Disney Village Expansion/Improvements

Started by Kristof, August 21, 2005, 02:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

I've translated this interesting article from DLRPmagazine.  They're finally realising what fans are asking for many years now.

Disney Village will remain under construction untill half december, improving the experience but also the safety of the visitors.

The size of the main entrance will be increased (16 meters instead of 8 ) and will be moved a few meters to be closer to the Vinci car park and to lign up with the flow of guests when the Disneyland park closes, the columns will be removed to improve the visibility, the Central Scene will become a stage for animation.  Vegetation and new lightning will be added so that Disney Village becomes a pleasant and warm place.

Backstage will undergo a rehab too for the comfort of the Cast Members.

Anthony

Excellent!  This is all VERY long overdue, but *finally* Disney Village has the chance to renew its image into something much more pleasant.  I often read people's thoughts about the resort who love it all apart from Disney Village and think the Village is very tacky and unwelcoming, so perhaps in a few months/years, this will be different.

The change already is amazing - look how good it looks without the central stage!!

(photo by Joel)

It's so much lighter and brighter already.  I just hope they put something good into that space.  I hope they remove that pylon/pillar and put some kind of nice outdoor seating/green area there.

As an extra note, I read somewhere that the only pylons they'll be removing are the ones which directly block the path.  At first I thought they'd be removing them all, but it seems they won't.  I suppose it's expensive to remove ones which are sticking out of buildings, and as long as they don't block a path they're OK.  If you go back to page 1 you can see the pylons along the path are missing - it only took me about a week to notice!  :lol:

The only unfortunate thing about removing the Central Stage and so on is that it really exaggerates how terrible the architecture is.  :(

Anthony

You can see more photos of the new NEX Arcade on Joel's latest photo hunt: http://joel.at.dlp.online.fr/dlp/20051011/

When I heard they were putting an arcade in there I was a bit worried that it'd be just as horrible as the resort's old arcades, but luckily the new outside company have made it bright, colourful and nicely organised.  Different types of activities are in different sections and it looks surprisingly clean and well-designed for an arcade.  I expected the bowling to be the small arcade kind, but the bowling they've got in there still looks quite good despite that.  It's all new and modern - I hope they keep it that way.  :wink:

They should put up some extra exterior decoration and a proper entrance sign for the arcade soon, as seen in the photo on the official site:  (which actually looks fake, but it must just be because they've photoshopped the sign onto it, lol)

Kristof

What's that car doing there on that picture???  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Anthony

Quote from: "raptor1982"What's that car doing there on that picture???  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Yet another Moteurs... Action! stunt mistake...  :roll:  :lol:

Jorien

is it from the stunt show? That's Opel! Looking at that picture i thought it was a Renault! LOL!!!  :wink:  :P

Anthony

Quote from: "Jorien"is it from the stunt show? That's Opel! Looking at that picture i thought it was a Renault! LOL!!!  :wink:  :P
Renault is taking over your mind!  I actually meant that maybe another mistake at the stunt show caused the car to land there during one of the stunts...  :wink:

The latest on the Disney Village changes are as follows:

(Source & more: http://www.dlrp.fr/actularge.php?id=110 )

They've taken down a lot of the lights that used to form the starry sky, and that's all.  Once they finish that I suppose they'll begin to remove the pillars in the middle of the street.  It's surprising how different it looks already without the starry sky wires there.  It makes the Village look even more grim and dirty than it did before, because your attention is really drawn to the buildings.  I suppose I just need to remember that this is part of a longer program and that in the end it'll all look much better.  :)

Jorien

Quote from: "Baloo"
Quote from: "Jorien"is it from the stunt show? That's Opel! Looking at that picture i thought it was a Renault! LOL!!!  :wink:  :P
Renault is taking over your mind!  I actually meant that maybe another mistake at the stunt show caused the car to land there during one of the stunts...  :wink:  

I know what you meant.... that's what i meant too!  :wink: But it's weird then that it looked like a Renault standing there instead of an Opel, lol!  :P
Sorry, i've just got too many Renaults around me all day i think.....  :wink:

Anthony

Quote from: "Jorien"
Quote from: "Baloo"
I know what you meant.... that's what i meant too!  :wink: But it's weird then that it looked like a Renault standing there instead of an Opel, lol!  :P
Sorry, i've just got too many Renaults around me all day i think.....  :wink:
I thought you understood, but I wasn't sure!  :D

If it is a Renault, then maybe it's a new prop for outside Laser Blast?  It could be Buzz's version of the Reinstella...  :o

Anthony

The first of the pillars has already been removed!

(dlrp.fr)

I wasn't sure how it would look without them, but I think it looks better already!  :D   I wonder what they'll replace it with?  If they leave the space empty then they'll have to redo the paths since there'll be a gap there.  I hope they put some flowers and a couple of trees in there, perhaps surrounded by some nice benches...  :) Any other ideas?

Anthony

Pylon number 2 is GONE!

*image missing*
(dlrpmagazine.com)

You can get more of an idea of how the Village will look when they're all gone now.  I love it!  Just put some trees in those spaces like I said before, and it'll be totally different!  :D

The old pylons are now lying on the old DV parking lot:

*image missing*

flor

funny they didn't remove the statues :d

Anthony

Quote from: "flor"funny they didn't remove the statues :d
Yeah - I wonder if they'll keep the pylons, for old time's sake, or just throw them away?  :?

More good news now:

4 pylons gone!

(photo: http://www.castmember.tk)

NEX sign going up!

The NEX arcade suddenly looks a lot more inviting and interesting, and I still can't believe the changes in DV's main avenue.  With only 4 pylons gone and still some horrible black square boxes left, but it looks SO good.  The colours of the buildings stand out much more and it just looks much friendlier and nicer-looking, don't you think?  :D  :D

Anthony

Take a look at the new-look for Disney Village's Central Stage area:

:arrow: http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/4471 ... e017ty.jpg

:arrow: http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/7208 ... e022tn.jpg

Source: Micechat

Yes, apparently these really are official concept arts from Imagineering, who seem like... orange.  A lot.  Perhaps too much?

Ah well, it's bright and lively and it looks *way* better than before.  After all, this is probably/hopefully just a temporary brighten-up of the area, whilst they're waiting for the Sports Bar and Disney Store to close...

Kristof

New pictures from dlrp.fr: