block for almost a decade now. Why spend time and money updating those places if the DV expansion is suddenly given the green light and the World of Disney, ESPN Zone, etc replaces them?

It's on the chopping block? That would explain a lot. Because it's quite evident that that side drew the short end of the stick. The other side of the street is almost acceptable now, but the Disney Store side still looks like a gussied up Soviet office block. Inside, it's all barely been dusted since 1992 and outside it's all temporary-looking construction materials. So indeed, it's as if they figured it would only have to last another year or two.

However, what would the World of Disney store have to do with it? Which is supposed to go into the area next to Gaumont, as far as I know.

In any case, that side of the Village contains all the oh-so-vital stores, so if they were going to rebuild it, they would almost have no choice but to finish that World of Disney (or whatever) first. They would never leave the Village shopless for months on end.

Quote from: "Kristof"The smaller additions are done by the "traditional" DLP-I, things like the Imax, Vinci Parking Lot, King Ludwig's are DCC.

Well, then bravo Disney Construction Company. Let's hope they'll be given lots more to do at Disney Village.

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"However, what would the World of Disney store have to do with it? Which is supposed to go into the area next to Gaumont, as far as I know.
World of Disney would probably mean the Disney Store closing, same for the possible ESPN Zone/Sports Bar. Perhaps that's another barrier for actually building it, the fact they'd then have this huge redundant unit requiring more money?

I know nothing of any real chopping block btw, that's just how it seems. At least, I hope they don't care so little about that row.

lil-shawn

Here are 2 pic´s. Lights on for Starbucks!
found on DLP.Info