Accessibility — disability passes, questions, tips

Started by Kristof, August 21, 2005, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jax

Hi, with regard to gaining access with a wheelchair,  the dissability pass usually gains you accesss via the exit route, and yes you should all be able to ride together.

Incidently  whilst on vacation in Disney a few years ago, I fell down a kerb and badly twisted my ankle.  I hobbled round the park for most of the day and during the parade started feeling a bit painful so sent hubby to track down some pain killers.  The first aid post would't give them out, I had to go in there.  They examined my ankle and then sent me to hospital for x-ray (massive egg on side of ankle)  Whilst sitting in the French A&E for most of the day I eventually  got x-rayed and nothing broken,  Got a prescription for crutches and a splint.  The first aid post put the splint onto my foot and said  ' You'll have to take it easy and rest!!!  I said are you silly i'm in Disney that ain't gonna happen.  Anyway to cut a long story short a cast member sent me to city hall as i was hobbling a bit getting onto peter pans (didn't get the crutches, had to buy them???) to get a blue card (easy access pass)  I went and they gave me one straight away with out any notes at all.  This made such a difference as whilst queing i was scared someone might knock my ankle, and the other 3 in my party also gained easy access.  Sometimes felt a bit of a fraud when you couldn't clearly see anything wrong but it was also during a weekend so very busy and greatly appreciated.

i love main st

Quote from: "jax"Hi, with regard to gaining access with a wheelchair,  the dissability pass usually gains you accesss via the exit route, and yes you should all be able to ride together.

Incidently  whilst on vacation in Disney a few years ago, I fell down a kerb and badly twisted my ankle.  I hobbled round the park for most of the day and during the parade started feeling a bit painful so sent hubby to track down some pain killers.  The first aid post would't give them out, I had to go in there.  They examined my ankle and then sent me to hospital for x-ray (massive egg on side of ankle)  Whilst sitting in the French A&E for most of the day I eventually  got x-rayed and nothing broken,  Got a prescription for crutches and a splint.  The first aid post put the splint onto my foot and said  ' You'll have to take it easy and rest!!!  I said are you silly i'm in Disney that ain't gonna happen.  Anyway to cut a long story short a cast member sent me to city hall as i was hobbling a bit getting onto peter pans (didn't get the crutches, had to buy them???) to get a blue card (easy access pass)  I went and they gave me one straight away with out any notes at all.  This made such a difference as whilst queing i was scared someone might knock my ankle, and the other 3 in my party also gained easy access.  Sometimes felt a bit of a fraud when you couldn't clearly see anything wrong but it was also during a weekend so very busy and greatly appreciated.

thanks for the reply..that will be great to get then as that will really help and we can ride together....and poor you sounded painfull, good on the castmember for letting you know , i bet that really helped you out...x

jax

You're welcome

Yes it did, the kids loved it and now every time we go back (every christmas season)  they tell me to fall over and hurt myself to get the access pass.   (Not worth the day spent in the hospital and missing fantilusion, on my own as they wouldn't leave the park).  so now they just que or fast pass but usually only go whilst quite  Mon - Fri  not weekends.

Terkina

I booked with Disney today.  The woman on the phone said that I had to have my disabled parking badge AND medical certificate in French or English issued less than 3 months before the trip.  Is it really necessary with both?
Disneyland 1981, 1986
Walt Disney World 1986, 1990
Disneyland Paris 1995, 2011

Tubbyherman

I've only ever taken a photocopy of my daughter's Blue Badge (the original being in the car at Ashford) and this has always been accepted. I've also taken her DLA award letter but I'm sure I read somewhere that this was no longer accepted. I'm sure on the official website it says either/or for the medical letter/Blue Badge but probably best to check there just for your own pace of mind.

stacey-claire

Quote from: "claire2281"Grateful for a little help here.

My friend and I are thinking of going in December only issue is, she's not long had major surgery on her knee and is currently in months of rehab. When we went in the summer pre-op, she managed to get around during the day but had to have her brace on all evening and was popping pain killers like crazy.  When she got back her physio was very cross with her!

