Accessibility — disability passes, questions, tips

Started by Kristof, August 21, 2005, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2bigkids2weekids

Hi, we are going to DLP in December for the second time. Last year was great. This year I have developed arthritis which leaves me struggling to stand for long periods of time or walk too far in one go. I'll be bringing my blue badge in the hope of getting a disabled pass so we can queue for shorter times, I'm trying so hard not to ruin this trip for my family, we booked it before I was diagnosed and before we knew how bad the arthritis could get!

Question 1: if we use the disabled pass, can we still do parent swap on rides that the kids are too young for (they are 2 and 4)? I don't need a wheelchair or help getting on or off the rides so don't need to be accompanied by an adult. We really loved parent swap last year.

Question 2: we've asked the Santa Fe to try to accommodate us with a ground floor room which accesses the pathways to the walk to Disney Village, just so we can maybe get back to the hotel that little bit easier for a nap during the day if I need it. We had thought of upgrading the hotel to a closer one but can't afford it. Any advice about rooms in the Santa Fe?

Any other advice or tips for travelling with young kids and having the disabled pass? I'm so determined to give them a good trip as we had to cancel a summer holiday because of my illness so I feel like I have to make up for that!
Hotel New York - December 2016
Booked for Santa Fe - December 2017

donnadaydream

Hi
Just been told by a lovely member on a different part of the forum that carers can get free tickets so just wanted to check what the most up to date info about this is (I know these things regularly change!) We will be going for the second time in July. Last time we took our oldest nephew who is profoundly deaf with cochlear implants. When we got there last time we found out about the pass and as we had a letter to say he couldn't go through the metal detectors we were able to prove it luckily. This time we are taking our younger nephew who has the same disability so had already planned on doing the same again. I was going to buy the 2 day 2 park tickets in advance for all 4 of us for £116 each. However we'll obviously save money if we can get 1 of the adults in for free! Is it right that we just go to the ticket office on the day to buy his ticket? Would we have to do this both days or could we get a 2 day ticket? We wouldn't be going 2 days in a row as we aren't staying onsite if that makes a difference. Are the prices more if you buy on the day (as they are at most places over here)?

DC

Quote from: donnadaydream on January 14, 2018, 01:12:47 PM
Is it right that we just go to the ticket office on the day to buy his ticket? Would we have to do this both days or could we get a 2 day ticket? We wouldn't be going 2 days in a row as we aren't staying onsite if that makes a difference. Are the prices more if you buy on the day (as they are at most places over here)?
I can't help you with the disable part. The prices the prices are (way) higher when you buy at the site. I think it's 100€+ for 1 person 1 day-2 park so try to buy them online.

donnadaydream

If you buy them online you can't get the free carer pass! That is the only thing I know for sure about it

bensmum

Why don't you get 2 tickets online and then your nephews when you get there at disability window. It would mean you get the online cheaper prices and I believe you would also get 10% discount on your nephews ticket.

dlpowl

Quote from: donnadaydream on January 14, 2018, 01:12:47 PM
Hi
Just been told by a lovely member on a different part of the forum that carers can get free tickets so just wanted to check what the most up to date info about this is (I know these things regularly change!) We will be going for the second time in July. Last time we took our oldest nephew who is profoundly deaf with cochlear implants. When we got there last time we found out about the pass and as we had a letter to say he couldn't go through the metal detectors we were able to prove it luckily. This time we are taking our younger nephew who has the same disability so had already planned on doing the same again. I was going to buy the 2 day 2 park tickets in advance for all 4 of us for £116 each. However we'll obviously save money if we can get 1 of the adults in for free! Is it right that we just go to the ticket office on the day to buy his ticket? Would we have to do this both days or could we get a 2 day ticket? We wouldn't be going 2 days in a row as we aren't staying onsite if that makes a difference. Are the prices more if you buy on the day (as they are at most places over here)?

You need proof of their disability in the form of either a blue badge or a letter from a medical professional stating their name, date of birth, their disability, and the fact that they need a carer.  If it's 2 adults and 2 disabled children, just do this for 1 of the adults, you won't get 2 adults in for free as children need to be accompanied anyway.  The letter needs to be dated within the last 3 months and take the child's passport too, just in case they ask for proof of ID.  Go to Donalds Desk (opposite the entrance to the Disneyland Hotel) with all this info and they will issue you a free carer ticket.  They may give you a 2 day ticket but they have been clamping down on this recently so you may have to go to the desk on both mornings.  Once you are inside the park, take the info to the desk in City Hall and get a green Disabled Priority Access pass for the same child.  Their disability entitles them to this but you must have the letter from the medical professional.  The green pass means you can enter rides via the disabled entrance and most of the time this means no queueing.  Just show the pass to the cast member at the ride entrance. (TIP Don't use your green pass on Small World - long story but unless theres a massive queue, just do the queue.). No need to apply for a green pass for the other child as 1 green pass covers 1 disabled guest and up to 4 more people so you can all ride together on the 1 green pass. 

So just to clarify:  take info to Donald's Desk for Carer tickets.  Then take same information to City Hall inside the Disneyland Park and get a green disabled pass. Hope that helps. xx

polar vixen

Thatsctrue for rides but each disabled person may only have 1 carer with them for parade space in which case id still get a card for each child but you only need show 1 of them for ride access

lawleypop2011

We go in August with extended family including my mum who uses a wheelchair for long distances and she can't manage stairs.  We are keen to book Buffalo Bills but wondered if you need to book a disabled seat when booking direct with Disney or can you just purchase tickets with another agency and on arrival let them know you need to be in the disabled area?

polar vixen

We didnt book a disabled seat but when they saw us with a wheelchair they just automatically put us on the lower rows usually for 1st category seating so only 1 stair. To transfer. But without the cocktail.

lawleypop2011

Quote from: polar vixen on February 09, 2018, 11:12:30 PM
We didnt book a disabled seat but when they saw us with a wheelchair they just automatically put us on the lower rows usually for 1st category seating so only 1 stair. To transfer. But without the cocktail.

Many thanks for your reply, my mum cant manage any stairs so I assume we would be seated at the top as apparently there is a lift to that area and this this is Category 2 seating.  Who did you book with?

polar vixen

sugared_fae

Disney had introduced a carers discount for those booking a package holiday. You can get a discount of the ticket price for the carer. This can be applied if you book direct with Disney or through a travel agent. As it is new there is still a bit of inconsistency surrounding proof required.

For those not staying on site or booking a package you can continue to get a free carers ticket daily. You do not have to wait to buy all the tickets, you can buy them in advance and just pick up the carers ticket in site.
To avoid queues, go to the studios park to get the ticket

laurenlauren

I am visiting Disney in June and I have just called up to clarify the free carers ticket. If I show my European Disabled Parking Badge (blue badge) I am entitled to a free carer ticket. I do not need to take any more information with me.
We are a party of 3 adults & 1 child so we will purchase 2 adult & 1 child ticket in advance, and then get the carer ticket on the day for the remaining adult.

HildeKitten

Ok just to make sure that I get everything straight.
I have a European Disabily Card, so it's best that I buy my ticket in advance online, and then get the free carer ticket at the park on the day itself?

NCC1701Q