High School Musical to become a London stage show

Started by Anthony, January 28, 2008, 05:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

There's the DLRP show, the theatre tour and the ice show... but that's not enough High School Musical for the Brits... :lol:

Hit Disney movie High School Musical is to become a London stage show later this year.

The musical will open for a 10-week run at the Hammersmith Apollo in June, with actors still to be cast. It will be based on the first movie, which turned Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens into global stars.

Two High School Musical films have been made, with a third in production. A separate stage show is already touring UK theatres.

The first two movies were made for US TV, with the new instalment aimed at cinemas. The stories follow teenage couple Troy and Gabriella, played by Efron and Hudgens.

Disney executive Steve Fickinger said: "I think the reason High School Musical has been so successful is that kids really enjoy aspirational stories.

"Like Buzz Lightyear saving the day or Cinderella going to the ball, kids can really relate to that."

Disney has already enjoyed stage success in London with Mary Poppins and The Lion King. The touring High School Musical show, which opens in Bromley, south London, on Monday, has already sold £9m in advance sales.

Source

-- £9m!!!

Patrick

Oh dear god, what is the West End coming to when they seem to need to rely on High School Musical for a stage show :? .  I can see why they did this, but really couldn't they bring us Brits something well more traditional.  I mean even a revival of Beauty and the Beast would be better :roll: .  Well I just hope they actually put something into this show, Poppins and Lion King were both rather original productions, somehow can't see this being so original.  No doubt will flop anyway, at least it can be said nice to see Disney are not giving up on London just yet :roll: .

Anthony

Quote from: "PATMAGIC"Oh dear god, what is the West End coming to when they seem to need to rely on High School Musical for a stage show :? .  I can see why they did this, but really couldn't they bring us Brits something well more traditional.  I mean even a revival of Beauty and the Beast would be better :roll: .  Well I just hope they actually put something into this show, Poppins and Lion King were both rather original productions, somehow can't see this being so original.  No doubt will flop anyway, at least it can be said nice to see Disney are not giving up on London just yet :roll: .
Most cynical post ever. :lol:

Sounds like it'll actually just be pretty similar to the touring production, so they can rake in the cash twice over.

Anthony

I like the Guardian headline on this: http://arts.guardian.co.uk/theatre/news ... 01,00.html

Disney cashes in on new musical

And "The Hammersmith Apollo show will differ from the production that is currently on tour."

TowMater

My sister would enjoy this when we'll go to London later on this year.
"To all who come to his happy place, Welcome" - Walt Disney

Previous Disney Visits

DLRP  | May 2001           |Newport Bay
WDW  | October 2004    | Calabry Parc Villas
WDW  | October 2006    | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | May 2008          | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | August 2008      | All Star Movies
DLRP   | November 2008 | Explorers Hotel
WDW  |August 2009       |Pop Century

Captain Pan

So how is it going to be different to the Touring Show? and the Amateur Productions that are going around (I'e helped out on an Amateur Production in Port Talbot by a group of Children aged 7-17 and Tickets sold out 3 weeks after going on Sale)

Are planning to add new musical numbers? As both the Amateur Version and i'm guessing the Tour has with Chad, Zeke, Taylor and Martha giving the first rendition of 'We're all in this together beofre they launch the plan to Spring Troy and Gabriella into the Musicale. (Only one example there are more but I can't remember it entirely)