I don't want to be taking the pee but I do think getting an Easy Access Card would be very beneficial for us. She won't need it if the queue is a shortish one, but on the longer ones it's awful for her to have to stand and slowly walk around for that long. Her consultant has agreed that she shouldn't be queueing, but what would she need from him in order to qualify for a card from Disney? I've read what's on the site but it's a little vague - would a letter from her consultant saying she couldn't queue due to this recent operation be enough?

Honestly, it would be easier if we didn't need this but it was bad enough for her in summer and that was before they started rebuilding bits of her knee with bits from her hamstring!

Hi, dont know if this will help, my bf has a knee problem and had an operation yesterday on it, so i thought it best to email disney, and they said all he would need is a note from his doctor dated within 3 months, so if your friend can get one then they should be alright getting a pass, the note just says what is wrong with him, mentions about various operations and states that he cannot stand for prolonged periods of time xx :belle:
To see fairies, you have to belive in fairies

Santa Fe- March 2010
Cheyenne- December 2010
Next trip- July 2012 (wish we could go sooner)

claire2281

Quote from: "stacey-claire"Hi, dont know if this will help, my bf has a knee problem and had an operation yesterday on it, so i thought it best to email disney, and they said all he would need is a note from his doctor dated within 3 months, so if your friend can get one then they should be alright getting a pass, the note just says what is wrong with him, mentions about various operations and states that he cannot stand for prolonged periods of time xx :belle:

That is extremely useful. Thank you! She already has her doctor's note from being off work for so long and that will still be valid then :)
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

captain rocket

I was recovering from a broken ankle and leg when I went in March and was using a crutch when a cast member on Buzz Lightyear suggested I contacted City Hall and they gave me a pass without a doctors note! The park was fairly quiet which may have accounted for their generosity! The greatest benefit for me was not having to go up and down stairs on BTM TOT etc so It would definitely help your friend even if the park is quiet

Coastergirl

Just had this reply from DLP regarding my son's autism, I'm surprised that there isn't a way of seeing the characters without a long wait/fight with other guests etc :-(  Our problem is that Matthew has autism and learning diffficulties, can't speak and doesn't understand much of what we say or the world around him so he doesn't understand queueing at all. He will be in his disabled buggy while we wait and because he doesn't understand why we are just stood still, not doing anything or going anywhere, not knowing what is coming so to speak, he will be really distressed and upset, screaming, crying, kicking and lashing about. Its awful to watch and will disturb everyone around us. It may sound like its just bad parenting and a naughty child, but it really isn't - it is a medical condition and there is no 'fix' as such. I just hope he enjoys this trip and we get through it ok. here's their reply:

Dear Mrs (Coastergirl),

Thank you for your recent e-mail reservation to the Sequoia Lodge from the 06th till the 09th of February 2011.

We recommend you to visit City Hall in Disneyland Park or Studio Services in Walt Disney Studios.
A Disney Cast Member will advise you on access to attractions and will provide you with an Easy Access Card id required.

The Easy Access Card allows you to access certain attractions via entrances that have been specially adapted. However, it does not give you priority access to attractions ( it depends on the persons before with the same Easy Card. This card is only given to our disabled guests ) Do not forget to show a medical certificate issued less than 3 months ago signed and stamped by the doctor, certifying the disability and stating whether or not they need to be accompanied by a third party in order to get around.

Concerning the shows and the parade, we kindly advise you to go also to City Hall as soon as you arrive our staff will be pleased to check with you if it's possible in advance to reserve places.

We completely understand your situation, however an easy access card to see the characters doen't exist.

Best regards,

Thanks,
Rachel
Feb 2011 Sequoia Lodge
Mar 2009 Davy Crockett Ranch
Nov 2005 Kyriad
Jul 2005 Kyriad
May 2005 Kyriad
Feb 2004 Kyriad
May 2003 Sequoia Lodge
Apr 2003 Sequoia Lodge
Nov 2002 Hotel New York
May 2002 Sequoia Lodge
Mar 2001 Sequoia Lodge
Nov 2000 Disneyland Hotel
May 2000 Newport Bay
Feb 2000 Sequoia Lodge

Adam

It's a shame they don't do a pass like you suggested. However, it might be worth discussing your idea at City Hall, as they may be able to help you gain access to characters more quickly or perhaps they can arrange to meet a character at another location seperately. It is always worth asking, as the cast members will try and help and also, unlike those manning the emails, are more likely to have been asked a similar question before and already have some ideas.

Tubbyherman

Coastergirl

I have a daughter with autism, and we go to DLRP regularly as we find they are so understanding about her difficulties. She to has no concept of queuing and gets very distressed when made to wait, she also can lash out, shout and squeek.

With the easy access pass, it's true you don't get priority access to rides, but we've found that more often than not you do get on the next ride. You are able to stand in the disabled area during the parades, it is supposed to be restricted to the disabled person and 1 helper, but again you usually all get in (providing there's not a crowd of you). Also if there is a particular character my daughter would like to see I have shown the card to the CM and they allow my daughter to go up without having to wait or fight with the other families. The CM are very undersatnding and have always helped wherever possible.

I have to say going to DLRP is good therapy for my daughter, she turns into a different child when we're there. Seeing her willing engage with the characters is enough to bring tears to your eyes, and when she throws her arms around them.....well I'm sure you can imagine.

My daughter doesn't have any sensory issues (ie sounds) but they may be something you need to consider.

toonarmylass

I  already tried to leave a comment but for some reason it didn't post, when I go with my lad he is in a wheelchair and I have the easypass too, and no there isn't a specific card but if I just go to the exits of the photo area, the castmember askes to see my pass and takes us up to the character, and if it is a walk around character I just have a word with the castmember and they have always been kind enough to bring the character over to him! Hope this helps x

Coastergirl

Thanks Adam, Tubbyherman and toomarmylass, that's really reassuring...

Tubbyherman - my son is similar, no real sensory issues that will worry me. When we've been to Legoland or Thomasland at Drayton Manor, he's loved it and hasn't been overwhelmed. Even with the wristband at Legoland, he got really anxious waiting to go on, even though he could see that the ride was still running and he knew that he would get on the next one - it is crazy, I wish I could get through to him that it is ok. We couldn't find the exit to one ride, so my hubby took him through the main queue - the ride seated about 26 people I guess, and there were only about 10 in the queue so its not like we were going to miss a ride but Matthew went absolutely ballistic. My hubby struggled to restrain him, he was lashing out and kicking, yelling etc (non-verbal so he couldn't show his frustration any other way). As soon as he got on the ride and it started moving, he was fine.

He loves big furry characters, we saw one at the airport last year and he ran straight up to him and cuddled him. He was so cute, he grabbed the teddy bear and lifted his own legs up as if to say "pick me up" - the bear actually did a little bit it was so adorable!

Thanks again for all your reassurances.

Rachel x
Feb 2011 Sequoia Lodge
Mar 2009 Davy Crockett Ranch
Nov 2005 Kyriad
Jul 2005 Kyriad
May 2005 Kyriad
Feb 2004 Kyriad
May 2003 Sequoia Lodge
Apr 2003 Sequoia Lodge
Nov 2002 Hotel New York
May 2002 Sequoia Lodge
Mar 2001 Sequoia Lodge
Nov 2000 Disneyland Hotel
May 2000 Newport Bay
Feb 2000 Sequoia Lodge

haribosmum

Am really hoping the queues aren't long when I'm there next week (same time as Coastergirl by the looks of it).

Daughter has hypermobility syndrome, which has been diagnosed by consultant and she sees a physio.  She uses a normal pushchair still as only just turned 3, but has problems standing/walking for long times (it was explained to me that she feels like she's run a marathon after just a normal stroll!)  Normally I carry her in the queues etc but I'm now seeing a physio too due to damaging my hip from carrying her so much!!!

I have her latest letter from Physio but not sure it details enough for an Easy Access pass.  If we go again I think I'll be a bit more organised and get a letter in advance.  Hopefully as she grows it will improve, but my nephew had to spend a some time in a wheelchair with the same issue :-(  I did consider taking a little tripod stool for her to sit on in queues, but not sure where we'd put it when we get on rides!
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

bethella

Does anyone know how many people are allowed on rides via the easy access pass? im in a wheelchair and going to disney with my 3 kids and hubby, but ive read somewhere that only the disabled guest plus 3 people are allowed on rides via this way?? obvously if it is only myself and 3 then that leaves one of my kids out  :(  as we are a family of 5.
2003 Santa Fe
2005 Walt disney florida
2011 October Santa Fe